Year 12 2016 Student Question (Getting into Medicine GAMSAT) (1 Viewer)

adamadamadam

HSC
Hey guys,
I wanted to get into medicine but I don't think I can get the 99+ ATAR requirement, so I wanted to transfer via the GAMSAT.
If I do Bachelor of Pharmacy (Mother owns a pharmacy so i can get job there after my degree), then want to transfer to medicine, how would I go about it. I'm not too sure of the process, if someone could explain what course I transfer too (like Bachelor of Med.) and how it works in a brief summary that would be great.
My marks at school range from 84-93, school rank was around 110 last year.

iStudent

HSC
Not all uni's have 99 ATAR requirement - I think most don't although 99 helps. UMAT/Interview is also used!

adamadamadam

HSC
Not all uni's have 99 ATAR requirement - I think most don't although 99 helps. UMAT/Interview is also used!
I'm thinking i'll get a ATAR between 90-94, so it's still substantially lower, I also know about the Interview and UMAT for undergrads, but I kinda had to apply already and didn't do it for this year.

Thanks i guess

Shuuya

HSC
I'm thinking i'll get a ATAR between 90-94, so it's still substantially lower, I also know about the Interview and UMAT for undergrads, but I kinda had to apply already and didn't do it for this year.

Thanks i guess
UMAT registrations close on the 3 June? So it's not too late :p

PepperSalt

Banned
HSC
N/A
if someone could explain what course I transfer too (like Bachelor of Med.)
To clarify first, if you complete a degree + do GAMSAT that's applying for grad-entry Med, not a transfer.
Get a general idea how it works from these links
http://www.gemsas.edu.au/what-is-graduate-entry-medicine/
http://www.gemsas.edu.au/gemsas-processes/

Or try get 95+ ATAR you can apply this year for Med at UQ, UWS, JMP and UTas.

Note with UQ you need to obtain 4 bonus points to raise to 99+
https://future-students.uq.edu.au/apply/doctor-of-medicine/special-entry-programs/bonus-rank-scheme

Your advantage with these unis is ATAR is a hurdle. Once made this hurdle you compete (UMAT & Interview) on equal basis against those with much higher ATARs.

Disadvantage is since it opens doors to many more applicants you'll need a high UMAT score, 92-93+ percentile to have a realistic chance.

Good luck with your Y12.

Last edited:

iStudent

HSC
Some Unis have entry requirements as low as 93 or something. Even lower if you are from a rural background (I don't think you are since your school is fairly highly ranked). But yea, poke around in google

Renaaa

HSC
Uni Grad
Alternatively, you can start studying your tertiary degree and in your first year do the UMAT and try enter to UNSW.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)