Working Holiday (1 Viewer)

lexonfire

HSC
Hey guys,
I'm currently looking into gap year options for 2008 as I am pretty resolute n stubborn in the choice that I don't want to go to university straight away. But currently, money is an option and I'm tossing several things up, still, and at the same time, I am incredibly noob with travel stuff (visas, passport, insurance, etc.)

U know what would be really handy? If there were forums for this kind of thing.. does anyone know any forums where gap year people discuss all of that relevant stuff?

The idea is pretty new to me, still... but I know that I'm pretty much up for a working holiday but I"m not totally sure what it entails. Is there anybody here who's been on one? Did you have a lot of restrictions on you as a foreigner? As in, did you not have enough time to travel around to other countries, etc.

For my gap year, I'm not completely sure working in one country for the entire time would be exactly my idea of time well spent... so can they be flexible? Of course, I'd value it in itself cos I'm already immersing myself in a culture, but for many working holiday packs that organisations offer, many of them are primarily for the UK which hasn't always been on the top of my list as a destination (let alone somewhere to stay all year round). IN the end, it would be ideal for earning money on top of what i've already got.

Ooh, that being said, how much is realistic to save up before going? I'd love to do Europe tours as well but heck that's gonna be a pain in the wallet.

Oh yeah and I'm also looknig into teaching english overseas... but the destinations for that are mainly in asia, which i personally don't want to go to, because I already experience a lot of it with my ethnic background :p (the point is to experience something completely new)...

I just don't really know where's a good place to start... u know, what'd be a good plan for a working holiday that lasts at most a year.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
Firstly figure out what you want to do and where you want to do it.

I know a lot of people who worked at schools in England, there's apparently a big market for gappies to do that.

Definitely though, figure out where you want to go.

lexonfire

HSC
yeah i figured now i want to do a UK working holiday..

one of the issues with applying for the visa is that i need to show i have enough money to live off for the first 2 months.

has anyone been to the uk on a working holiday before? does anyone know the typical living expenses for 2 months?

ive also been looking at starter packs from IEP, YHA, TCP and Launchpad. If anyone knows any other organisations thatd be great. :)

Last edited:

elena24

HSC
HEY! Im also looking at doing a gap year in 2008..!! I have looked at all those organisation but i think these websites are also good. I too wanna work in the UK, London specifically and am looking at a pub jobs which also includes accommodation and best of all its all guaranteed before u arrive in the UK. I'll prob do that around early September for 3 months(early Dec). Anyways..good luck!!

http://www.londonpubau.com/>>>>>the one i am applying for

http://www.ukliveinjobs.com.au/>>>another good one check it out!

lexonfire

HSC
oh great thanks! i'll check that second website out... yeah i was aware of the pub ones too, it's a pretty perfect package huh? the only downfall for me is that they only take 19 year olds.. and i wont be 19 in my gap year until december! hopefully you will be 19 by 2008 or i just burst ur bubble. lol :s

but yeah a uk working holiday gap year is a great idea, except all the recent terrorist news within that area will probably stick in my parents' minds when i tell them i wanna hop on a plane to get over there. hahaha

oh yeah, does anyone know how much itll cost to live in the uk for a month? say the situation is the cheapest rent in london or the outskirts of the city aaaaand you're still looking for a job but you're trying to live as cheap as u can?

rozymisty

HSC
Go and talk to the great people at STA Travel and Student Flights. THey will realyl be able to hlep you adn maybe give you discounted student flights.

Maybe you could try your hand at being a nanny? That way you get paid and you get to live in the home in some cases and stuff like that.

if you are staying in the UK especially London, definately save up enough probably for 3-4 months since its so expensive. There are always lots of places that do working holidays whre you work in a bar. Might be a good idea to get a RSA certificate while you are over here, and save you money that way now rather than having to get it whne you are over there, although some organisations dont say you need one....but in Australia even as a glassy you need a RSA now.

I want to go on a working holiday around Canada in 2009/10, work mainly as a registered nurse and travel my way across the country, and maybe stop over in Euriope and some parts of USA.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)