Year 11 2013 Chit Chat Thread (1 Viewer)

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
Only time will tell. I reckon the vast majority may disagree with you though. I think the thread should be renamed - to something more friendly. Or give the example of saying a student doing repetitive maths questions with the same method won't nearly get as far as those who do non-generic questions.

Or you could say: A student claims: Insert thread title, does this hold true?
too late now haha

Kurosaki

True Fail Kid
HSC
m8 i don't hate everything (i love shopping)

Urgh i'm interested but like the work is hard which puts me off :cry:
If you really liked the work you wouldn't be put off.

So basically i have to be a basementer lol

I want a life as well :cry:
You make it sound as if they were mutually exclusive.

Fuck people like kaze or kuro who basement and study 24/7
I'm sorry if it appears like I care about my education and tertiary future, didn't mean to give that impression. And also I might add, I maintain a healthy balance between study and other commitments, and I do not study 24/7....I study what I consider a reasonable amount to compensate for my lower than average intelligence.
Also I'm pretty sure Kaze was on a two week break recently.

Seriously though Fawun, I was wondering, what do you want from your education? What drives you to continue your studies at school? What career do you want? You should consider these questions seriously and perhaps when you find the answer to them you may regain motivation. I am not having a go at you, just to make that clear, so please don't respond with I will punch you in the face etc etc.

Next minute...

Last edited:

deswa1

HSC
I disagree very strongly with the need to study 24/7 and not do anything else in life. From my experiences with everything, those with the very top marks weren't the ones who did nothing but study and I think this is because doing other things helps you focus more, clears your brain etc (plus it makes everything more fun). There's no real point in studying for 6 hours after school if your brain gets drained and you can't focus at all and don't absorb anything- you're just wasting your time.

When you study, study. Don't go on FB or split screen and watch a movie whilst you study. That way you'll finish early and you'll still have heaps of time to do fun stuff. If you just watch movie and study at the same time, first your study will take longer so you'll be less productive + it's not as fun as if you just finished everything and then had some 'guilt-free' time to do whatever the hell you want.

Also, its good to have an idea of where you want to go after school. If you are aiming for med or law, that obviously requires a different sort of effort and motivation to if you were going for arts. At the end of the day though, you can only do your best. Learn how you study best, do that (and stuff whatever anyone else says) and prepare for tests properly and whatever happens happens. Don't beat yourself up over mistakes or fails etc. Everyone does them. I was ranked 33rd after my first HSC physics assessment and I ended up with 96 in phys. I got 10/15 for a Frank essay and ended up ranking 3rd for the year. I've made retarded errors in everything but the point is, I didn't let it affect me. Its in the past- look at what you did wrong, find out how to fix it and then forget about it. You can't change your marks by stressing so move on.

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
I disagree very strongly with the need to study 24/7 and not do anything else in life. From my experiences with everything, those with the very top marks weren't the ones who did nothing but study and I think this is because doing other things helps you focus more, clears your brain etc (plus it makes everything more fun). There's no real point in studying for 6 hours after school if your brain gets drained and you can't focus at all and don't absorb anything- you're just wasting your time.

When you study, study. Don't go on FB or split screen and watch a movie whilst you study. That way you'll finish early and you'll still have heaps of time to do fun stuff. If you just watch movie and study at the same time, first your study will take longer so you'll be less productive + it's not as fun as if you just finished everything and then had some 'guilt-free' time to do whatever the hell you want.

Also, its good to have an idea of where you want to go after school. If you are aiming for med or law, that obviously requires a different sort of effort and motivation to if you were going for arts. At the end of the day though, you can only do your best. Learn how you study best, do that (and stuff whatever anyone else says) and prepare for tests properly and whatever happens happens. Don't beat yourself up over mistakes or fails etc. Everyone does them. I was ranked 33rd after my first HSC physics assessment and I ended up with 96 in phys. I got 10/15 for a Frank essay and ended up ranking 3rd for the year. I've made retarded errors in everything but the point is, I didn't let it affect me. Its in the past- look at what you did wrong, find out how to fix it and then forget about it. You can't change your marks by stressing so move on.
We need rep back.

kat-

msftsrep
HSC
Do you have any particular course/career that you would like to do or are passionate for?
I'm curious as well.
I don't know. I haven't thought THAT much ahead yet haha

If you really liked the work you wouldn't be put off.
I said that the DIFFICULTY of the work puts me off but y'know, not everything is easy so whatev

I'm sorry if it appears like I care about my education and tertiary future, didn't mean to give that impression. And also I might add, I maintain a healthy balance between study and other commitments, and I do not study 24/7....I study what I consider a reasonable amount to compensate for my lower than average intelligence.
Also I'm pretty sure Kaze was on a two week break recently.

