Year 11 yearlies or School certificate gives better indication of HSC/UAI results? (1 Viewer)

Rockyroad

Banned
HSC
Year 11 yearlies or School certificate gives better indication of HSC/UAI results? I know neither will be an accurate prediction bla bla but you can give me a general idea.
So what ppl did better in sc or yr11 compared to yr 12?

Last edited:

bawd

HSC
Year 11 Yearlies I would guess to be a better indicator when compared to the SC. But, the thing is some people purposely chillax in Year 11 and go full throttle in Year 12.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Year 11 would be a better indicator because it's closer to the HSC course. However keep in mind that when calculating the UAI they will estimate what everyone who sat the School Certificate would've gotten and base it on that.

But to be honest, none are really good indicators - I mean as long as you work hard next year you'll be ok - friend told me he failed yr 7-11 ... ended up getting 96 UAI.

SimonLee13

HSC
Both give inaccurate measures of HSC/UAI but year 11 yearlies would be the better out of the two.

speedofsound

HSC
Yearlies... you don't even do the majority of your SC subjects for the HSC.

Roga

HSC
None, all depends on the one test at the end of your HSC year.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Year 11 mang because you do mainly the same subjects in year 12.

Devouree

Good names already taken.
HSC
Hmmm, definately Yr 11 results, because most subjects don't let you just start in yr 12, and so the subjects you got results for in yr 11 would most likely be similar to those in yr 12. However, the course is different for the two years so...

SeftonIsAHole

HSC
I dont think you can use neither as an indicator to ur HSC/UAI results because its a whole different ball game in year 12.

Baggygreen408

HSC
Prelim- School Certificate is well... not a good indicator...

the prelim mirrors the hsc exams with simply the prelim topics, for example, english is content based rfather than the literacy based sc....

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
Baggygreen408 said:
Prelim- School Certificate is well... not a good indicator...

the prelim mirrors the hsc exams with simply the prelim topics, for example, english is content based rfather than the literacy based sc....
Yeah but there's the core difference of Prelim not counting. Half the people in my year don't try because they know perfectly well that it's not going to count. When people start trying - especially those who are the 'naturally smart' type, it's going to be a whole lot more difficult...

Baggygreen408

HSC
Continuum said:
Yeah but there's the core difference of Prelim not counting. Half the people in my year don't try because they know perfectly well that it's not going to count. When people start trying - especially those who are the 'naturally smart' type, it's going to be a whole lot more difficult...
ah, i see... u raise a good point

but i kno also that heaps of people dont try for the SC either, cause it doesnt really count if u do the HSC...

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
Baggygreen408 said:

but i kno also that heaps of people dont try for the SC either, cause it doesnt really count if u do the HSC...
Yeah, that's why both Prelim and SC aren't that good of an indicator of performance in HSC in my opinion. Some would argue that Prelim is a reasonable indicator and although I can see where they're coming from, personal experience tells me the opposite thing.

aimhigh10

HSC
hoping its yr 11 because so far yr 10 for me has been about 75% bludge..

beve

Jesus
HSC
Baggygreen408 said:

School certificate; you can wing really, you can go in there and get high marks provided you have the ability without much study at all. Year 11; you have to actually know your shit. Just like in Year 12 - and the exam format is the same as the HSC exam format (more or less.)

Though neither are going to predict your UAI; it's what we do from now on that's going to make us or break us. :hammer:

4theHSC

HSC
i don't understand why somebody has the need to ask this question... I mean common sense would tell you that we are also Prelim students and probably our opinion isn't valued much... Preliminary was ok and no i don't think its a good inication for the HSC because the courses change and each time you grow your understanding of things grows and you learn faster... also the courses are almost completely different... Something to note on from studying the preliminary can be forming a study pattern/routine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)