Yay semester! (1 Viewer)

X

xeuyrawp

Semester's starting for me tonight at 6pm.

Who's happy? :D

Who's sad? :(

Discuss!:ninja:

antisheep

HSC
I'm excited! I start tomorrow at 10 with a math lecture... woo freaking hoo.

I'm also incredibly apprehensive... i had to do a year at uni to get into my degree and the uai jumped to 98.5 this year so I'm gonna be with all the motivated ones... argh...

But mostly just excited and looking forward to it =) I've told my friends I'll see them in june.

X

xeuyrawp

antisheep said:
I'm excited! I start tomorrow at 10 with a math lecture... woo freaking hoo.

I'm also incredibly apprehensive... i had to do a year at uni to get into my degree and the uai jumped to 98.5 this year so I'm gonna be with all the motivated ones... argh...

But mostly just excited and looking forward to it =) I've told my friends I'll see them in june.
I wouldn't worry - marketing students come from a range of degrees having UAIs as low as 70. Most will be in a BCom which has a UAI of 81 or something.

With the law students, again I wouldn't worry too much. They tend to be up themselves and not have much substance. :)

antisheep

HSC
PwarYuex said:
I wouldn't worry - marketing students come from a range of degrees having UAIs as low as 70. Most will be in a BCom which has a UAI of 81 or something.

With the law students, again I wouldn't worry too much. They tend to be up themselves and not have much substance. :)
haha, yeah that was the same as the law kids at my old uni... unlike them, i don't have any delusions of grandeur just cos i got into a certain course. The handful of law kids i ran into at orientation I wasn't a huge fan of, but I quite liked the couple of people from marketing I talked to... so time will tell =) I'm sure my apprehension will disappear fairly quickly.

what year are you pwar?

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
Oh, be nice to the Law students! Despite the stereotype (exaggerated if you ask me) all the Law students I know personally are very nice people!

I'm very happy - had my first seminar today (we explored the brain!!!). Also met the 15 other people that are in my course (we will no doubt know each other very well by the end of the two years!).

I also had a quick look at the O-week tents during my break - the atmosphere was really cool. I don't remember O-week being so alive. The only bad thing was that I didn't see the Australian Newspaper tent, which i'm hoping to get another yearly subscription with (did anyone see it? I was in a rush so I may have just missed it).

Oh, and I also saw Lynny at the mentor tent with her cool Optus Bee antennas :) (they ran out, so I had to be content with the groovy flying disc thingy I got :D).

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Oh crap, free stuff I must investigate tomorrow :( Where are they?!

And umm...fuck uni. So sick of it right now haha.

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
AsyLum said:
Oh crap, free stuff I must investigate tomorrow :( Where are they?!

And umm...fuck uni. So sick of it right now haha.
Behind the sam/U@MQ building. Be sure to get a groovy flying disc thingy.

HSC
N/A
Cyan_phoeniX said:
Oh, and I also saw Lynny at the mentor tent with her cool Optus Bee antennas :) (they ran out, so I had to be content with the groovy flying disc thingy I got :D).
Go go awesome Commonwealth Bank antennae!!!

There's really not much free stuff this year, and all the 'clubs' are packed in as tight as sardines. I don't like it.

I'm... uncertain about this semester. Apparently we've got Darren Percival again for Advanced Vocal studies. This is good because he has a very unique perspective on singing that I will benefit greatly from, but not so good because he scares the bejeezes out of me and honestly, my voice isn't as good at doing the 'voice as an instrument' thing as other people in the class. So generally, Lynn's Journey will be fine so long as I don't care about the marks.

Writing - most likely 'the author' who a) is unlikely to understand or appreciate my style of writing, and b) likes to bring her books to class. Again, nice lady, scares me a little, must ignore whatever marks I get and focus on Lynn's Journey.

Musical Theatre - this will either be very BOS-y, or good, or bad. It'll be a fair indication of what the other DANC units are like though. If it's good and writing is awful, I'll drop writing and officially transfer to the Dance/Drama/Performance stream. If it's so-so, I'll keep up the writing, and be able to graduate after the end of this year instead of the end of next year.

So technically it's not that bad, it's just that the "you know, you could have been out of here by now" is kind of hanging over my head, which makes me weigh up any units I do a lot more carefully.

jake2.0

. . .
HSC
glitterfairy said:
So technically it's not that bad, it's just that the "you know, you could have been out of here by now" is kind of hanging over my head
But then the mentoring wouldn't be so awsome!!!

maka

HSC
antisheep said:
haha, yeah that was the same as the law kids at my old uni... unlike them, i don't have any delusions of grandeur just cos i got into a certain course. The handful of law kids i ran into at orientation I wasn't a huge fan of, but I quite liked the couple of people from marketing I talked to... so time will tell =) I'm sure my apprehension will disappear fairly quickly.

what year are you pwar?

I'd think otherwise. Law students are mostly good people. They are like everyone else really. Out of 500 people, theres always going to be a bunch of f%$kwits spoiling our great reputation.

