Year 11 Subject help? (1 Viewer)

Alex242

HSC
N/A
So the lines have been drawn up and I have a major problem for my subjects. The three subjects I would really love to do next year English Ext 1 + Photography (counts as a 2 unit) Ancient History, Biology have clashed so I can only choose two. I absolutely love English and consistently get top marks, I also really enjoy Ancient History and get A's in History and as for Science I get B's but I do really enjoy it and you see if I'm not doing Bio, that means I'm not doing any science subject and I'm quite interested in perhaps doing medicine as a career later on in life. Currently I've picked Biology and Ancient History, but I really badly want to do English Ext 1, especially since if I don't do it in year 11 I can't do the ext 1 and 2 in Year 12 and English is my best subject..Any suggestions would be great and much appreciated.
Thank you so much.

simplyinsanity

HSC
From what you've said English is your 'best subject' which you 'absolutely love' whereas ancient history is just 'really enjoy'. So you probably should do the extension english, particularly if you are even considering extension 2 in year 12.

aekryan

HSC
I'd say forget about photography and bio and do ext 1 Eng and ancient history.
I say this as i am currently hating chemistry and only picked it because my parents wanted me to get into medicine. If i had done economics i would not only be much more interested but my atar would be better off.

Last edited:

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
So the lines have been drawn up and I have a major problem for my subjects. The three subjects I would really love to do next year English Ext 1 + Photography (counts as a 2 unit) Ancient History, Biology have clashed so I can only choose two. I absolutely love English and consistently get top marks, I also really enjoy Ancient History and get A's in History and as for Science I get B's but I do really enjoy it and you see if I'm not doing Bio, that means I'm not doing any science subject and I'm quite interested in perhaps doing medicine as a career later on in life. Currently I've picked Biology and Ancient History, but I really badly want to do English Ext 1, especially since if I don't do it in year 11 I can't do the ext 1 and 2 in Year 12 and English is my best subject..Any suggestions would be great and much appreciated.
Thank you so much.
From the information you've given me (sucks EE1 is not offline like other schools!), my recommendation is as follows.
1) Ext 1 English-the fact you are considering Ex2 makes me think you are a very keen english student, and you love the subject and get top marks it seems like a no brainer. Also best subject? Capitalise on that for ATAR!
2) Biology-you say you really enjoy it and from yr 10, you can always pull those B's up if it's the subject you like. (Note, in jnr school it is often easier to do well in subjects you don't even like where in snr school I'd say subject enjoyment is a good advantage). Especially as bio is a more specific strand and doesn't involve many of the other aspects of jnr science. Plus with med a consideration in the future, you probably have a bit of scientific interest especially in the body and such which is big in Yr 12 bio!

The reason I didn't say Ancient is for the type of subject it is(content heavy), you'd really want to like it to do it in snr school. Often I see kids who fall into the trap of doing a HSC history course because they got good marks in yr 10 and it ends up with them not enjoying it very much. You have to be sure you'd like doing all the source stuff and also check if the topics your school does are interesting for you. (I find History very dependent on what you are doing at the time-I loved some of my history topics and detested the rest).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)