Working at clothing retail stores... (1 Viewer)

leathaface

I just walked by Mooks at Town Hall and they had 2 casual positions vaccant so I handed in my resume. I have a few questions...

1) Is 21.5 hours enough for casual workers? Great for Casual workers or too little for casual workers?

2) How much are the average pay of an 18 year old working at these clothing retail stores? I know its different for everyone of them, but can someone give me a rough estimation?

capsicum

HSC
1) 21.5 hours is like part-time! isn't it? if you're giving them 21.5 hours of your time to play with, then it'd be great as you have a higher chance of being rostered for more hours than someone who is available 10 hrs per week

2) i wouldn't have a clue about this one, but i'm pretty sure it's good pay. i heard general pants pay really well to 18s. dunno though

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
1. yeah i agree with capsicum, if you're more flexible, even if they don't use you for 21 hours, they will know they can call you regularly, i think it's good.

2. since most shops around 18 are about $10 i would go with that, but i really have no idea

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
21 hours is like part time.. im part time and thats what i get. youll have a better chance of moving up the ranks if ur there more often :)

as for average pay... no idea

leathaface

From the responses I'm getting, I quite happy with the fact that I have 21 hours placed down. I hope Mook will call me soon because i really need the money.

At the interview (should I ever get called up)I might ask them to change the times, instead of having a 3.5 hour shift on Tuesdays, I might just have a 10 to 5 shift on Sundays. Because Sundays is higher pay... or at least I hope.

crazylilmonkee

HSC
average for 18 year old is about $12.50 i think
minimum for 18 yr old part time i think is $9

capsicum

HSC
leathaface said:
At the interview (should I ever get called up)I might ask them to change the times, instead of having a 3.5 hour shift on Tuesdays, I might just have a 10 to 5 shift on Sundays. Because Sundays is higher pay... or at least I hope.
not unless you know you've got the job! or they confirm times with you or they ask if there's anything you want to finalise, etc. if they only speak to you for short and you know they;'ve got many more people to interview, don't tell them yet. i dont think it'll leave a good impression cuz they might think "oh, this person didnt initially know what times he/she wanted to work", you know? eek!

leathaface

I just hadned resume in, how long do you think I should wait for them to call me? Should they ever call me that is...

capsicum

HSC
i dont know about this one. sorry. but did u had in an application letter? wait, i guess they wouldn't need it if they only asked for ur resume. hopefully they'll call u either way to let you know if they wanna talk to u so ur not hanging on the edge thinking about it.

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
when i was 18 i was getting 11.65 working in a clothing retail store. now i'm on 13.29 as a 19 y.o.

they should generally ring you the same day or the day after if they're interested. at least that's what it's like at my store.

21.5 hrs is pretty good if yr studying at the same time as working :)

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
leathaface said:
From the responses I'm getting, I quite happy with the fact that I have 21 hours placed down. I hope Mook will call me soon because i really need the money.

don't do that. they have those times there for a specific reason, they may have particular purposes for rostering their next applicant on at those times.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
just because you have the times there doesn't mean you'll get them, i wouldn't ask them at the interviews, only if very confident after you have been working for a while

mishka

HSC
N/A
yeah retail is good to get into - i work at kmart and although i'm not 18 yet, i know an 18 year old gets paid nearly $12. surely a shop like mooks would be a bit more, being in the city and all. and 20 hours i think is classified as part time (someone want to verify that???!!!)
p.s. have you heard if you got the job yet??

cko

HSC
if you wanna do casual then why don't u go to a recruitment place like "adecco" or "manpower", coz they need lots of people you'll b almost guaranteed regular shifts (but u mayb need a few weeks) n tha pay is fkn awsome. Like right now i make almost $21 n im 17.

brentosbreezer

cko - does 'manpower' have a website? lol... they sound like something else... heh

Hey, if i wanted a casual job in clothing retail, anyone have any tips on where I should start looking?

Also, if i just went around to stores i'd be interested in working in and just gave them copies of my resume, do you reckon that'd work? has anyone tried this?

i'm a total newb :-( ... (but i reckon my resume is fantastic)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)