Seriously though Fawun, I was wondering, what do you want from your education? What drives you to continue your studies at school? What career do you want? You should consider these questions seriously and perhaps when you find the answer to them you may regain motivation. I am not having a go at you, just to make that clear, so please don't respond with I will punch you in the face etc etc.

Next minute...
1. Calm down i'm not having a go at you. I was just saying that people like you and kaze make me feel bad for not "studying enough".
2. It was a joke hahahaha i actually don't mean to say those things bahahaha
3. What drives me to continue my studies at school? my future lol and idk to the rest of the questions.

enoilgam

HSC

Fantastic post - there isnt really much more to add.

I don't know. I haven't thought THAT much ahead yet haha
A bit of a personal question, but do you think you put all this pressure on yourself because you want to prove something to yourself/everyone else? I ask because you seem to lack an overarching and definitive goal, yet you always seem stressed about school.

Last edited:

Aysce

HSC
A bit of a personal question, but do you think you put all this pressure on yourself because you want to prove something to yourself/everyone else? I ask because you seem to lack an overarching and definitive goal, yet you always seem stressed about school.
At this point in time ie year 11, quite a few people aren't really sure about what they do so logically, they'd aim to achieve the highest they possibly can to have more flexibility in course choice. So perhaps fawun is stressing because although she is unclear about what career she wishes to pursue, she wants to maximise scores for this very reason hence stress/pressure. I'm just suggesting this as a possibility though. Another possibility is may be she wants to outdo her sister but I doubt it.

kat-

msftsrep
HSC
At this point in time ie year 11, quite a few people aren't really sure about what they do so logically, they'd aim to achieve the highest they possibly can to have more flexibility in course choice. So perhaps fawun is stressing because although she is unclear about what career she wishes to pursue, she wants to maximise scores for this very reason hence stress/pressure. I'm just suggesting this as a possibility though. Another possibility is may be she wants to outdo her sister but I doubt it.
Okay this is a tad embarrassing but idgaf haha

I'm not 100% sure on what I want to do but I want to do something like Comm/Media @ UNSW but idk. Yeah I kinda want to prove myself in a way because EVERYONE doubts me. By everyone, I mean people like my cousins, sister, deputy, etc. For example, last year, (kiraken knows what i'm talking about), my deputy said that I can't do both extension english and extension math because I don't have the ability (she didn't directly say that but she said it implicitly) with bringing other teachers who tell me that rarely are there people who do both extensions blah blah blah and I wanted to prove them wrong and that I can do it. Two days ago, when I went to my deputy to tell her that I wanted to drop extension english (not because of the difficulty or anything but because it was boring, didn't interest me and that I found it a waste of time) and she had the "i told you so" look on her face (she thinks I dropped it because of the difficulty) and yeah it ticked me off. People like my sister think i'm stupid and retarded and have thought that way since I was like small because i'm not as smart compared to my cousins who get straight A's in their reports, got scholarships to private schools, etc. I just hate getting compared to my cousins who do so well academically compared to me and they brag about it as well. It kinda upsets me how I'm like the "dumbest" person in the family blah blah so that's why I put so much pressure on myself to do well because I want to prove everyone wrong and laugh in their face when I become successful ^_^ (not going to happen hahahaha)

/rant

Aysce

HSC
It's not embarrassing tbh, I was in a similar situation to you (replace the smart cousins with smart sons and daughters of my father's friends/patients) so I can empathise with you to a considerable extent. From my experience in 2012, you just have to learn to put those issues aside and understand that people's perspectives and judgments of your intelligence should not be the root of your efforts in the HSC or in fact in life overall. You should strive for your PERSONAL best and not let your work be based on proving someone wrong, but rather proving to yourself that you can achieve your potential. It also helps to research your course and get a better idea of what you want to work as. If you're interested/passionate, you're obviously going to work harder.

Hopefully this helps and I haven't missed the point.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Young Fawn the people in this world naturally doubt the underdog. It maybe easier for them to think you may not be able to achieve a certain goal. I have come to the conclusion after several years of observation that it is impossible for someone to predict if one can achieve something because they do not know what you are doing 24/7. They can only judge through what they see you as.

enoilgam

HSC
True, but I asked mainly because fawun seems more stressed out than people who dont know what they want to do. Like, with the amount fawun stresses, you would think that her aim was Medicine or Combined Law at UNSW/USyd.

