WTF, i just want a website ripper (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackbunny

HSC
WTF did i say to close the thread.

all i wanted to know is that. does any1 know a free (not shareware) program to copy a website.

its just like asking for a free cd burning or anivirys app.

WHATS WRONG WITH THAT?!

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
No. It infringes the copyright of the website owner. Those programs are illegal. Ripping a CD is also illegal in Australia, sorry :\

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
lol you people are noob.
make your own, heres a start <html>

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Actually - not sure about this so don't take my word for it -

I believe that saving a website in order to view it in your own time (ie. for temporary purposes) would not be a breach of copyright, however the reproduction of said material would be. That would include emailing the page to a friend, though.

I've never used it myself but I hear Offline Explorer is one of the most popular?

Götterfunken

HSC
Sorry my computer restarted randomly while typing a reply-

The best is HTTrack Website Copier
http://www.download.com/3000-2377-10039773.html

This program copies Web sites from the Internet for offline browsing. The installation actually allows you to choose not to install a Start menu folder, a rare favor. HTTrack Website Copier downloads sites into a My Web Sites folder it creates, which you will have to remove manually if you uninstall. On start-up, a dialog box immediately asks what proxy server it should use, which is off-putting. The sheer number of configuration options for mirroring made us dizzy. You can enable or disable external link crawling, downloading of classes of files such as DOC or JSS, and just about anything else. The default settings didn't preserve some aspects of some complex sites, such as font and background color, but surely that is just a configuration option in one of the many menus. Ripping an entire site took less time than clicking through a couple pages of it online. Whether you're a casual user looking to grab a collection of pug pictures or a Webmaster wanting to work on your site from a new computer, this is well-worth the free download.
Oh, and great advice mednez, as usual. :rolleyes:

MedNez

HSC
N/A
Götterfunken said:
Oh, and great advice mednez, as usual. :rolleyes:
blackbunny asked:

blackbunny said:
WTF did i say to close the thread.

WHATS WRONG WITH THAT?!
I replied with:

MedNez said:
It infringes the copyright of the website owner.
He asked a question, I answered it. I'm not sure why your sarcasm was needed?

Without iterating what anti said, the duplication of a website is the same as duplicated any other copyrighted work. Intellectual Property from a 'creative process' automatically falls under copyright in Australia. Infringing such work is a breach of the law.

While your intentions may be to only browse a site offline due to whatever reason, please be aware of the implications of what you are doing, and respect the appropriate copyright on the files. They may contain code segments written specifically for unique tasks, that belong to the original author, and are not available for use without permission, et cetera.

Götterfunken

HSC
MedNez said:
While your intentions may be to only browse a site offline due to whatever reason, please be aware of the implications of what you are doing, and respect the appropriate copyright on the files. They may contain code segments written specifically for unique tasks, that belong to the original author, and are not available for use without permission, et cetera.
Is downloading a website any different then viewing it? In both cases the site is essentially downloaded to the machine.

I'm sure most copyright accounts for fair use.

MedNez

HSC
N/A
Indeed. Fair use. If he's downloading it to sell or claim as his own, that's not really fair use is it :p You have to consider these things when you border copyright.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
anti said:
Actually - not sure about this so don't take my word for it -

I believe that saving a website in order to view it in your own time (ie. for temporary purposes) would not be a breach of copyright, however the reproduction of said material would be. That would include emailing the page to a friend, though.

I've never used it myself but I hear Offline Explorer is one of the most popular?
The difference in terms is significant in this sense:

Ripping - is the reproduction bit for bit of the original

Viewing - is the accessing of published material

The key word here is access, for one is obviously accessible, whilst the other denotes some sort of copying.

Technically, the two would be very similar BUT for the point that access is directed via the owners' will and permissions. The links and content are constructed and delivered in a way which is to their liking. Whilst ripping negates this permission of property and thereby infringes on copyright. (which is free and automatic in australia).

Its the same with books, no one is going to deny you the right to read a book, whether you can remember it word for word is irrespective, whilst reading a book, it is assumed as being published etc. But copying a book word for word via reproduction leads to copyright issues, due to the potential of this to be distributed and sold without royalties or fees being given accordingly.

I think thats the case here.

Last edited:

MedNez

HSC
N/A
Also, in a more formal sense from CAL,

Can I copy material off the Internet
without seeking permission?

No. If you copy material off the Internet
without permission you may be infringing
the rights of a copyright owner. It is a
common misconception that once material
is posted to the Internet it can be freely
copied: this is not the case.
Your honour, I rest my case.

HSC
hmm...its arguable. Maybe he is the author and wants to copy his own website that may be contained on another server?

Last edited:
HSC
No. It infringes the copyright of the website owner. Those programs are illegal. Ripping a CD is also illegal in Australia, sorry :\
I believe the law states (you may correct me if you can) that you are allowed 1 backup CD in case of any damage to the original. Therefore "ripping" a CD isn't illegal in all circumstances.

HSC
fullmetaljacket said:
I believe the law states (you may correct me if you can) that you are allowed 1 backup CD in case of any damage to the original. Therefore "ripping" a CD isn't illegal in all circumstances.
Actually you're wrong, Australian law makes no provisions for personal backups.

phizz

aka: Philly Cheese
HSC
ogmzergrush said:
Actually you're wrong, Australian law makes no provisions for personal backups.
It's legal to create one back-up copy of Media, provided: it is only software (or states in the license that it can be copied), and the end-user license deems it legal.

I've got a question on the matter of websites...doesn't the copyright laws of websites relate to their origin? IE: A non-copyrighted web page, who's origin host is in a country where copyright is not automatically applied such as Australia?

MedNez

HSC
N/A
Information sheet on copyright in Australia:

Owners of copyright have the exclusive right to do certain things with their material. This means that anyone who
wants to use copyright material in any of these ways may need the copyright owner’s permission. Activities which
may require a copyright owner’s permission are:
• reproducing the material (for example, printing, uploading to a website, downloading to a hard disk or floppy
disk, caching, keying into a computer, scanning);
By uploading a website you would be assumed to be giving people permission to 'view' it by having the browser cache it on the hard drive, but you may not be giving people permission to save the images/text/et cetera to their computers on purpose for whatever reason.

@playboy2njoy:

Without permission it is. 99% of the time it's sure the owner would say ok, depending on your reasons, but without asking you can't assume the copyright owners wishes.

@phizz:

Neither do I, sorry. I can infer however that it would be the same as dealing with goods whose copyright lies in another country that have been imported? Infringing here is probably still illegal under our act. That's a good question though =)

HSC
phizz said:
It's legal to create one back-up copy of Media, provided: it is only software (or states in the license that it can be copied), and the end-user license deems it legal.
You know, this is in contrast to what I've learnt via various University-level studies, so I'd be very interested to see some form of support for this claim. I'm aware that that's the law in the US and various other countries, but I was of the understanding that this mattered little in Australia, as we tend to adhere to Australian law here. Similarly, an EULA does not, at least as far as I understood it, override Australian law.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)