Working in a nursing home (1 Viewer)

synthesized

HSC
N/A
Thinking of applying for a traineeship in aged care, because I need to switch jobs but I don't want to go into a customer service job and I need at least 30 hours/wk work to survive.

Can anyone here shed some light on what working in a nursing home is like?

What is the pay rate for a trainee? And what sort of people/skills do they look for in applicants?

Garygaz

HSC
Heya,

I work at a nursing-home on a casual basis during the holidays, and I earn around $20 an hour.

When working there I usually do stuff like data-entry, general maintenance and laundry. I'm lucky to be working there ( I know the head-matron) but I think you can get some sort of lifestyle degree from tafe then they'll take you right in.

It's not too bad. I worked in one with a mixture of dementia, bed ridden and older patrons who just needed minimal assistance. Generally, I think what they're looking for is someone who gets along with people easily, as my boss was always stressing that I had to be ultra caring to all the residents!

It's pretty rewarding, you get to know some of the residents quite well (I've become pretty good friends with a 40 year old guy with some spinal disorder) and when you're doing your rounds you can get into good convo's with them.

Although, one thing I have noticed about the nurses on duty is that they have to be constantly be filling in HEAPS of paperwork on medication, accidents and pretty much everything. Although, if you don't mind that it should all be good ^^

fernando

Poo
HSC
N/A
my best friend works at a retirement village. he cleans the eating tables and gives out the food and stuff. he gets paid around 21 an hour.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
Garygaz said:
Heya,

I work at a nursing-home on a casual basis during the holidays, and I earn around $20 an hour.

When working there I usually do stuff like data-entry, general maintenance and laundry. I'm lucky to be working there ( I know the head-matron) but I think you can get some sort of lifestyle degree from tafe then they'll take you right in.

It's not too bad. I worked in one with a mixture of dementia, bed ridden and older patrons who just needed minimal assistance. Generally, I think what they're looking for is someone who gets along with people easily, as my boss was always stressing that I had to be ultra caring to all the residents!

It's pretty rewarding, you get to know some of the residents quite well (I've become pretty good friends with a 40 year old guy with some spinal disorder) and when you're doing your rounds you can get into good convo's with them.

Although, one thing I have noticed about the nurses on duty is that they have to be constantly be filling in HEAPS of paperwork on medication, accidents and pretty much everything. Although, if you don't mind that it should all be good ^^
You know, he's there to 'befriend' you for sex, right?:eek:

CieL

HSC
My friend works in aged care.
She gets paid between low to high 20s/hr depending on what day and stuff.

Does stuff like cleaning people who can't care for themselves.. I think she's gotta wipe shit sometimes.. the more hands on type..

fernando

Poo
HSC
N/A
CieL said:
Does stuff like cleaning people who can't care for themselves.. I think she's gotta wipe shit sometimes.. the more hands on type..
that deserves $30s not $20s

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)