Year 11 subject help (1 Viewer)

lavagirl

HSC
I got my report a few days ago and I did quite bad in math and bio. Well here are my rankings:

Standard English: 1/121
Mathematics 2 Unit: 42/115
Business Studies: 11/75
Biology: 33/79
Economics: 2/24
Hospitality: Competent

I really wanna drop bio but I also wanna drop maths and hospitality. I know that dropping maths won't do me any good in the future but I really don't like it.. Hmm I hate biology aswell. And I wanna drop Hospitality, but I don't wanna drop in case I fk up in maths or bio next year since my rankings are pretty bad. Idk what to do...
Can someone please help me :( I know it's just year 11 but I'm really scared of what I wanna do and if I'd be able to get an ATAR above 85 :(

jessicamay

HSC
Dropping hospitality would be the best option to get a good ATAR, if you don't like maths maybe change to General and do really well in that.
Biology on the other hand, you should pretty much keep it and just try a little harder :)

annagurl

HSC
N/A
I don't think you're able to do anything about your subjects at the moment :(
You don't have enough units to drop, and I doubt you'll be able to change subjects considering it's half way through year eleven.
In year twelve though, you'd be able to change your subjects around :)

Gigacube

HSC
I suggest that you drop to general maths so that you have more time to study & revise for your other subjects. You have plenty of time to decide & you may improve before year 12 starts. Wait until you get your yearly reports & then decide.

lavagirl

HSC
Yea I was thinking of dropping hospitality but I didn't think I'd be able to cope with math and biology. Well, I was thinking of general, but a teacher told me that general won't do me any good and I might swell drop maths overall. But that way I won't have enough units since I'm failing bio and I want to drop hospitality too. Hmm I'm not sure, I feel so embarrassed and dumb.

I thought about changing subjects in year 12 too, but deputy says you're not allowed to pick up any subjects, just allowed to drop. Far out, Idk what I have to do. Would keeping hospitality bring my atar down? :S

AND one more thing, in hospitality, you have to complete two work placements. Ones for year 11 and ones for year 12. You can complete two in year 11 though to receive competent on your hsc, but since I am pretty sure that I will drop hospitality, I didn't want to miss out on school and I gave my first work placement away. Do you think I will need to complete at least one by the end of this year? Even though I know for sure that I'm going to drop it?

annagurl

HSC
N/A
Don't feel embarrassed and dumb. We all make mistakes with subject choices, including me. I wish I picked up 3u english and physics.

Gigacube

HSC
Yea I was thinking of dropping hospitality but I didn't think I'd be able to cope with math and biology. Well, I was thinking of general, but a teacher told me that general won't do me any good and I might swell drop maths overall. But that way I won't have enough units since I'm failing bio and I want to drop hospitality too. Hmm I'm not sure, I feel so embarrassed and dumb.

I thought about changing subjects in year 12 too, but deputy says you're not allowed to pick up any subjects, just allowed to drop. Far out, Idk what I have to do. Would keeping hospitality bring my atar down? :S

AND one more thing, in hospitality, you have to complete two work placements. Ones for year 11 and ones for year 12. You can complete two in year 11 though to receive competent on your hsc, but since I am pretty sure that I will drop hospitality, I didn't want to miss out on school and I gave my first work placement away. Do you think I will need to complete at least one by the end of this year? Even though I know for sure that I'm going to drop it?
It's still maths & general is more practical for the real world. You may as well drop to general.

What course do you want to do at Uni? You need to do well in hospitality as well as your other subjects. It's no use being good at one or two subjects & letting your other subjects fall.

Yes, you will need to complete at least one work placement by the end of this year or else it may not count as a 2 unit subject for prelim. Try and do it sooner rather than later.

lavagirl

HSC
So I'll drop hospitality next year but complete a work placement for it this year.
And I'll drop to general math, and bio is a no way out? Do you still think I can get an ATAR above 85 with these subjects? :(
Oh and, should I drop to general ASAP? Or wait till the end of the year?
I'm so effed. I'm not really sure what I want to be when I grow up so I'm also not sure of what course I want to do for uni?
But I'm thinking, maybe a business related course..

Thanks for the feedback btw.

Gigacube

HSC
So I'll drop hospitality next year but complete a work placement for it this year.
And I'll drop to general math, and bio is a no way out? Do you still think I can get an ATAR above 85 with these subjects? :(
Oh and, should I drop to general ASAP? Or wait till the end of the year?
I'm so effed. I'm not really sure what I want to be when I grow up so I'm also not sure of what course I want to do for uni?
But I'm thinking, maybe a business related course..

Thanks for the feedback btw.
No way out for bio unless you take up senior science if it does not clash with another subject. You can get any ATAR with any combo of subjects.

You should do some research as to which courses you'd like to do as some Unis have bonus points schemes where you can gain 5 bonus points just for getting a band 4-6 in some subjects.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Tbh, your math ranks aren't that bad and show you could keep at 2u and not general if you wanted. I'm not sure what your school rank is, but you have a very large 2u cohort which makes me think it must be quite well ranked. At my school, there's only like 50-60 doing mathematics and that include the ext 1 class. There's like 5 general classes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)