Aysce

HSC
True, but I asked mainly because fawun seems more stressed out than people who dont know what they want to do. Like, with the amount fawun stresses, you would think that her aim was Medicine or Combined Law at UNSW/USyd.
Fair enough, though it could be that she is unable to cope with the pressure as well as others but she's already given her reason so yeah lulz.

enoilgam

HSC
It's not embarrassing tbh, I was in a similar situation to you (replace the smart cousins with smart sons and daughters of my father's friends/patients) so I can empathise with you to a considerable extent. From my experience in 2012, you just have to learn to put those issues aside and understand that people's perspectives and judgments of your intelligence should not be the root of your efforts in the HSC or in fact in life overall. You should strive for your PERSONAL best and not let your work be based on proving someone wrong, but rather proving to yourself that you can achieve your potential. It also helps to research your course and get a better idea of what you want to work as. If you're interested/passionate, you're obviously going to work harder.
This pretty much - I guess back in Year 11 I sort of had a bit of a need to prove myself, but realistically, I think you ultimately end up chasing shadows. Just try to be the best you can be as cliche as that sounds.

deswa1

HSC
Tbh I don't think stress is that related to your course aim- stress is a very individual thing from what I've noticed. I know a lot of meddies and laws who never really got that stressed but others who were going for courses with lower cut-offs and were heaps stressed. Obviously things like med and law make it easier to be stressed because of the high pressure and the impact that a small setback can have but I think a massive component is based on the person. If you recognise that all you can do is your best and you try your hardest, that in itself reduces stress imo because you realise that worrying doesn't really change anything. Obviously easier said than done though

enoilgam

HSC
Tbh I don't think stress is that related to your course aim- stress is a very individual thing from what I've noticed. I know a lot of meddies and laws who never really got that stressed but others who were going for courses with lower cut-offs and were heaps stressed. Obviously things like med and law make it easier to be stressed because of the high pressure and the impact that a small setback can have but I think a massive component is based on the person. If you recognise that all you can do is your best and you try your hardest, that in itself reduces stress imo because you realise that worrying doesn't really change anything. Obviously easier said than done though
True, stress is very much an individual thing. I was just wondering what the cause of fawun's stress was - it just seemed a little out of place if that makes sense. But her answer confirmed what I thought.

Aysce

HSC
Hey Sy, you know when you learnt, say complex numbers or integration, what did you first do? Did you research into the topic in textbooks, internet etc? Or did you skim the theory and just began applying?

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
Hey Sy, you know when you learnt, say complex numbers or integration, what did you first do? Did you research into the topic in textbooks, internet etc? Or did you skim the theory and just began applying?
The way my teacher teaches maths is that he gives the basic theory, proves what he needs to and straight away moves onto questions, yet while we do questions with him he teaches some theory while explaining what the question is asking etc etc.
In my opinion it really works because its engaging.

For your situation I would really just skim the theory and get straight into questions. The best way to understand something in mathematics is to prove it (at least for me), for instance I didn't understand what differentiation really was early on until I sat down and saw what the proof was.
Same thing for integration, I found that with integration we are really just finding the area of infinitely many rectangles of infinitely small width. This helped me understand integration, of course these facts I learnt from the internet.

Since you only really deal with complex numbers in the basics at 4U level I would just skim theory and go straight to theory, if you know how vectors work then that should be all that you need.

Draco

HSC
How many hours a day does everyone study? Personally I study 5.5-6.5 hours a day. Most of the time is taken up by business and maths lol.
I do my homework, then if I feel like I need to learn something better or need to recall something, that's when I go in and study more.

Sleep is not optional! :p

But I get up in the morning at 6:00 to go to school (5 if i have 0 period), and get home at 5:30 (It would have been 7 if my ag teacher wasn't nice and wouldn't let me go early in period 6 classes). Absolute optimal amount of sleep is about 10 hours or so. To do that, i'd need to go to bed at 8 or 9. Dinner, shower, etc take up maybe one hour of that, which leaves 2 hours to study if I wanted to. But that would be hell without any leisure time and 1 hour per day isn't enough (I would like die from that after a while). Thus, I get 6 hours of sleep and use the schedule I mentioned above. It may not be perfect, but i feel i'm keeping up with the work and so far it's working out for me. =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)