XP to Vista troubles (1 Viewer)

SiZmOs

"Shaken, not stirred."
HSC
Hey guys,

I've been attempting to fix my uncle's laptop for some time now, with a few difficulties. First off, he's running an Acer Aspire 3000 (I know...) With 512 ram.

He'd been having a few troubles with it (i.e. it randomly kept resetting itself), so a bloke at his work offered to fix it. Although, by fixing it, he didn't say he was going to install Vista on it. Apparently he did a dodgy job, and the problem still existed.

He was prepared to throw it out, and buy a new one. I offered to try and get XP back for him (at this stage you should know that there was nothing on the hard drive he was worried about getting back, he just would have liked the laptop to work).

I attempted to run a few virus and spyware programs on the laptop, however because it continued to reset itself halfway through, I soon found myself fed up with this approach. To this end, I tried to format and reinstall XP. This was also short lived, as the computer reset itself several times throughout the process. Now when I boot it up, I get an error stating "Error loading operating system".

Any time I try to install XP, it resets itself, as it also does when I attempt to run a CHKDSK scan or FIXBOOT whatevers...

Any suggestions would be appreciated, as at this stage in the game I'm willing to try anything.

Cheers in advance.

SiZmOs

"Shaken, not stirred."
HSC
Yeah, I figured it's the HD being all gay and corrupt, but it'd be nice to be able to fix it without having to purchase a new one.

SiZmOs

"Shaken, not stirred."
HSC
When I boot from the XP CD, I can get to the stage where I am formatting a new partition on which to install XP, but it's here that the reset occurs, if not before.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
I think that is a hardware problem as others have stated, and if you HDD is corrupt the only option is to buy a new one.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Does the laptop get very hot? Maybe try lifting it up from sitting on a flat surface (depending where the air vents are) to increase air circulation then trying reformatting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)