Yet another ATAR estimate! (2 Viewers)

HSC
Right back at ya!

Also, I find my ranks somewhat depressing - Law is SUCH a pipe dream argh!

mecramarathon

HSC
isn't PLC the school with 5 99.95ers?

You're comfortably sitting at a 99.25+

sweet_16

HSC
According to Matrix calculator you can get 99.10 with those results. Good luck

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
So my school doesn't release final marks, final ranks (until the last day of school) or an ATAR estimate (EVER) so here's the marks I've worked out with estimated ranks:

Ancient History - 96 - 2nd/3rd out of 30.
Mathematics - 93 - top 20 out of 100ish.
Modern History - 94 - top 5 out of 80.
History Extension - 50 - 1st out of 30.
Economics - 91 - 3rd out of 30.
English (Adv) - 91 - top 20 out of 200ish.
English Extension 1 - 48 - 2nd/3rd out of 40.

Thank you!

EDIT: My school goes in between 19th and 20th - it was 19th last year!
All should be able to get straight band 6s, if in any case you school underperforms then the very, very worst would be 96.50. If you have a typical cohort for your school, then 98.50+

HSC
All should be able to get straight band 6s, if in any case you school underperforms then the very, very worst would be 96.50. If you have a typical cohort for your school, then 98.50+
I thought straight band 6's = 99+?
Wow, I didn't realise how much of my final results would depend on my cohort...

enoilgam

HSC
I thought straight band 6's = 99+?
Wow, I didn't realise how much of my final results would depend on my cohort...
For you to get as low as 96.50, both you AND your cohort would have to do extremely poorly. As PLC is a fairly consistant school, I doubt that they will drop that significantly. However, with the HSC anything can happen.

Generally speaking, straight band 6's can get you an ATAR as low as 90-92 depending on the scaling of your subjects.

Last edited:

aphorae

HSC
Uni Grad
(yeah I'm in your cohort so I understand that there are a couple of super pro history people looking at 99.85-99.95 so forgiving your ancient rank 2/3 and gg ext... might want to try up rank 5 modern to 2/3 in externals)

Pro ranks btw and tbh there's almost no chance imo (for reasons above and below) that you'll get below 99 unless you do shit in your externals...... and don't do that cos history scales shit and 2u maths does too if you do crap lol.

Improve modern + maths... but it's okay, our teacher said we have a MUCH stronger top 2u/3u class than in previous years so it's not a big worry since you're top 20.

The trend is that 20+ people in our grade get 99+, ~8 get 99.5+ (except that crazy year with 5 99.95'ers). I reckon we have a couple of 99.95'ers in the bag now and several 99.8-99.9'ers assuming they do alright in their externals so yeah maybe more this year.

Btw straight band 6s doesn't equal 99+ because UAC scales the raw marks not the aligned/banded marks BOS gives you (which are like 'performance' bands)... so reported 90 in history is not equivalent to reported 90 in eco, it just means you were a band 6 candidate in the subject of history.

I wouldn't worry about the rank 20 english assuming you did well in the trials (40+ each paper) since there are heaps of people sitting around 90-92, and since we have such a big cohort. Once it's aligned it'll only be a range of like 1 mark between 10 ranks or something.

Also I agree with your scholarship comment... we got the only year with no interviews since the principal was on holidays or somewhere, so in other words, we're pretty much all asian hahaha.

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
(yeah I'm in your cohort so I understand that there are a couple of super pro history people looking at 99.85-99.95 so forgiving your ancient rank 2/3 and gg ext... might want to try up rank 5 modern to 2/3 in externals)

Pro ranks btw and tbh there's almost no chance imo (for reasons above and below) that you'll get below 99 unless you do shit in your externals...... and don't do that cos history scales shit and 2u maths does too if you do crap lol.

Improve modern + maths... but it's okay, our teacher said we have a MUCH stronger top 2u/3u class than in previous years so it's not a big worry since you're top 20.

The trend is that 20+ people in our grade get 99+, ~8 get 99.5+ (except that crazy year with 5 99.95'ers). I reckon we have a couple of 99.95'ers in the bag now and several 99.8-99.9'ers assuming they do alright in their externals so yeah maybe more this year.

Btw straight band 6s doesn't equal 99+ because UAC scales the raw marks not the aligned/banded marks BOS gives you (which are like 'performance' bands)... so reported 90 in history is not equivalent to reported 90 in eco, it just means you were a band 6 candidate in the subject of history.

I wouldn't worry about the rank 20 english assuming you did well in the trials (40+ each paper) since there are heaps of people sitting around 90-92, and since we have such a big cohort. Once it's aligned it'll only be a range of like 1 mark between 10 ranks or something.

