Writing speeches (for presentations) (1 Viewer)

epicFAILx

HSC
Just curious,
reguarding writing speeches on palm cards (to assist with presentations) is it safer to write dotpoints, or full sentences?
what would be safer to do?
what would/do you do?
thanks in advance

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Safest: Full Sentences

Better: Dot Points

Best: No cards at all

What I'd go for in most situations: Probably the second.

eat_well

HSC
I wrote full sentences. You never know when you're going to stumble or forget a specific word you wanted to say. I little trick I do to help me remember everything is highlight the bits on my palm cards that I know I always stuff up around. That way, when I say my speech, I know exactly where to look in case I forget.

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
^ this. Go for the full sentences and when you recite it at home for practice, underline/highlight the words you always forget or stuff up so when your in your speech, you just have to look down and remember what to watch out for. Safest is full sentences.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Remember though, full sentences is much more likely to result in you reading, which dramatically weakens the strength of your speech.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
If it's HSC, you should have absolutely no palm cards. It should be 100% memorised to the word.

Only then can your speech be truly 1337. You can have emergency prompting cards hidden up your sleeve though (I did).

theind1996

HSC
N/A
If it's HSC, you should have absolutely no palm cards. It should be 100% memorised to the word.

Only then can your speech be truly 1337. You can have emergency prompting cards hidden up your sleeve though (I did).
Notsureifsrs or joking.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Notsureifsrs or joking.
To be fair, the ideal situation is to have it completely memorised with no palm cards. If you're aiming for top marks, technically, it's what you should be looking at doing.

theind1996

HSC
N/A
To be fair, the ideal situation is to have it completely memorised with no palm cards. If you're aiming for top marks, technically, it's what you should be looking at doing.
So teachers *may* scrutinise every part of your speech/look to take away more marks if you have palm cards?

And what if you forget a word, even for a second? That could be deadly.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
So teachers *may* scrutinise every part of your speech/look to take away more marks if you have palm cards?

And what if you forget a word, even for a second? That could be deadly.
It's not about taking away marks for having palm cards, it's about the boost your presentation gets from not having them compared to everyone else. Eye contact, free gesture, even stance. The importance of these things radically influence the way your speech is accepted.

On your second point, your positing a hypothetical that happens less often than most people believe. If you've ever seen actors perform, the forgetting of lines rarely happens, because it's rehearsed and practised. The same applies to the speech. You could have palm cards in your pocket for worst case scenarios, but really, if you know your content well, you won't need them; and if you do slip up, you should be able to adlib well enough to cover yourself.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Safest is definitely having the full sentences.

But I've never had an issue with reading palm cards, I like the security of having whole speech on cards. I do public speaking comps and I barely use the cards so people wouldn't even know I have full sentences.

Works a charm and always gotten good marks.

And I have done many dot point speeches too due to years debating, but I just prefer having the full speech there.

I only do no palm cards for short speeches or improvs.

Ryan_T90

HSC
I don't think there is anything wrong with palm cards unless your teacher is a Nazi.

Amaranth_

HSC
N/A
I memorized my speech for English word for word and attained pretty good marks. However, If I wasn't as nervous about stumbling upon a sentence or forgetting something, I would have gotten the full marks.

If you're going to memorize it all, just have a backup so you don't get too nervous and screw something up.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
I memorized my speech for English word for word and attained pretty good marks. However, If I wasn't as nervous about stumbling upon a sentence or forgetting something, I would have gotten the full marks.

If you're going to memorize it all, just have a backup so you don't get too nervous and screw something up.
You had the correct approach - well done on that count. Perhaps just a bit more practice =]. You'll be right next time! (your HSCs next year anyway, haha)

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
I don't think there is anything wrong with palm cards unless your teacher is a Nazi.
False.

bryant.jpg

Palm cards reduce the awesomeness of your speech. The wow factor of someone who delivers an emphatic, vibrant speech with no palm cards is undeniable.

theind1996

HSC
N/A
False.

bryant.jpg

Palm cards reduce the awesomeness of your speech. The wow factor of someone who delivers an emphatic, vibrant speech with no palm cards is undeniable.
iSplicer you organised bastard. No wonder you got 97 for English.

eat_well

HSC
So far, it seems like I'm the only person in my class who has bothered to memorise the speech. I still can't memorise it without occasionally glancing at my palm cards. Hopefully I get the top marks in my class...I'm so scared!!!
But yes, I wholeheartedly agree. Memorising gives so much more of an impact. It looks clumsy when you occassionally look up at your audience whilst reading everything word for word off the palm cards.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)