Yasser Arafat dies in Paris hospital; age 75. (1 Viewer)

Jordan.J

HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
don't u think he might wanna SAY he was born in jerusalem?
I dont know about you, but when someone tells me where they're born I beleive them because I have nothing that proves otherwise

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Even if he was born in jeruselum.. do u think they can possibly allow him to be burried there? the exodus of people going there would be a little hard to control...

= Jennifer =

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Even if he was born in jeruselum.. do u think they can possibly allow him to be burried there? the exodus of people going there would be a little hard to control...
i do not think they would as there is so much religious conflict around that region that would make things worse therefore, i think the decision to have him buried in Egypt is a good thing although it is a shame he can not be buried where he "ruled"

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
= Jennifer = said:
i do not think they would as there is so much religious conflict around that region that would make things worse therefore, i think the decision to have him buried in Egypt is a good thing although it is a shame he can not be buried where he "ruled"
Egypt?.............wat?..............wasnt he buried in Ramallah?

Jordan.J

HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
What do you mean? the Jews have no right to refuse, they dont own Jeruselum. Its a holy city to 3 religions, not 1. His burial site in ramallah is just temporary, he will be buried in Jeruselum

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
islamically its wrong to move his grave
but eventually they do plan to move him
but israel isnt happy and will make it difficult
i wonder where ariel sharon will be buried when he dies?

Bone577

HSC
N/A
Considering under the 1967 borders Jerusalem is supposed to be an international area, i think it is rather offencive not to allow him to be burried there.

ZabZu

HSC
Bone577 said:
Considering under the 1967 borders Jerusalem is supposed to be an international area, i think it is rather offencive not to allow him to be burried there.
The 1948 partition plan made Jerusalem an international area controled by the UN. Following Israel's war for independence, Israel occupied the western area of Jerusalem and Jordan occupied the Eastern sector which includes the Old City (where all the holy sites are). The Six-Day war in 1967 led to Israeli control of all of Jerusalem and Israel immediately annexed this united Jerusalem into Israel, giving Israel complete control of Jerusalem.

Bone577

HSC
N/A
ZabZu said:
The 1948 partition plan made Jerusalem an international area controled by the UN. Following Israel's war for independence, Israel occupied the western area of Jerusalem and Jordan occupied the Eastern sector which includes the Old City (where all the holy sites are). The Six-Day war in 1967 led to Israeli control of all of Jerusalem and Israel immediately annexed this united Jerusalem into Israel, giving Israel complete control of Jerusalem.
Under Geneva Conventions annexation of land due to war is illegal.

Besides I was talking about the 1967 UN accepted borders, you know the one they passed resolutions on. The "internationaly recognised borders".

bluesky100

Carly :-)
HSC
Arafat wasn't as hell bent on "exterminating Jews" as much as his HAMAS cronies are. Don't forget, that for too many years, the Palestinians have been "pawns" in the hands of the Arabs in their game with the Israelis.

IMO, he didn't do enough for his people. He was worth billions. Mostly from donations from Europe, the US etc. I don't understand why he didn't put that money to good use. Maybe he did. I don't know. The sad thing is, to most people, they see Sharon as the PM of Israel, not as the butcher of Sabra and Chatila. Somehow he is 'legitamate' while Arafat is not? Wait, I forgot, he's one of the 'good guys', right?

Personally, I dislike BOTH of them.

Unfortunately, I also think that hotheads on "BOTH" sides will use this event to return that region to anarchy once again. :-( Who will end up paying the price? Innocents, on BOTH sides. Sad.

ZabZu

HSC
Yeh its a really screwed up situation. I reckon the Israeli PM and the Palestinian President have to have no past history that would damage their image as a person who is commited to peace. Eg. Sharon was involved of the massacre of Palestinians in Lebanon by a Christian group, plus there is Arafat's involvement in Palestinian terrorism.

The extremists among the Israelis and Palestinians are also damaging to the peace process. I believe there will never be peace as long as groups like Hamas exist, because they are determined to destroy the state of Israel completely and remove all Jews from the land. So even if there is a Palestinian state, the violence wont stop.

The Israeli view regarding why Arafat has so much money is because he secretly deprived the Palestinians of the aid, leading to increaed Palestinian hatred towards Israel.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)