I dont think theres delusions of grandeur on the most part. Law is highly competitive but I dont think the people are bad for it. Give some of us time before you make generalised statements. I remember one of my mates in the course saying äll the kids are arrogant and couldnt care less about anything [insert private/public school and surburban comments] but now cant get enough of the uni lifestyle. I think in most cases, you mistake shyness for snobbery which is easy to do in the first few weeks. People will naturally be cautious in the earlier weeks. Its easy to hide and not introduce yourself.

Be nice to people. Introduce yourself. Simple things like that help integrate you into the law groups. I think some people will perceive you in a similiar light if your not willing to give people time.

PS: Went to Con Admin Law today, Iain Stewart is my tutor. The bloke seems very interesting. Has anyone else taken one of his classes.

PPS: No Blackboard subjects for me yet.

antisheep

HSC
maka said:
I'd think otherwise. Law students are mostly good people. They are like everyone else really. Out of 500 people, theres always going to be a bunch of f%$kwits spoiling our great reputation.

I dont think theres delusions of grandeur on the most part. Law is highly competitive but I dont think the people are bad for it. Give some of us time before you make generalised statements. I remember one of my mates in the course saying äll the kids are arrogant and couldnt care less about anything [insert private/public school and surburban comments] but now cant get enough of the uni lifestyle. I think in most cases, you mistake shyness for snobbery which is easy to do in the first few weeks. People will naturally be cautious in the earlier weeks. Its easy to hide and not introduce yourself.

Be nice to people. Introduce yourself. Simple things like that help integrate you into the law groups. I think some people will perceive you in a similiar light if your not willing to give people time.
I hope i didn't offend, i was basing what i said on the UTS law kids... who really do have delusions of grandeur. Seriously... a couple of them would put up their hands in communications lectures and every single time would start their comments with "Well because I'm studying law... i know that..." The number of times I considered throwing my lecture pad at them...

I'm incredibly open minded to the mac law students... it's just unfortunate that I had 2 fuckwit law kids who were talking as loudly as possible about their law degrees in my mentor group at orientation and i was just thinking that the other guys in our group probs didn't give a shit. they just liked the sound of their voice way too much.

Unfortunately, like you said, there's always going to be a few people ruining the reputation of the majority... for instance I know HEAPS of very hardworking arts students, yet everyone still likes to get stuck into them for how lazy they must be.

I'm well aware of the whole "shyness/snobbery" thing cos people quite often think that I'm a snob cos I won't talk to them but they see me laughing and joking with my friends... the fact of the matter is I'm a social retard when it comes to breaking the ice. haha. But I definitely want to meet as many new people as I can and I know that if I'm doing law and (in my humble opinion) down to earth then there'd be dozens more like me that are just as concerned about the law student stereotype.

Pretty much I'm rocking up to the first juris lec on friday with the same attitude as I'll have for my other subjects... that is eager to meet people... I'm going to be around for the next 5 years after all.

maka

HSC
Good to hear antisheep.

Let us know how it goes.

HSC
N/A
Yeah, some law students let it all go to their heads. I had to help give a short (and by short, I mean 2 mins max) presentation to a lecture full of them once... it was one of the most deflating things I'd ever tried to do.

By the same token, one of my heros in this world is a law student, so there are definitely some good law students out there. :)

jake2.0 said:
But then the mentoring wouldn't be so awsome!!!
I don't really have any idea of who you are off the top of my head, but I'm going to take this as a compliment and be a happy girl :)

Kegs

HSC
Woo. Went to class, left after 1 hour and dropped out. It was so shit! Looking for new classes now. Think I might change to ANTH275. We shall see. Am looking forward to Media tomorrow.

Tu17

Latte addict XD
HSC
went to my first lecture.. comp115 and had some guy with a major accent lol should be a interesting sem lol

*hopeful*

HSC
i hate it already (as a i do every 1st wk back)

but the speculum did make for some entertainment while i waited in a long-ass line for some academic advisement, i like :)

o-week tents on the grass was strange but yay for free diaries once again

*hopeful*

HSC
Tu17 said:
went to my first lecture.. comp115 and had some guy with a major accent lol should be a interesting sem lol

hahah the french guy ? my friends said the same thing after 1st lecture with him oh so long ago (i think it'll get slightly better)

maka

HSC
glitterfairy said:
By the same token, one of my heros in this world is a law student, so there are definitely some good law students out there. :)
That even provides us with a good character reference and an ego boost.

Maybe we all have delusions of grandeur and none of us know it yet?

Oh well, it will take 5 years to work out.

antisheep

HSC
maka said:
That even provides us with a good character reference and an ego boost.

Maybe we all have delusions of grandeur and none of us know it yet?

Oh well, it will take 5 years to work out.
i suppose you not knowing it would fit in with the whole delusion bit...

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Pfft, Law students have nothing on wannabe TV presenters from the North Shore who look like they've got enough makeup to feed Africa

Go go media bitches from <insert north shore school here>

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)