Year 11 subject selection HELP. (1 Viewer)

planino

HSC
5/150 and you want to do general?? That's wasted potential right there.

See how 2U goes (a not-insignificant portion just builds off year 10 work) and then decide whether you want to do MX1

chrisman9519

HSC
ok well for subject selection, i am currently in a bit of a pickle, except im midway through year 11.
basically i chose a subject with the intention to drop it and i have to drop studies of religion 1unit cause because its supposed to be a filler in case i have 11 units.
i basically decided last year that i would do 4 unit maths (im doin 3u now) and pick up extension modern history so i would have 11 units and drop either if it got too hard.

the issue is basically that i am now doubting my ability to do well in 4unit maths. i reckon i can still do alright, but it is a real possibility that i could struggle. in addition (like most 3unit people) i feel that i could do reallly well if i dropped down to 2unit maths. the problem is that i cant, no matter what. so since i think i would be very good at legal studies and i didnt pick it on account of my preconceived notions of it being boring, i am trying to pick it up mid year and i think i can make a reasonable comeback with enough effort. (i did elective geo. and commerce in year 9&10 and did very well and it would help a lot, my friends say)

what im saying is that your future ability in maths can be very hard to judge, unless you are reeeeeally good already. so if i were you, i would stick with 3unit and try to do 4 unit, but you have to hedge your bets that you will do well by picking maybe 14 units instead of the mandatory 12. trust me this leaves you with options that you will thank yourself for in case you have a horrible teacher, you dont like the content, your getting bad marks etc.

just thought i would tell you so u dont make the same mistake as me (im not completely screwed though, im doing well in other stuff and its prelim, so i should make mistakes now rather than later). and DONT DO GENERAL MATHS. if u do really well at maths then ur just throwing away a couple of your good units to some other subject.

HSC
It's not that I don't like Maths, it's just when I looked at the 3u paper I was absolutely overwhelmed, when I looked at the general paper I could do a lot of it.
You will learn it and it won't be as hard but I had to drop 3U to 2U because I was absolutely not prepared for what they expected. It's been the best decision I have made :D

Triage

HSC
N/A
You will learn it and it won't be as hard but I had to drop 3U to 2U because I was absolutely not prepared for what they expected. It's been the best decision I have made :D
Equally I will be stuffed for units without 3u maths. I want to do economics, adv English, chemistry, business studies and my school mandates 1u sor year 11

theind1996

HSC
N/A
Equally I will be stuffed for units without 3u maths. I want to do economics, adv English, chemistry, business studies and my school mandates 1u sor year 11
Mate, if you're coming 6th in a top 20 school, providing you maintain those ranks in year 12, you're easily looking at an E4/band 6 in 4u maths, so definitely choose 3u maths.

Triage

HSC
N/A
Mate, if you're coming 6th in a top 20 school, providing you maintain those ranks in year 12, you're easily looking at an E4/band 6 in 4u maths, so definitely choose 3u maths.
People tell me EVERYTHING changes when you hit year 11 and 12.

theind1996

HSC
N/A
You've already experienced senior maths in the form of 2 unit. If you are capable of 2 unit ---> do 3 unit.

I don't think everything changes. Maths is about practice, practice and practice. If you can keep doing that, I don't see why your results won't be just as good. The only difference in year 11 and 12 are the added resources at your disposal e.g. past papers.

enoilgam

HSC
People say everything changes when you hit uni, then they say everything changes when you hit the workforce. Life is always changing so dont let that scare you.

Wonder

HSC
You and I have a lot in common. xD I'm also in Year 10, in a ranked 20-ish school, have a similar ranking to you (lower though, ha) and a Maths accelerant. However, my class has been doing a bit of Ext 1 as well as 2 unit prelim. It's really not that hard, the only thing I found slightly difficult was the pace at which it was taught. Just do your homework/exercise for that section by the next lesson and you'll be fine, though. If you're ranked 5/150 I really think you should do it. And if you have too many units, I guess you can drop some at the end of prelim? You can think about whether or not you want to do 4 unit later, I'm not sure myself yet on that count.

Last edited:

dsor01

HSC
I am currently doing year 11, Maths 3U. Trust me, it can be a real pain.
However, if you are willing to put up atleast 10 hours a week for studying (not homework) for maths, then you can definately ace it.
I am planning to also do 4U maths next year, a reminder................ you only choose 4U if you are getting 70% or above in your 3U exams (yearly exam)

theind1996

HSC
N/A
I am currently doing year 11, Maths 3U. Trust me, it can be a real pain.
However, if you are willing to put up atleast 10 hours a week for studying (not homework) for maths, then you can definately ace it.
I am planning to also do 4U maths next year, a reminder................ you only choose 4U if you are getting 70% or above in your 3U exams (yearly exam)
You're spending way too much time on maths for prelim. Homework should take you 1-1.5 hours a night, so you are probably spending 15-20 hours on it which is waaayyy too much. 3U shouldn't be that time consuming.

