Word limits (1 Viewer)

ubermale

HSC
I have quite a strict word limit for my hand-in English assessment task that is due in a few days. I have finished the majority of the assignment except I am significantly over the word limit.

In the past I have gone well over word limits and never been penalised, but since this is my first English assessment task in senior school, I was wondering if more emphasis would be placed on word limits.

So basically I'm asking for experiences that people have had with word limits and any knowledge over whether they actually matter, since I have butchered out as much as I can from my report and any more editing will require me to reduce the quality of it.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Well, it's not like the person marking your work is actually going to scrutinisingly start counting ever word. It's unlikely that they would notice unless it's really obvious, eg. you're missing a page or two.

terminator69

HSC
Personally I never worry about it. If the content is good it would be strange to lose marks for writing too much. Then again I only started year 11 this year, wth do i know? (rhetorical question, answer is nothing).

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Usually 10% more or less around the word limit is fine.

ubermale

HSC
jellybelly59 said:
my school says u can go above or under the word limit by 10 % not sure bout urs
Well our school tells us it has to be ridiculously close to the word limit; they insist that they count the word, which is bs of course.

jellybelly59 said:
lol oh u do noe prepositions dont count right?
I had no idea about that. Our school has never mentioned that, all they have told us is that quotes don't count in word counts.

Roguedeth

HSC
In uni 10% + or - word limit if -.25 marks for each 10% under or over word limit. The deduction varies.

HSC
It'd be best to stay within the limits if you think they'll check the word count. Being succinct is a skill in itself anyway.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I hate word limits. I always go over. :(

But, the usual restriction is within 10%. If I go over by too much, I argue that 'the' 'it' 'she' 'he' 'a' 'as' etc aren't 'words'.

bored of sc

HSC
write the number of words you have at the top - but lie about how many words there are - do this if you are evil and want to feel guilty ;)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
bored of sc said:
write the number of words you have at the top - but lie about how many words there are - do this if you are evil and want to feel guilty ;)
Been there, done that. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)