Year 10 Mathematics in Vietnam (1 Viewer)

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Oh I am reasonably confident that the media will have a field day when that happens, and they will almost certainly find some way to mention 'too many Asians in selective schools'.
Look at this. http://www.stk.uni-hannover.de/feststellungsprfung.html?&L=1

Click on the maths, physics and science links.

These are the entrance uni exams for germany.
Maths
2. Boundary Values
Boundary value of a numerical sequence
Euler´s number e
Application examples of constant and inconstant growth

3. Functions
Continuity and Differentiability
Boundary Values, rational functions with and without parameters

fractional rational function with and without parametres
Irrational functions with and without parametres
Expotential functions with and without parametres
Logarithmic funkcions with and without parametres
Curve sketching:
Domain, roots, poles, gaps, symmetry, margins, asymptotes, extremes, turning points, sketching of graphs
Exercises on extreme values"

4. Integral Calculus
Specific and unspecific integrals
Integral processes
Area calculations

5. Matrix
Calculations
Systems of equations and matrix

6. Vector Algebra
Vectors in two-and three dimensional space
Addition and subtrakction of vectors
Vector products:
scalar product, vector prodct and scalar triple product (and applications)
Straight lines in space and their relative position"

Those definitely look harder than AU maths.

Last edited:

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
when? not if?

what are you planning...
Absolutely nothing involving spending years of research into mathematical standards in different countries and how they are taught, and why Australia is quite behind with respect to them, obtaining a PhD from this, climbing up the ranks in education in Australia, writing a series of textbooks to slowly leech better mathematics into schools, eventually becoming somewhat of an authoritative figure on mathematical education standards in Australia and having a degree of influence on the syllabus the next time there is a syllabus revamp, and then bringing it a bit closer to what it should be.

But alas, just a dream. There will be heavy resistance.

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
Absolutely nothing involving spending years of research into mathematical standards in different countries and how they are taught, and why Australia is quite behind with respect to them, obtaining a PhD from this, climbing up the ranks in education in Australia, writing a series of textbooks to slowly leech better mathematics into schools, eventually becoming somewhat of an authoritative figure on mathematical education standards in Australia and having a degree of influence on the syllabus the next time there is a syllabus revamp, and then bringing it a bit closer to what it should be.

DW I have some friends who want to up the standards as well I'm sure I can garner some support :)

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC
Honestly the level mathematics is taught at in high school here (and even primary!) is quite appalling. I moved to Australia in year 2 - all the maths that I was taught from year 2 to year 6 here was covered in just year 1 of school in Israel. Negative numbers and fractions aren't introduced until year 7! How is that even a thing? And let's not forget about how we're constantly reminded to "only use what's in the syllabus" as anything outside of it is "an unfair advantage". Is it unfair? The knowledge is publicly available. If a student wants to learn something outside the curriculum the correct response should be to help them and allow them to expand their knowledge, not "Don't do that, you'll learn it at uni". There have been so many times where a solution to a problem has been so natural, only that attempting to use it results in "You aren't allowed to do that" and losing marks. Students are taught to not learn. This is a problem.

Honestly, the worse thing is that students are taught to hate maths from the very beginning. Maths is supposed to be completely logical, which is why the very popular method of teaching "This is a rule" first then later going "Oh no it's not" very negatively influences students.

"You can't take a square root of a negative number." Then the year later "actually, you can (but only if you do a certain course)".

"Asymptotes are where a function isn't defined." Then once you get to horizontal Asymptotes "Actually, we lied - and we won't even give you a definition of asymptote!"

This constant series of 'contradictions' turns so many people away from maths, when really if you were taught properly in the first place there wouldn't seem to be any contradictions.

All of these things are problems not just in maths, but also in all the science courses, I find. Accessibility exists in the General Maths course. If someone doesn't have the capacity to do 2U, we shouldn't be lowering the standards for 2U until they can, but rather they should be doing a different subject. I mean, heck, even look at the Queensland maths syllabus. Complex numbers are done by all (I think?) streams, and they study Group Theory from year 10/11!

/rant out

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Hey Carrotsticks (OP)

HAve you seen their vietnamese/french maths methods?

Also where can you get these Vietnamese textbooks in Australia? I wanna try it out

Does Vietnam have the most stringent maths curriclum in the world?

I have a friend who's an international student and he's already learning 4U in year 11 (at tutoring) and has no trouble in it at all?

Last edited:

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Apparently I heard from on of my maths teachers in the past is that primary school teachers can't teach maths for shit and that's why they have to reteach it in high school (and some morons forget)

Also I heard that in china, they don't teach integration until you're in uni (I suspect this is bullshit)

In all seriousness, Australia's maths curriculum is pretty appaling where in year 7,8,9 and even year 10 (there are some new concepts though like triginometry, logarithims, polynomials, etc) they have to build up on the primary school basics

A lot of schools don't offer maths acceleration (by at least 1-2 years) and that's one of the reasons (I think) for why Australia's maths curriculum is appalling

BTW Carrotsticks, can you actually understand what it's saying in the vietnamese textbook?

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
Hey Carrotsticks (OP)

HAve you seen their vietnamese/french maths methods?

Also where can you get these Vietnamese textbooks in Australia? I wanna try it out

Does Vietnam have the most stringent maths curriclum in the world?

