Y12 03 - Assessment Marks/HSC Marks (1 Viewer)

Originally posted by ellebelle
So which is worse, feeling smart at a dumb school, or dumb at a smart school?
feeling smart at a dumb school is much better, i did.I got respect and got four medals for coming first in things in year 12 and i felt so confident, that i felt good about every exam- great to leave yr 12 on a high!

MiKeY

HSC
Mine

Well... I go to a very small public school.. who's Dux in 2002 got ~90UAI... so yeh..

These are my assessment results so far:

English Advanced - 85% - 2nd/6
Mathematics - 98% - 1st/8
SDD - 91% and 83% (2 assessment tasks) - 1st/2
IPT - 94% - 1st/~12

Have EES and IPT Major Project in for marking atm (I'll be 1st in EES for sure, highly likely to be 1st in IPT as well)

Also, my Cosmology Assignment 1 is in for marking.

I got 82% in Portuguese HSC last year.

So yeh, I have *no* idea what kinda UAI I'll be getting ... :(

Last edited:

bobo123

HSC
i think people should just concentrate on getting 100% in each and every assessment that comes along rather than comparing results within their own school. Even in selective schools, there are still a percentage of bludgers who cant get motivated for shit but that doesnt really affect the rest of the people who want to do well.

pri

HSC
N/A
I agree, there are bludgers in a selective but the main difference between selective and non selective is prob that in a selective you KNOW 99 is possible if u put in the work, in some non selectives it seems almost impossible, so even though the rankings are crap as 99 is an achievable mark and you are more motivated knowing that you can get it.

muldersgun

HSC
what would solve it all is if we had standarised assessments across the whole state. Then there wouldn't be all this scaling school marks and ranks crap happening.

But what state in the world has these resources? I mean currently having over $1 billion defered to Aus defence from higher education you can't help sensing that education in this country is circling the drain.

JMHSO though.

Originally posted by YEAR12
No doubt its better to go to a less academically competitive school and get top ranks cos it gives you the confidence to keep going, you just get knocked down during HSC when scaling puts you in ur place.
Its no good feeling dumb at a smart school cos you lose confidence and are less inclined to try when you feel like a failure.
which one is better to you then? you're both ways on the topic

muldersgun

HSC
no i didn't mean teachers from each school mark their respective assessments. I mean a WHOLE standarised system where a central body conducts and marks all the assessments across the state.

It wouldn't happen in a million years but i think only that method which achieve absolute equality.

Re: Mine

Originally posted by MiKeY
Well... I go to a very small public school.. who's Dux in 2002 got ~90UAI... so yeh..

These are my assessment results so far:

English Advanced - 85% - 2nd/6
Mathematics - 98% - 1st/8
SDD - 91% and 83% (2 assessment tasks) - 1st/2
IPT - 94% - 1st/~12

Have EES and IPT Major Project in for marking atm (I'll be 1st in EES for sure, highly likely to be 1st in IPT as well)

Also, my Cosmology Assignment 1 is in for marking.

I got 82% in Portuguese HSC last year.

So yeh, I have *no* idea what kinda UAI I'll be getting ... :(
looks like 90s stuff at the moment.Keep at it and things should go well for ya

muldersgun

HSC
thats why such a system would never be implemented. To many ppl too much resources.

Only in an orwellian society would we have such measures

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by muldersgun
what would solve it all is if we had standarised assessments across the whole state. Then there wouldn't be all this scaling school marks and ranks crap happening.
The system is designed to simulate exactly that. Theoretically, the results would be the same. Of course, in practice, they differ slightly - students tend to do better overall on the HSC exams than they did in their assessments - but it usually doesn't have any real effect.

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
Originally posted by YEAR12
thats the thing you feel all good if you come first but then you realise that youd get ur ass kicked if you went to another school
yeah thats happening with me
last years dux was only a UAi of 94.6 but 7 ppl got over 90.. for a tiny skool like ours with i think it was 30 odd ppl in that year that seems sorta okay

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I don't go to a selective high school or private school but there are some really smart people in my year!! I think there is a lot of competition still, and you feel motivated to compete and work your hardest just to beat those damn snobby brats who go to posho schools and have tutors for every subject! (no offense, just joking ok!!!)

