Would u still do English (1 Viewer)

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
English is painful; but I would still do it, simply because we live in an English country. Maths should be compulsory too. I hate it how the English people can get higher UAIs coz they drop Maths and take up the languistics.

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
Yeah but to do Fundamentals of English, you have to be doing English Standard (well that's how it goes at my school anyway)

What if your school doesn't offer Standard?

Well how about - instead of bitching about how useless English (Advanced) is, why not put some sort of effort in improvising your skills?

There's a reason why we all have to do English. That's to continue and improve on our literacy skills. Think about it, even electrical engineers, doctors, aeronautical engineers would have to do some sort of essay or thesis in their career. This is when studying English comes in.

Personally, I think English is more useful than Mathematics.
instead of lecturing me on going and doing some work, and improving my skills in english, in which i have gone up fifty places from year eleven to twelve, how about you go get a dictionary and look up what improvising means, and try to get your words right from now on yeah?

shit i'm in a bad mood.

duckcowhybrid

HSC
English is painful; but I would still do it, simply because we live in an English country. Maths should be compulsory too. I hate it how the English people can get higher UAIs coz they drop Maths and take up the languistics.
Maths people tend to get higher UAIs, they just work extremely hard in English to make up.

lychnobity

HSC
Yeah, would still do it. There's a sort of satisfaction that comes with the philosophical discussions in class.

But above all, it gives me the opportunity to talk about things I don't normally get to talk about, like in Frankenstein and defining humanity. It's interesting for me to discover my thoughts.

It may not be necessary and applicable to real life, but I gain a more well-rounded education.

And to the OP don't start raging - I take 4u maths and chemistry.

Xcelz

HSC
there wouldn't be a chance in hell of me taking english.

i think maybe if english wasn't compulsory it could become a more successful subject area.

I also think there should be a course where analysing texts is the major focus perhaps 'literature", another course for others who are not as interested in the analytical perspective, however, still eager to increase their own sophistication of the english language.

in saying that i wouldn't do english, i do support the values and character development that english promotes. i also acknowledge that people enjoy this subject and that is entirely a personal preference.

just not my cuppa tea.

Stephie-Rae

HSC
I probably wouldn't do it.

I think it's a joke that it's compulsory. Or even if the board of studies strongly feel it should be compulsory to study, that's fine, but it shouldn't have to count toward your UAI. It isn't fair that students that are good at english and humanities subjects but have a weakness in maths and sciences are able to drop their weaknesses in year 10 and carry through their strengths, yet students that are good at maths and sciences and have a weakness in english are forced to study a subject they're not good at, resulting in a lower UAI. If everyone has to study two units of english force everyone to study two units of maths and science to level the playing field. I have good communication skills. I can successfully speak english, i can also successfully write in english. They are skills i developed over my first 11 years of schooling. The HSC english course however, has not assisted me in the slightest, never in a career in physiotherapy am i going to need to critically analyse Hamlet or compare Frankenstein to Blade Runner, and yet its possible that i'm not going to get the UAI i need to study physiotherapy because i can't do those things. At the end of the day, it isn't fair.

Wow, sorry about the rant guys. I have an english assessment due Monday, so this is a bit of a touchy subject for me at the moment lol.

Stephie-Rae

HSC
I also think there should be a course where analysing texts is the major focus perhaps 'literature", another course for others who are not as interested in the analytical perspective, however, still eager to increase their own sophistication of the english language.
Completely agree

Xcelz

HSC
I think it's a joke that it's compulsory. If everyone has to study two units of english force everyone to study two units of maths and science to level the playing field.
completely agree here too. i think the fact that good maths people who work hard at english still get good UAIs/ATARS is good. what would they get if they didn't do english and did another course that interested them and they were good at? however i do sorta find it odd that we have to choose advanced english otherwise we get a spanking from the UAI scaling.

Casper_18

HSC
I probably wouldn't do english the way the course is right now. But i do like your suggestion.

jules.09

HSC
I'd definitely still do English.

It's very innovative, with the exception of Shakespeare and The Fiftieth Gate - Mark Baker. That only reason that sells is because of the Board of Studies' endorsement.

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
I don't like Advanced, it's boring and formulaic- but I love extension. So I probably would still do it.

kawaiinlove

HSC
I really don't enjoy going to english everyday and hearing "but what is the journey in this???" "what techniques convey this???" BUT it would be wise i do it anyway coz it gets me marks.

riyaa

HSC
i personally wouldnt .
english is like my worst subject, don't really think it is useful anyway

Rockyroad

Banned
HSC
No in hell, I hate English. If you say that literacy and grammar need to be improved, I don't think the English course helps with that. Either improve the course or don't make it compulsorary.

And regarding the attacks on ppl with spelling mistakes. Get over it. Why should you check a sentence talking about spelling more than any other sentence? Pffff.

We don't learn about the world or important issues in society etc. And we don't learn any grammar. I think that it is ridiculously formulaic. I think it's such a game and doesn't really demostrate intelligence.

Last edited:
HSC
No in hell, I hate English. If you say that literacy and grammar need to be improved, I don't think the English course helps with that. Either improve the course or don't make it compulsorary.

And regarding the attacks on ppl with spelling mistakes. Get over it. Why should you check a sentence talking about spelling more than any other sentence? Pffff.

We don't learn about the world or important issues in society etc. And we don't learn any grammar. I think that it is ridiculously formulaic. I think it's such a game and doesn't really demostrate intelligence.
says the person that does extension 1 english

roci

HSC
Of course I would! I enjoy English, it actually broadens my knowledge.
Even though I think Hamlet is a boring aos, I totally dig Belonging and Text in time.
It's not like I'd apply Mathematics outside of school anyway? LOL (for me in this case)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)