I have a friend who's an international student and he's already learning 4U in year 11 (at tutoring) and has no trouble in it at all?
All of a sudden I'm keen to get those Vietnamese maths book.

Just had a look for Year 12 (Lớp 12)

http://sachthamkhao.com.vn/sach-toan/sach-toan-12

I'd also be curious to know how the Vietnamese universities would rank against top tier Australian universities in terms of maths?

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
I tutored a Serbian maths student last year, and found out that the level of maths back there was maybe a bit higher. I've always thought it a skill to be able to do maths in different languages. Having learnt Spanish, Russian, Vietnamese, Chinese, Italian in the past I may wish to go back and brush up on those skills. ( I guess its also a good way of learning the language better as well)

DatAtarLyfe

Booty Connoisseur
HSC

Carrotsticks > BOSTES

si2136

HSC
N/A
Lol I wonder how this compares with china

in any case I can do maybe 0.0000000000001% of them questions
I know this female relative in China that's in year 7 and she's doing Abs Values and Functions already.

DatAtarLyfe

Booty Connoisseur
HSC
I know this female relative in China that's in year 7 and she's doing Abs Values and Functions already.
I very much think abs values is suitable to teach year 7 in Aus as well. It should be part of when they learn inequalities as inequations

seanieg89

HSC
Yeah, AU secondary maths education is pretty bad and is designed in a way that will inevitably make a lot of talented students dislike mathematics because of the petty dogmatic way things are taught. (As well as some of the material being straight up dry). Creativity and curiosity are very commonly stifled, which is about the worst thing you can do to an interested student learning mathematics.

For all the idealistic views I have of what secondary mathematical education could be like (the changes being more about the way things are presented and the type of questions rather than content) though, the fact is we do not have enough teachers of an appropriate level themselves to teach such a course.

Currently I am kind of resigned to hs maths being mostly dryish computations and routine applications of well known theorems. At least it builds up some of those simple mechanical skills for students who go on to do anything explicitly involving mathematics at uni.

Luckily our tertiary education is decent enough to allow good students to learn mathematics properly, but the biggest tragedy is that we turn so many people completely off mathematics much earlier than this. And the kicker? A lot of the people who are "innumerate" are weirdly proud of their innumeracy, more than people are of any other educational shortcoming.

This last point is not unique to Australian mathematics education either.

Last edited:

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
All of a sudden I'm keen to get those Vietnamese maths book.

Just had a look for Year 12 (Lớp 12)

http://sachthamkhao.com.vn/sach-toan/sach-toan-12

I'd also be curious to know how the Vietnamese universities would rank against top tier Australian universities in terms of maths?
Most universities would rank better in terms of raw mathematical problem solving skills.

But for research, that depends on creativity, which isn't exactly something we've figured out how to consistently generate.

Also persistence and tenacity, which can be trained.

leehuan

HSC
I very much think abs values is suitable to teach year 7 in Aus as well. It should be part of when they learn inequalities as inequations
Idk what the Australian curriculum did but back then in my day they taught linear equations in Yr 8. Yr 7 algebra was just like terms and simplifying expressions.

DatAtarLyfe

Booty Connoisseur
HSC
Idk what the Australian curriculum did but back then in my day they taught linear equations in Yr 8. Yr 7 algebra was just like terms and simplifying expressions.
I had a pree hectic year 7/8 teacher who taught whatever he wanted, whenever he wanted.
He encouraged all of us to star learning the 2u course

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
A lot of the people who are "innumerate" are weirdly proud of their innumeracy, more than people are of any other educational shortcoming.

This last point is not unique to Australian mathematics education either.
The other areas would be the sciences, which is in decline (in terms of the no. students taking part).

In my old school, they had 1 physics class, one chem class, one combined 2U/3U, half a 4U class and the rest was PDHPE and other easier stuff.

enoilgam

HSC
From my experience tutoring junior HS maths, I definitely agree that secondary maths is poorly taught and needs to be much more rigorous. I also believe it should be compulsory like English. The issue with implementing this in my view isn't so much the backlash, but rather the fact that most students would simply drop out. In Australia, there isn't really a high incentive to continue with maths. Most uni courses these days dont have maths as prerequisites, but rather list it as "recommended" or "assumed knowledge". That's why I advocate making maths a prerequisite for uni subjects where maths is a component. This would greatly change the way maths is approached, because it would suddenly increase it's importance to further education. It would also give the education department a greater ability to change the course and add rigour, because it would be more likely to have a beneficial effect.

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
From my experience tutoring junior HS maths, I definitely agree that secondary maths is poorly taught and needs to be much more rigorous. I also believe it should be compulsory like English. The issue with implementing this in my view isn't so much the backlash, but rather the fact that most students would simply drop out. In Australia, there isn't really a high incentive to continue with maths. Most uni courses these days dont have maths as prerequisites, but rather list it as "recommended" or "assumed knowledge". That's why I advocate making maths a prerequisite for uni subjects where maths is a component. This would greatly change the way maths is approached, because it would suddenly increase it's importance to further education. It would also give the education department a greater ability to change the course and add rigour, because it would be more likely to have a beneficial effect.
Not necessarily more rigorous. it needs more problem solving essence. The way the syllabus is structured, leaves little room for creative problem solving.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)