HSC only gets harder, and 4U, even more so. Also, if you want to do well in 4U, ~80% for an average prelim 3U test is a decent mark, so you should probs be aiming for that.

Triage

HSC
N/A
You're spending way too much time on maths for prelim. Homework should take you 1-1.5 hours a night, so you are probably spending 15-20 hours on it which is waaayyy too much. 3U shouldn't be that time consuming.

HSC only gets harder, and 4U, even more so. Also, if you want to do well in 4U, ~80% for an average prelim 3U test is a decent mark, so you should probs be aiming for that.
Is year 11 content examined in the hsc or do you just build on the previous knowledge in year 12.

enoilgam

HSC
Is year 11 content examined in the hsc or do you just build on the previous knowledge in year 12.
From memory, the maths papers can only contain a maximum 30% prelim content. However, most of the stuff from year 12 is building on from year 11.

nifkeh

HSC
hey Triage... what year are you in? Are you in year 10 selecting subjects for prelims? :)

but yeah, general maths.. is lol. sorry. it's just year 7-10 maths, it's not even offered at my school. Plus even if you got state ranking in it you won't get a 100 HSC mark after scaling in your atar. If you want to do something maths related in uni like engineering, computer science, actuarial studies, or you want to get into medicine or law general maths won't really cut it for you even if you are the top 10 because the complexities of general math is really easy maths, the standard of it is just the yr 7-10 advanced maths course whereas in engineering & computer science you're expected to at least have an understanding of maths ext & above. without this 3u maths or 4u maths understanding you will find yourself having lots to catch up on in uni, more so if you don't do maths 2u instead of general maths.

but by all means if you're going to do teaching (atar around 70) or something... general maths won't really affect your ability to get the spots in the good unis lol. or if you're doing a uni course that doesn't require any knowledge of maths and a 90+ atar then if you like you can pick up general maths. but be warned: a general math understanding will get you nowhere if you decide to switch to courses in uni that require a strong math understanding. as the maths 2u, 3u & 4u are geared for those who are pursuing maths in higher education after the hsc (i.e. in uni with courses I outlined above).

plus over your lifetime you might have a really different career change from this to that, and understanding calculus may be of help in that field. Something that general maths does not offer lol

nifkeh

HSC
yep maths only gets harder, and new topics you learnt are based on your previous knowledge in year 11, some in year 10 even

theind1996

HSC
N/A
hey Triage... what year are you in? Are you in year 10 selecting subjects for prelims? :)

but yeah, general maths.. is lol. sorry. it's just year 7-10 maths, it's not even offered at my school. Plus even if you got state ranking in it you won't get a 100 HSC mark after scaling in your atar. If you want to do something maths related in uni like engineering, computer science, actuarial studies, or you want to get into medicine or law general maths won't really cut it for you even if you are the top 10 because the complexities of general math is really easy maths, the standard of it is just the yr 7-10 advanced maths course whereas in engineering & computer science you're expected to at least have an understanding of maths ext & above. without this 3u maths or 4u maths understanding you will find yourself having lots to catch up on in uni, more so if you don't do maths 2u instead of general maths.

but by all means if you're going to do teaching (atar around 70) or something... general maths won't really affect your ability to get the spots in the good unis lol. or if you're doing a uni course that doesn't require any knowledge of maths and a 90+ atar then if you like you can pick up general maths. but be warned: a general math understanding will get you nowhere if you decide to switch to courses in uni that require a strong math understanding. as the maths 2u, 3u & 4u are geared for those who are pursuing maths in higher education after the hsc (i.e. in uni with courses I outlined above).

plus over your lifetime you might have a really different career change from this to that, and understanding calculus may be of help in that field. Something that general maths does not offer lol
Slagging off teaching. Not cool mate. You do realise that there are people called Maths Teachers, many who can teach Extension 2 right?

nifkeh

HSC
I asked an ex year 12 at my school on how they choose people for 4u maths, in my school anyone could do 4u maths without a mark cutoff or max number of people cutoff. But in your school that's how it works unfortunately. but it won't be 70% or over in every school, because evidently in my school they don't bar anyone from doing it.

and yeah you are spending too much time for maths.. I am in year 11 too and frankly it's not that much harder from year 10 maths yet.

nifkeh

HSC
yep I do, but I meant like teaching something not related to maths. anyways to become a maths teacher you will need to have studied maths in uni, as with a science teacher, having a degree in one of the sciences

but maths general isn't maths for higher education. I read it in the newspaper the other day, they said lots of people are taking maths 2u, 3u, and 4u but aren't really studying maths in uni so they might be considering changing up the course a bit to make it for those who want to do maths but aren't actually pursuing it for higher education studies in maths

nifkeh

HSC
And there is a shortage of Maths teachers across NSW... but to persue a degree in education (a basic teacher) you need an atar of ~70, that's not for actually getting a maths degree in a uni in order to be qualified to teach maths well.

2xL

HSC
I can't judge yet really my potential success in 3u. I believe I am strong in maths and probably rank around 5/150 in a 20ish ranking school.
With those results in year 10, you are destined for 4u my friend.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)