writers block (1 Viewer)

vicburke

Capt. Schneider Bandwagon
HSC
what do you do when you get 'writers block'? I just stare at the screen and cant quite work out where to go with my story or how to take a different angle or perspective.

How do ppl come up with these 'different angle' stories and ideas? Help before I drop dead and cry!

"I know well what lies beyond my sleeping refuge. The nightmare I built my own world to escape...swallowed by in the sound of screaming, cannot cease for the fear of silent nights...." Evanescene

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
My method is to firstly take a moment to think about where your text is leading. If you find you do not have any ideas, the best option is to take a break from it, for the night or whatever. Usually, you'll find yourself mentally refreshed, and more able to devise.. You still have six months, so please don't panic. :)

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Don't worry, I had writers block until bout a week before it was due. You've got plenty of times to get the juices flowing!

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Yeah but there's all the other crap like the viva voce and proposal we have to BS for as well... And these things happen next week for some of us!

super katie

BEHOLD!
HSC
sometimes to help me kinda ease into the whole creativity mindset I do a few writing exercises. Just sitting and writing for ten minutes clears your mind and helps you focus. Its actually quite hard to write non-stop for ten minutes about anything at all. You cant edit it or stop writing. Physical exercise also helps me focus :D although i'm not too fit so thats only an option for EXTREME writers block!

Serpentia

I have writers block, have had it for the past 3 weeks

So I just yell and swear at my teacher, he tell me that I have potential and I yell "well its wonderful that I have potential but I'm still not f*cking writing anything" then we both laugh

I think my writers block is easing off...............................

Had some people laugh at what I wrote...... always a good wake up call :p

KarmaKitten

HSC
i take some time away from it and then it comes naturally when i dont expect it and i scribble it on paper and later work on it

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Find some inspiration, best way to do things.

If not, then leave it. Seriously it will help a lot, my story wasn;t finished until i got to school on the day of submission :D

Leap

free falling
HSC
Whenever I had writers block I used to get up in the middle of the night and write then. For some reason it was always easier writing at night.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
maybe writing with a pen and paper instead of straight onto the computer might help...but not forever of course...after the block is over than straight onto the computer might be easier

vicburke

Capt. Schneider Bandwagon
HSC
Thanks guys that really helped!
You will be glad to know that my story has taken a new angle after sitting down and writing a few 'streams of conciousness' (spell? Ahh....my brain is gone walkies again!!!!).
Dont know whether your interested or not but my story(ies) is based in Ireland and the tripidations and tribulations that takes place etc. Your advice really helped and now I am writing again and my story is moving along a bit more now.

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
i always get stuck for ideas to write about, i dont think i am very creative somwhow, but once i manage to think of an idea i can write and write and write and well write. i wonder if this is a common problem?

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
When i've got writers block, i like to read over my journal and then forget about it and something usually sparks. Or looking at visuals of what u are studying... U mention u were writing about ireland... i'd find pics of seniary and it prob. have nothing to do with what ur writing but calm u down adn make u think abou it

fuckfoot

has no soul
HSC
i don't think it's the actual writing that's the problem because the thing is-you're either in the mood for it or you're not
but thinking of what to write about... oh! ideas are a precious commodity

:: dreami ::

Diamond BOS'er
HSC
Originally posted by Leap
Whenever I had writers block I used to get up in the middle of the night and write then. For some reason it was always easier writing at night.
that is so true, one hot summer night, i devised out one whole story for my major work!

otherwise, vicburke, you should watch some tv or movies or even read some books... for me, i try to find things that work well with my major work and think about where the text is going! honestly, TV IS ONE GREAT SOURCE OF INFORMATION... if not sitcom, movies, cartoons, vid clips... THE NEWS IS GOOD TOO

it is also important to be able to shove your major work in the back of the draw and come back to it in a few days...

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
For me, i get really relaxed whilst laying on my bed, so ill sit there on my bed with a page and pen and write... and forcing yourself to writem that then breaks the ice and more ideas flow... just get it going and see what happens!

LiKe A FiSh

HSC
N/A
just leave it alone for a couple of days, or weeks..as the case may be..and then look at it again

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
fuck I've got writers block hardcore, and I'm doing critical! I have the outlines, the structure, all of it, but I sit dow and write and what comes out is pure crap.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)