I'm really really happy with how I have gone in my HSC assessments so far. I haven't got my report back yet, I'll get in back first week next term, but I know most of my ranks and I can figure out my percentages because of the weightings etc.

This is how I have gone (we have done two assessment tasks in each subject):

Chemistry- 1st/32 (yay! I failed yr 11 Chem and came close to the bottom!!! This was a total shock and it really shows that study and determination can fix up a lot!) My mark was 84%
Biology- 1st/60-something 89%
Modern History- I'm pretty sure I'm 2nd-ish/60-something, my mark would be about 89%
Adv. English- I'm pretty sure I'm 2nd/ 55ish, my mark I think is about 90%
English Ex 1 (we have only done 1 assessment for this)- 1st/7 95%
English Ex 2- 1st/5 88%
Adv. Maths- I'm not sure of my rank, probably around 6th or something out of 90 or so people, my mark would be approx 87%
Maths Ex 1- I think I would be about 5th out of 16, my mark would be 79%

I'm really happy because I rarely ever came first in a subject in yr 7-11, I just sort of breezed through a bit, so now my work this year is paying off. Yay! Hopefully I can keep it up!

katesully_64

ok well i will give this a shot too...does ne1 know if there is anything like lazseeker that you dont have to pay for?!!

i go to a selective private school so its a bit competitive...
adv. english- 90% rank=13/100
english ext. 1 96% rank=3/54
english ext. 2- 100% rank=1/27
maths adv. 93% rank=5/92
chemistry 90% rank=2/60
biology 87% rank=4/39
pd/h/pe 97% rank=2/49

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
Originally posted by katesully_64
ok well i will give this a shot too...does ne1 know if there is anything like lazseeker that you dont have to pay for?!!

i go to a selective private school so its a bit competitive...
adv. english- 90% rank=13/100
english ext. 1 96% rank=3/54
english ext. 2- 100% rank=1/27
maths adv. 93% rank=5/92
chemistry 90% rank=2/60
biology 87% rank=4/39
pd/h/pe 97% rank=2/49
u can use the old lazseeker and ur uai will be quite high just looking at ur marks

funkychickie

hey
yeh im doing alright... in my subjects im coming
english adv ?/30
maths 2u 1/37
maths ext1 4/9
chem 2/22
anceint hist 4/40
english ext 1/3
history ext?
sor?
so i am a bit :confused: i dunno what everyone else is doing...

~TeLEpAtHeTiC~

Aesthetically Challenged
HSC
um hey guys,
so yeah currently attend a pretty nifty college and just finished our half yearlys
so yeah:
biology i got 98%, 1-7
physics i got 96%, 1-5
chemistry 82%, 1-2
advanced english 91% 1-15
maths 88% 6-34
2U religion 94% 1-5

as u can tell our classes aren't very big and thats probably becuase our year in total only has 40 kids in it, but its good fun almost like personal tutoring... so yeah my marks and positions are owing to my teachers and to myself, i was rather proud of what i had achieved and so if i do manage to pull of a similar effort with my hsc i am well on my way into entering oxford university in england, ambitious yes..i rekon i can pull it of, if not i'll be going to UTS.

i'm hoping to get 92.00 and higher for my UAI, after punching in my marks for my half yearlys into the uaiseeker on www.ozseek.com.au it estimated my uai to be 97.50 so hopefully this is a good omen.

well there you go, thanx guys :)

~TeLEpAtHeTiC~

Aesthetically Challenged
HSC
oh me again, i just tried out my marks on the old lazseeker and i got 95.60 i think i like this one, its a bit more conservative.
anyways
seeya

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by equinoxinc
oh me again, i just tried out my marks on the old lazseeker and i got 95.60 i think i like this one, its a bit more conservative.
anyways
seeya
You should not use your half-yearly marks unless you think that they will be exactly the same as your HSC marks. You have to try and estimate the percentile you will fall in relative to the rest of the state, which may or may not be the same as at school.

Lazseeker and UAIseeker don't have to be "conservative" I understand, they calculate your scaled marks based on hard data from the Board itself. If there is a judgement to be made, I don't know whether one is any more "conservative" than the other - ask Laz :).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)