• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Wuthering Heights (1 Viewer)

Lorie

HSC
Is anyone doing wuthering heights........if so tell me what you think about it and so on. Because there is no threads about wuthering heights. :uhhuh: Beacuse i'm finding it quite hard to do stuff for it.

scruffy012

HSC
yeah mate i agree its a stupid post structuralist novel, although the voilence bits are pretty good, and joesph is funny, the novel as a whole is a bore, and fairly uninteresting, why it is a option is to me is beyound me.....

DONT TELL ME THAT BALLINA HIGH IS ONLY SCHOOL DOING WUTHERING HEIGHTS

Scruffy

elizarose

I have found it the most boring novel ever, at my school there are 5 year 12 advanced english classes three are doing cloudstreet, and my class is one of the other two stuck doing this terrible novel. I don't doubt that it a 'great classic' but to be honest i could really care about this kind of text and its content.

Lorie

HSC
elizarose said:
I have found it the most boring novel ever, at my school there are 5 year 12 advanced english classes three are doing cloudstreet, and my class is one of the other two stuck doing this terrible novel. I don't doubt that it a 'great classic' but to be honest i could really care about this kind of text and its content.

yes, finially i have someone who agrees with me. there is no way that is a "classic". The only thing i've found use for it is a drink coaster.

Lorie

HSC
are you taking a point of view that the book is looked at. My teacher has suggested that we use a feminist or maxist approach. I don't really know what to think.

what are we excalty meant to talk about this book in the exam???

elizarose

Novel of the millenium... NOT

Lorie said:
are you taking a point of view that the book is looked at. My teacher has suggested that we use a feminist or maxist approach. I don't really know what to think.

what are we excalty meant to talk about this book in the exam???
Yeah you have to include about two or three different responses to the text. For example you must have your own opinion but as you can't use the first person you could say something like "a contemporary response to WH is...", and then you could use the response of the audience in Emily Bronte's time, then a feminist or marxist approach. But whatever you do don't just prattle on from ONE point of view do multiple in an integrated way. Ie idea by idea not theorist by theorist!
Anyway dude, i hope this helps, let me know if you have any more queries etc. :) :cool:

Lorie

HSC
cool thanks alot for that. Just wondering, what views are you looking at Wuthering Heights from?

Lorie

HSC
elizarose said:
I think i'll pick Feminist and Marxist, they seem to fit better than some of the more challenging ones like Deconstructionist
Deconstructionist? i don't even know what that is.

scruffy012

HSC
deconstructuralist

umm loz, ok going off the name decon-structuralist im only guessing. but sturcturalist is the term coined for a person who sees one structure in a topic, and poststructuralist is a person who sees many 'structures' in an topic.

so im guessing that a deconstructuralist is a person who, deconstructs these structures in a topic and analyies thre reasons why the person has these views

IF IM WRONG PLZ CORRECT AS ITS ONLY A PURE GUESS

scruffy

hehe peom............

elizarose

nope

no deconstructionist critically analysis is when the text itself is completely pulled apart no other information is taken into consideration no context or anything like that. It allows the text to stand on its own in its true light

Annabelle

i'm doing the genre approach and the Marxist view

just wondering how can i conclude the essay

i noe i have to evaluate and enter my own opinion on the novel
but how? and do i have to agree with one of the approach? :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

elizarose

Goodluck ladies and Gentlemen

I suppose my post from above would answer your question Joioe. But i'll rephrase it anyway: In order to incorporate one's own opinon/view one should say "A contemporary critic may respond to Wuthering Heights..." etc although this would not be necessary in such a text type as a speech, journal entry etc. It depends on what the question demands.

muzzling

HSC
Word of Advice

Although the schools doing Wuthering Heights are in the minority, it is almost guaranteed that the majority will be doing Marxist and Feminist, as the state sees them as the 'easiest' - NOT TRUE!!
To maximise your marks, try doing something a little different, yet equally as simple, such as the Nature vs Order persepctive. Sounds a lot like Deconstructuralist, come to think of it. Perhaps they're the same thing? Also, unless you intend on spending 1.5 h on it, i suggest you dont do Psychoanalyst approach, WAAAY too complicated and long winded.
Best of luck all..
I agree with crappy boring, devil-book aspect... They say you should read your texts twice before HSC, but geez.. once through was enough to last me a long lifetime!
x

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Yeah, it seems that WH is being studied in the minority...Marxist and Feminis interpretations are not EASY in themselves but COMPARITIVELY they are. Maybe pairing a simple, straightforward one with a sophisicated one might be the way to go.

About the book itself? I love it. It's so powerful and sad (pity I cant find a better word right now) and just an all round great book. *stares around at the flabbergasted looks everyone is throwing at me* :p hehe

muzzling

HSC
Ahaahaha, it certainly helps when you like the text you're studying... i cant stand the thing :D Perhaps because the girls at our school keep playing the 'Wuthering Heights' song on CD at the commo... so over it :|
Me, i'm in love with Ros and Guil are Dead... funny, hilarious, fabulous
x

Lorie

HSC
Can you tell me more about this Nature vs Order persepctive, it sounds interesting. Yes feminist and Marxist readings are the obvious ones, but to be honest i think it's the only ones i know.

What critial readings are there about it?

Yes it is a devil-book!!!!!!!

muzzling

HSC
Oki doki, here we go... Nature vs Order :

The Dominant Reading get's its perspective from explicit references in the text. That is to say, references to nature vs order shown in WH through setting and characterization. Put more simply, Wuthering Heights represents the nature whilst Thrushcross Grange is the order, the household more influenced by social convention.
The two main opposing forces that present themselves are the dichotomy between the two estates and the different nature between Heathcliff and Edgar Linton.
"The atmospheric tumult to which its station is exposed" is not only a physical reference to Wuthering Heights but also alludes to the flair of emotion that occurs within.. In a bourgeois household like TG, emotions are not encouraged, but rather social conformity is the ideal. The fact that Wuthering Heights is isolated from society supports the idea of the household adhering more loosely to social convention.
TG is "a place carpeted in crimson", an outside bourgeois influence, as opposed to WH's "primitve" furnishings.
Lockwood even comments on the different nature of the place, being a refined gentleman himself, "it is astonishing how sociable i feel myself, compared with him (Heathcliff)".

Furthermore, the Dominant Reading uses the characters as motivators for change, and the struggle between nature and order can be seen metaphorically through Heathcliff and Edgar, respectively. Heathcliff has a "violent nature" and is "dark, almost as if he came from the devil himself". This suggests that he is less in touch with socieyt's values and more responsive to his own emotions.
Edgar is the epitome of conformity and lives his life according to societal expectations. The clashes that occur between himself and Heathcliff occur as a result of their different temperaments and their characteristics reveal the polarity evident in Wuthering Heights, rotating on an axis of nature vs order. Edgar has a "sweet, low manner of talking... less gruff than we talk here, softer" whereas Heathcliff was "rough as a saw edge".

All good? Sorry once again for the pic.. can't help it, i had to explain ti sufficiently or risk looking like a fool :D
lemme know if there are any queries.
x

Lorie

HSC
thanks for that.

Is that the same as David Cecils calm and storm approach, because it sounds alot like it?

muzzling

HSC
By the sounds of it, it is.. Different people refer to it as different thing, calm and storm, nature/order, Dominant reading... :D All means the same thing

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)