Votes: 25 33.8%

• Total voters

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by utopian731
Um, I live in sydney flyin'......or were you talking to Loqu
i was have a go at the person you were having a go at ... so i was talkin to loqu ...

lane

I'm under the impression that it dosent matter where you go as long as you work hard and ace the course all univesities are equall to some degree? Well I was under that impression untill hearing you lot .....some of you make sydney sound like an harvard which it probably is like but if it has a snobby atmosphere I could never go there aarrgh!

pri

HSC
N/A
ANU is like the best Uni in australia and its sooo easy to get into, ok the canberra factor is a bit of a bastard but its only 2.5 hours away...

After ANU Id probly go for sydney because I believe the atmostphere is important and Sydney has the highest cut-offs for the course I wanna do (psychology) so Im assuming the students are smart...

mind you I just finished yr 11 so Ive got a looooooooooong way to go. After you ppl go off the uni any feedback would be appreciated, expecially the psychology students because everyone knows psychology is the BEST course to do/

zannaz

Deloused
HSC
every since year 7 i wanted to go to USYD and there's where i'll be going to do commerce/arts . . .:D

chait

Originally posted by lane
I'm under the impression that it dosent matter where you go as long as you work hard and ace the course all univesities are equall to some degree? Well I was under that impression untill hearing you lot .....some of you make sydney sound like an harvard which it probably is like but if it has a snobby atmosphere I could never go there aarrgh!
haha sydney like harvard? aussie unis are miniscule by most standards. that applies to them all. whether a uni is good would have to depend on what you're studying. eg. mq has a v. strong rep for applied finance- that is recognised in industry. if you wnt to do honours, then a uni with a strong research rep would really help. <---- they're the group of eight unis. usyd and unsw aren't the best unis in aus as so many people seem to think. generally, the gp of 8 unis are the best in aus.

luigi

***LouLou***
HSC
Originally posted by !meeee!

i think the safest option is for me to remain silent on that point ;)
eheheh roshena --- most people from PLC wanna go usyd eh??
well i dont want to go there for the fact that it is a private school environment, i want to try something new.. hmm

plus uts is easier to get to :D

timmii

sporadic attendee
Originally posted by !meeee!
call me a private school snob but i wanna go to usyd. the courses are good which is a great start but i do appreciate the prestige and the environment and for me they count for something. i've worked my ass off this year so i reckon if i want to feel good about getting into uni and going to a place that i like the surroundings then i deserve to do that
Well my entire school wants to go to unsw, so I'm rebelling by wanting to go to usyd (partly just to avoid the school crowd, which from all accounts remains as a single clique throughout university...). Perhaps I'm an aspirational snob? Should I take snob lessons before i arrive so i can fit in and make new friends? Or should i just follow the crowd and go to unsw? If i'm going to be a member of a snobby clique maybe i should go where i'm already a member! :p :D :p

Disclaimer: not actually a snob....or not yet anyway i don't think?

Dan_the_man

I'm going ot Canberra Uni... not next year but the year after (deferring) next year I'm moving up to Sydney to go and work

schwang_thang

either uts cos i heard lotsa hot ppl go there :D n also cos its so close 2 central station n broadway. i also heard its work experience programs r terrific

or syd cos its prestigious n im in luv w/ the architecture

chait

Originally posted by timmii

Well my entire school wants to go to unsw, so I'm rebelling by wanting to go to usyd (partly just to avoid the school crowd, which from all accounts remains as a single clique throughout university...). Perhaps I'm an aspirational snob? Should I take snob lessons before i arrive so i can fit in and make new friends? Or should i just follow the crowd and go to unsw? If i'm going to be a member of a snobby clique maybe i should go where i'm already a member! :p :D :p

Disclaimer: not actually a snob....or not yet anyway i don't think?
my school already has quite a reputation @ both UNSW and USYD.. i hear that pvt school ppl often stick with each other..

personally, i decided not to follow the crowd.. for the earlier part of this yr, i was like everyone else. i feel like something new, which is why i'm not goin to either. of course i have other reasons for goin to the ANU. and no, it's not b/c of the lower cutoff (ppl seem to automatically assume that i'm goin to the ANU b/c i couldn't get into USYD or UNSW, but the truth is, i've chosen the ANU over them both). moving away will give me more independence (and freedom), so i'm happy :)

schwang_thang

Originally posted by chait

personally, i decided not to follow the crowd.. for the earlier part of this yr, i was like everyone else. i feel like something new, which is why i'm not goin to either. of course i have other reasons for goin to the ANU. and no, it's not b/c of the lower cutoff (ppl seem to automatically assume that i'm goin to the ANU b/c i couldn't get into USYD or UNSW, but the truth is, i've chosen the ANU over them both). moving away will give me more independence (and freedom), so i'm happy :)
*pat on the back*
gud on ya mate :D

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
I find these converstaions very amusing! Personally I'm sort of sad that I dont get to make a choice, Sydney is the only one that offers my course, but then I'm also sort of glad, because I dont have to make such a tough decision.
I never heard that Sydney was snobby before. I went to a private school but I'll probably be a loner at Sydney bcoz none of my friends R going there.

mannnnndy

chocoholic
I didnt really think sydeny was that snobby, but at the open day yesterday it looked like a giant private school. Sydney was the only uni that didnt give out cool free stuff yesterday. unsw had free food & drink everywhere, cool bubble pens, t shirts and the like, uts had free drinks as well, but at sydney u had to buy everything. When I pointed this out to some sydney students they said that they (mostly meaning unsw) had to bribe students to go there. So there you have it, some sydney uni snobbery. :p

chait

Originally posted by Mambomeg
I find these converstaions very amusing! Personally I'm sort of sad that I dont get to make a choice, Sydney is the only one that offers my course, but then I'm also sort of glad, because I dont have to make such a tough decision.
I never heard that Sydney was snobby before. I went to a private school but I'll probably be a loner at Sydney bcoz none of my friends R going there.
nvm there'll be plenty of pvt school kiddies there (me not included). the majority of my friends are goin to usyd or unsw. i'm goin to the anu to do com/ecos (it was a toss up b/w com/law and com/ecos) the unis that i wouldn't mind goin to are the ANU, unsw and usyd (& melb which i didn't apply for) - the only one w/ com/ecos is the ANU. i'm happy cos the eco degree is meant to be the best in oz and the uni ranks as the top in oz in many fields and has an int'l rep to match!

have fun at sydney! :) from what i've heard, it sounds like a nice place to be.

Last edited:

FunkyFlava

Psycho@UNSW
HSC
I'm heading for UTS or UNSW. Yeh, USyd might be all prestige and that, but my friends have told me that it just looks too goth and old with ugly interiors ... which might affect my studies lol. :p

I prefer a more modern environment as that's what I feel, imo, prestige and style is.

oh no :rolleyes: i'm getting sucked into the prestige/private/public/snobby blah blah debate now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)