Yellow Shirt Applications (1 Viewer)

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Applications are now open for potential Yellow Shirts for 2006.

If you don't know what a Yellow Shirt is (you should!), Yellow Shirts are the student volunteers who help with O-Week at UNSW - we're known to have one of the best orientation weeks in Australia! During the week, you'll get to meet tons of first years, conduct tours of the Kensington campus, and do tons of cool things like see bands and go to dance parties and just have tons of fun!

As a Yellow Shirt this year, I'd really recommend it, it's a great experience. One word: AWESOME. Go for it! I never expected to make it, but I did, and it was one of the best things I've done.

After submitting your application form, if you're considered suitable, you'll be called for 2nd round interviews which are approx. 2-3 hours long, which evaluate if you're a suitable potential Yellow Shirt. (I heard around 50% of the ~300 applicants are chosen, this may not be true though.) After this, there are socials to help you to get to know your fellow Yellow Shirts, and training is held over the summer holidays to help you prepare for O-Week.

Grab an application form from the stall on the Library Lawn (noon till 2pm weekdays week 5 and 6), from CONTACT (2nd level, East Wing, Quad) or the Blockhouse.

Last edited:

zkuld

newblet
HSC
on another note, it seems like faculties are looking for people to help out on open day next saturday.

zkuld

newblet
HSC
You should be emailed by someone representing your faculty within the next few days. I've gotten one from civil engineering, but I'm certain every other faculty would need help with stuff too. Maybe your student rep might know.

I'm considering going if I have nothing planned. Can't knock back those lovely metro tshirts can we?

>>
Hi Everyone!!

Saturday September 3rd (not this coming Saturday the one after) is UNSW's
Courses and Careers Day and CEVSOC is calling on Undergraduate students to
help out the School of Civil and Environmental Engineering and the Faculty of
Engineering in activities.

The day goes from 9 am to 3 pm and we need volunteers throughout the day,
particularly over the lunch period. Volunteers will be either acting as
visitor helpers mainly directing/guiding visitors to the Civeng Building and
activities, or helping out Ron Cox and other lecturers with displays in the
foyer off the building. Volunteers will also be helping with the BBQ and
chatting to visitors over lunch.

ALL VOLUNTEERS WILL GET A BRAND NEW PINK T-SHIRT AND A FREE BBQ LUNCH!

If you are interested in volunteering to help out please reply to this email
as soon as possible and let me know what times you are available (even a two
hour time slot would be really helpful). Regardless of whether you are a civil
or enviro student, a first year or fifth, your input will be really
appreciated.

Looking forward to seeing everyone in sexy pink t-shirts on Saturday August
3rd!

Last edited:

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
>>
School of Civil and Environmental Engineering and the Faculty of
Engineering in activities....NEW PINK T-SHIRT...

a civil or enviro student...seeing everyone in sexy pink t-shirts
LOL, whats with the emphasis? :rolleyes:

Tsk tsk, "August the 3rd"

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
so, what goes on in the second round nanshii-san?

i'm still deciding whether to apply or not. also trying to think up something witty to put on the application...

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
"I EAT CHILDREN"

Would be witty-tre-cool

Haha, this looks so much more organised than MQ, and more prestigious as well :p

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
bubz :D said:
so, what goes on in the second round nanshii-san?

i'm still deciding whether to apply or not. also trying to think up something witty to put on the application...
as long as you don't write anything dumb like "I WANT TO BE A YELLOW SHIRT BECAUSE I RAN OUT OF YELLOW SHIRTS AT HOME", then you'll generally make it through

the second round is around 3 hours long, it involves groupwork activities to see how you interact with others (e.g. you're trapped in a cave and you only have five coconuts, what do you do), then you have small group discussions where you talk about why you wanna do o-week and stuff.
AsyLum said:
Haha, this looks so much more organised than MQ, and more prestigious as well :p
best o-week in australia, baby ;D

Dash

ReSpEcTeD
HSC
Sounds good... thinkin about applying this yr for the hell of it...
2 questions... When is O-week next yr? :p (I should noe, but meh..)
And... are ppl allocated 2 random tasks when in O-week? or do u go by the faculty that ur currently in?

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
It's the week before semester 1 2006 starts, I don't know the exact date...

You're assigned into random groups, and the groups are on a roster which rotates. People aren't assigned to anything faculty specific AFAIK, though I just happened to do both the Arts AND Science tours :) (because certain faculties have main orientation days and we run different tour routes on different days)

B

Bambul

For those of you thinking of applying I cannot stress this next point enough: please, please take this application seriously. If you write something stupid (even if it's very funny) like "the aim of O Week is to pick up" or "my last pen just ran out of ink", then your application will be rejected. Those 2 examples were real life rejections and a few years back a Union Board member got rejected for not making a serious attempt, so I'm not kidding about this.

You could be perfect Yellow Shirt material*, but if you don't submit a serious application you won't get through to the next round. Somewhere between 300 and 600 people apply and only 300 make it through to the next round, then only 120 to 150 get to become Yellow Shirts. I've done Yellow Shirts twice before and even I've been rejected once.

On that note, if you do get rejected, don't be turned off from applying again next year. Being rejected doesn't mean that you won't be able to get through next year or that you would make a bad Yellow Shirt (like I said before, I - and many others - have been rejected before).

Other than that, good luck to everyone who applies.

* No pun intended about you being turned into an actual shirt that someone else can wear.

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
have anyone got replys yet?

I wanna make plans for next weekend :D

B

Bambul

You will probably get a phone call around the end of this week or sometime next week. If you don't get through then I think you get an email (that's how it's been done in past).

If you are unfortunate enough to get an email, please remember that is not an indication that you would make a bad yellow shirt. I know multiple people who have got rejected in the first round but would actually make fantastic yellow shirts (and be better than many that get through). You may have just made a blunder in your application form (said something that you shouldn't have, didn't write enough, structured it wrong). It's an unfortunate fact of the process that only 250-300 people can be admited into Round 2 of selections because of constraints, so at times the O Week team have to revert to culling people. It's unfortunate, but necessary due to said constraints.

The same goes with round 2. If you get rejected from that it is not necessarily a sign that you would make a bad yellow shirt. I have been rejected after round 2, and I've been a yellow shirt twice. A friend of mine got rejected the first time she tried out, and later she ended up being a squad leader (there are 16 squad leaders out the 150 yellow shirts).

But either way. If you do get rejected, please don't be turned off. I really encourage you to try out again next year. If you do make it to round 2 then I hope to see you at selections! :D

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
phone call eh.. argh.. crap, think i gave the wrong number.. like.. changed numbers the day after :eek:

B

Bambul

You'll need to get in contact with the Yellow Shirts Coordinator then. I'll PM you her email.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)