Year 11 - should i drop to general (1 Viewer)

3Lachlan2

HSC
for psychology at uni wat level of maths do u need.
these are my subjects for prelim

Eng Adv - compulsory - check
Eng Ext (thinking of dropping as it may be too much)
Adv Math 2U (the work may get in the way of other subjects, and do i NEED it?)
Bio - check
Geo - could go either way as i have 2 teachers, but check.
Legal - check
Society - check

(13 units, maybe 12 if i drop extension)
i dont really want to drop down to 10 unit for yr 12 hsc

help asap plz

3Lachlan2

HSC
ITS GOOD PPL ARE VIEWING THIS BUT PLEASE PROVIDE FEEDBACK. thankyou.

bouncing

HSC
Yeah, like the others said - you'll probably need 2unit maths
By the way, why dont you just keep 2unit maths and perhaps drop one of the heavier content based subjects that way you can spend more time on maths?
Maths becomes heaps easier when you understand the concepts and its all about practice.

You're crazy!! 13 units! for two terms as well, how on earth have you been able to cope with that ><

3Lachlan2

HSC
Yeah, like the others said - you'll probably need 2unit maths
By the way, why dont you just keep 2unit maths and perhaps drop one of the heavier content based subjects that way you can spend more time on maths?
Maths becomes heaps easier when you understand the concepts and its all about practice.

You're crazy!! 13 units! for two terms as well, how on earth have you been able to cope with that ><
i need more than 'probably'. i need a definite knowledge of university prerequisites for psychology. 2 unit advanced or general?

i get it about the 13 units, i will most definitely have no more than 12 units in the HSC. that should be good enough for u, if it isnt dont worry some ppl cope differently.
ok, wat subjects DONT link to psychology that i have mentioned above?
AND why is there statistics in psychology? how (hard) could that be....

blackratpoo

HSC
bio is needed so good choice there. other than that, you need a 96 or so atar isnt it? so look at the subjects that will get you that. dont drop to general maths too, thats just sad.

3Lachlan2

HSC
bio is needed so good choice there. other than that, you need a 96 or so atar isnt it? so look at the subjects that will get you that. dont drop to general maths too, thats just sad.
wat do u mean sad? i used to think like that. but look at the general maths syllabus, it is well structured, and the HSC is a bit challenging... many ppl who got dux and up the top of my school r dropping to it, im considering doing the same.... but 'sad' needs to be justifyed because a high 80s or 90 mark in general (which is achievable) is comparable with an average mark for 2 unit advanced, even considering the scaling.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
13 units isn't that much. There are kids that do 14+ units in their HSC. For example, the Head Maths Teacher at my school did 16 units during her HSC. She had to do all of her exams in about 6 days too... Death.

Different universities have different requirements. For example, I'm pretty sure, UWS doesn't have any prerequisites for Psychology (other than English). Different universities also have separate assumed knowledge bases. They also have separate types of degrees (arts, science or simply Psychology) with different ATAR requirements. You should sort out what uni you actually want to attend and the type of degree you intend on doing. Do some research over the net. Ring up the school(s)/universities. Enquire. Go to open days, etc.

As a subject, depending on your aptitude for maths, 2 Unit isn't that hard if you revise properly and often. Although, if you struggle with the concepts, or your workload, it may be a better option for you to do General.

Take from this: Research the courses + uni's you want to attend. Drop to General if 2U is too hard or if you need to focus in other topics. Keep 2U if it is a prerequisite.

Good luck.

3Lachlan2

HSC
13 units isn't that much. There are kids that do 14+ units in their HSC. For example, the Head Maths Teacher at my school did 16 units during her HSC. She had to do all of her exams in about 6 days too... Death.

Different universities have different requirements. For example, I'm pretty sure, UWS doesn't have any prerequisites for Psychology (other than English). Different universities also have separate assumed knowledge bases. They also have separate types of degrees (arts, science or simply Psychology) with different ATAR requirements. You should sort out what uni you actually want to attend and the type of degree you intend on doing. Do some research over the net. Ring up the school(s)/universities. Enquire. Go to open days, etc.

As a subject, depending on your aptitude for maths, 2 Unit isn't that hard if you revise properly and often. Although, if you struggle with the concepts, or your workload, it may be a better option for you to do General.

Take from this: Research the courses + uni's you want to attend. Drop to General if 2U is too hard or if you need to focus in other topics. Keep 2U if it is a prerequisite.

Good luck.
I'm aware there are differences and variations, but in retrospect it is the same degree and qualification, whether its a major in the arts or a pure balchelor degree.
I'm also aware that a level of statistics is prerequisite.
Please state whether this matches to the General data branch or the 2 unit data branch (does 2 unit even have data in the old syllabus?)
I'd do the research myself but i thought i'd try here first and im too bus to go making phonecalls right now... thanks so my question is define 'Mathematics' which is written is all of the universities im considering and translate that into a relevant course of the current NSW HSC. any ppl who have or are doing psych. are urged to contribute.

HSC
N/A
Do whatever subjects that you feel comfortable with, but also gets you into Psychology. You can do a bridging course in uni to cover 2U.

sloveni

HSC
N/A
I recommend that u stay in adv maths. Becuase it is not much difference to General. Not even Adv maths students can do general as they think they can.

+ plus scales better then the other, so it will help alot

3Lachlan2

HSC
I recommend that u stay in adv maths. Becuase it is not much difference to General. Not even Adv maths students can do general as they think they can.

+ plus scales better then the other, so it will help alot
they are competely different in almost every way. general is wordy, advanced is numbery.

"Not even Adv maths students can do general as they think they can."
What does that mean?

I'm aware of the scales, but i dont think the scales make much a difference.
Example: If i were to get 90+ in general, i would end up better off than someone who gets 70-80 in advanced maths.

Good response but i'd like u to respond to this please.

kcqn93

HSC
i didn't really notice how easy 2unit maths was until late term 3 of prelim

just give a crack and if you still find it too hard then drop

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Universities define 'Mathematics' as 2U Advanced Mathematics in high school. If 'General Mathematics' was the pre-requisite, then it would be explicitly stated as 'General Mathematics. Considering that, however, most, if not all, degrees at university that demand mathematics refer to the 2U Advanced Course.

As to your earlier question of what to drop, even though having pre-requisite knowledge is useful for the degree you want to do, you MUST prioritise the subjects that you are doing well in over the ones that you are not, as not doing well in any subject can jeopardise your chances of acquiring the necessary ATAR to get in the degree in the first place.

bouncing

HSC
pick up a uac guide/ check online and see

for UNSW youre looking at a 96.30 cutoff and for USYD its 97.2 :angry:

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
UWS is like 81.75. :D I've been told that UWS has a better degree structure than Sydney and (possibly) UNSW too.

Zee Zappo

HSC
There are plenty of options actually...
you can change one of your subjects that is really time consuming (or drop it if you cant change now) and stick with 2Umaths.
or you can drop down to general maths and get a really high ATAR to get into your course first and just do a bridging course for maths in Uni :)

Whatever pleases you, and your time management.
Personally I would not even pick maths =P
because it takes up a lot of time for practice to get things right. but thats just me.

Again up to you...ask your maths teacher for advice too...ask them to see how your going and what your ranked in the class etc and if you can cope with the rest of the work.
and DONT drop english extension! It's heaps fun. there's not much work, just only 2 assessments.

Good luck =D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)