Also I agree with your scholarship comment... we got the only year with no interviews since the principal was on holidays or somewhere, so in other words, we're pretty much all asian hahaha.
Wait... you go to PLC too?

HSC

Since I pretty much just told you who I am... SO THAT'S WHY I DIDN'T GET AN INTERVIEW FOR MY SCHOLARSHIP? Fuck yes, I was so scared of that (lol Year 7).

Yeah, English I got... 80/90 LOLOLOL what a joke (Paper 1 you fat bitch :l), that went badly. And I fucked up that stupid anthology assessment back in Term 4.... oh English (Adv), you cruel mistress. Also, my self-estimated rank was kinda really optimistic to be honest. I have no idea whether losing 9 marks still guarantees me a top 20 in Pymble...
I'm hoping like Alice scales me the fuck up tbqh. And modern was going well till exams... I got like two assessments ranked 1st and then kinda dropped the ball with trials (that happened with Ancient as well, how awks).

Definitely agreed on the couple of 99.95's in our year - Izzy, Alice, Lisa etc.
Also I was talking to a few history teachers last week, apparently our year is going to match 2009 (with the 5 99.95s). Most relaxed and academically strong year in memory apparently. So... who knows? (Though this year's history cohort is fucking strong, so that might be why).

Also, if you want to do Combined Law and you need research, find me in the senior centre (guarantee I'll be there - I NEVER leave the building), I've wanted to do the degree since Year 8, so fuckton of useless information tbqh.

Last edited:

aphorae

HSC
Uni Grad
awks if you find out i'm someone you dislike lol

By the way, was that Hamlet exemplar yours?

I'm pretty sure eng is still top 20... guessing ~10 in F's class, ~4/5, max 7 in B's and ~3, max 5 elsewhere for >91. Quite a few people didn't do as well either in trials, the 1st dodge assessment, or the speech...

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Yeah I do... why do you ask.

Also, I wanna do your double degree. Or possibly com/law... I'll do the research after hsc is over lol.
I ask because one of the girls I know used to go to your school last year. She does Advanced Science.

HSC
awks if you find out i'm someone you dislike lol

By the way, was that Hamlet exemplar yours?

I'm pretty sure eng is still top 20... guessing ~10 in F's class, ~4/5, max 7 in B's and ~3, max 5 elsewhere for >91. Quite a few people didn't do as well either in trials, the 1st dodge assessment, or the speech...
Nah, not awks, I'm REALLY vocal about who I dislike - I'm generally apathetic/like towards 90% of the year. So high chance is that you're in the latter, rather than earlier.

And yess, Hamlet exemplar was mine. Obviously pre-prepared with atrocious handwriting! My specialty. How did you know?

Hmm... F's class did so-so in the exams (a few surprises tbh). Gotta love my class, we're all overachievers! Fingers crossed... Also, regarding EE1, the cohort got tiny, it would be max 40/50 in my opinion. F's class, B's class and BB's class (and there are couple there who only do 2u and come in only during those periods). They also round up so you got 46... that would, fingers crossed, be in top 15/20? I don't know, I know of at least 3 people including myself on 48, 1 person on 49 but generally my class did alright in the exam (so like... 21+ for each section). Fingers crossed.

aphorae

HSC
Uni Grad
Oh okay probably... idk, but don't you think disliking 10% of the grade is a bit much though, that's like 20 people lol. Yeaaaah I don't really know you and I haven't talked to you for yeaaars so no idea about that 10% :p

I heard someone say that it might have been yours, something about big handwriting lol. Dude okay that Hamlet exemplar was fucking amazing... srsly. Only two pages were read out but even halfway through the intro I was already like wow wtf. Okay, I thought mine was pretty decent until I heard yours. I don't recall the last time I read an essay both sophisticated and super concise. You perfectly explained in 3 words something that took me half a (crap, marker-underlined) sentence lol. Not to mention well-chosen verbs which I suck at thinking of on the spot (I tend to fall back on 'conveys' or 'suggests'). You could legit sell yours for $15+ post-HSC.

It sounds kinda lame to say this, but no joke I went out and raved to my friend about it for a few mins.

Even B was like... obviously this girl didn't just go into the exam and do it on the spot.

Moving on. I was a bit surprised by the marks I heard too. Well, I'm not complaining lol, I'm bordering ecstatic with mine (only really after hearing other people's marks tbh). I thoroughly fucked Romanticism though. More than doubled, probably actually tripled my rank fml. Thank god trials were only worth 15/50.

Also, pretty sure there's still ~60 for EE1? 20 in F's, 18 in B's, 20+ in BB's? Yeah, hoping I get moderated up to 47, then ace externals lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)