Writing a Speech (1 Viewer)

Khan.Paki

HSC
For Module A (English) we have to write a speech. The two texts are The Prince and Julius Caesar.

Does anybody have any good tips in writing/developing a speech in that it doesn't become too dull? Like a creative way of starting and/or ending?

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. :guitar:

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Rhetorical devices such as rhetorical questions work well.

dirty_ink

HSC
What blit suggest. Also incorporate a good amount of eye contact and hand gestures, although don't overdo the latter.

I'm not sure if you've taken this on board already, but don't treat your speech like an essay in that you'll litter complex words everywhere because chances are that they'll just weigh your speech down and the markers will be bored.

Khan.Paki

HSC
Hmmm, I was thinking along those lines too. Do you recommend starting off the actual speech off with a rhetorical question? If so, any good examples? :D

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I'd recommend writing it and adding speech techniques later...

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
try to pretend that you are explaining something to someone...

klee98

HSC
Make sure you ask your teacher for the marking criteria!
Do something interesting like have having a theme?

Martin_SSEDU

HSC
If you're writing a speech usually the best way to make sure that you cover all the content without getting carried away with the speech devices is to write a full essay first that you're happy with and answers the question to the best of your ability.

Once you have done that what you should think about is looking at parts of your speech where you can turn some of your explanations into questions or starting off some paragraphs with an interesting quote or engaging statement. Keep your tone very conversational but formal and make sure that you use inclusive pronouns like we and you whenever you want to mention 'the audience'. These are just some basic things that you should do but I'm certain that by writing an essay first it'll save you time making sure your speech has enough content.

Khan.Paki

HSC
Thanks for all your help guys! I used all your tips and tricks, and developed my speech. Getting ready to present on Monday. Teacher said drafts were excellent. :D

moonshoes

HSC
N/A
Hey,

Make sure with your speech that you're not just reading out an essay. Speeches are about interacting with the audience, drawing a sense of empathy, using devices to satirise your subject or make you audience feel more connected with you and the topic.

Use sophisticated language but don't be formal. Don't treat the audience as if they're in year 2 or something. I've heard speeches where people 'dumb down' the content and patronise the audience. Don't do this. Use language that includes the audience like rhetorical questions or anecdotes or hand gestures to pinpoint certain audience members.

Your speech should be engaging. Even if you are speaking about something totally boring make it sound amazing by your tone of voice, speed at which you speak and expression. To make what you're speaking about dynamic include positive and negative themes that you can portray your breadth of expression. Slow down and speed up at different occasions, use a low voice in solemn moods and a higher, faster register in occasions when your explaining something more exciting.

Try and make connections to today or the times that these texts were written; chuck in some statistics and facts that directly relate to your topic (that is if you're doing intertextual context studies - which Mod A usually is (am I right?)).

A good speech will have a balance between fact and performance. Fact: quotes, stats, facts, relevant analysis and information; performance: textual devices, tonal qualities, engagement, empathy, humour, pathos... the list goes on.

And if you're speaking to a class, just remember that you can't let silly nerves bring down your performance. Easier said than done, I know. But just relax and enjoy it :) Use palm cards instead of sheets of paper and practice, practice, practice. Time yourself beforehand and mark on the palm cards (or mentally take note of) when you have thirty seconds until the time is up to make sure that your speech doesn't go over or too far under.

Public speaking is an essential life skill so make the most of this experience :)

- m.s.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)