You guys feel like your text book has got alot of irrelevant bs? (1 Viewer)

LivesOffTheLand

HSC
Sup Brahs,

We got issued the business studies in action book and from what I've heard and read its the best Business book concerning the new syllabus. However, any of you guys feel like its got quite a bit of irrelevant bullshit? Especially in regards to the HR and Operations topics. E.g Pages 5 - 8 of the book talk about Operations and customer focus and that shit is not mentioned anywhere in the Operations syllabus.

IDK what do brahs, exams on Monday and ain't nobody got time for all of that non-syllabus shite. Maybe i should just use the syllabus to title my notes and type up what I reckon is relevant from the book?

rednellav

HSC
Yeah brah reading business studies in action now - a lot of extra syllabus information.

I'm just reading it all tonight (whole textbook) then tomorrow I'll go through and match up relevant shit with the syllabus.

LivesOffTheLand

HSC
Mah Nigga.

But srsly tho, I've just decided to finish up my notes by making headings through the syllabus and then just picking out relevant information from In action.

Fuckin HSC makes me upset.

zhusalmz

HSC
bill shorten interview on bullying. thanks business studies in action

zhusalmz

HSC
just using it in conjunction with excel and some cunts notes I bought from here + Qantas.

LivesOffTheLand

HSC
I think mostly its due to the vagueness of the business syllabus. For HR processes the syllabus has just got 4 words: Acquisition, Development, Maintenance and separation.

Nek Minnut message from Bill Shorten: 'Bullying is bad brahs'

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
it's like the only viable textbook aligned with the new sylabus

LivesOffTheLand

HSC
I think that's the primary reason why were getting shafted by the book. Stuck with the first edition that was basically made up by guessing what actual content falls under under the BOS's general ass syllabus terms. The second edition will probs be much more streamlined, so i guess the following years are in luck (or not considering public education and their 1 book per century rule)

monsta4lyfe

HSC
The ACTION textbook is great for the new syllabus. The bizWords are awesome, really simple and effective tools to get across a good understanding of the syllabus. I also use the Cambridge textbook as backup for clarification on certain points.

If you have learnt anything from business studies by this stage, it should be that it is a subject where you only need about 2 or 3 sentences under each dot point. With that being said, that adds up to knowing about 80 pages worth of notes making it a difficult subject to cram with if you have a bad short-term memory.

AND I refuse for people to say the syllabus for business as 'vague'. It is perhaps one of, if not, the most black and white syllabus offered by the Board. It is not a subject you can bs and get lucky with either. A consistent knowledge across all 4 topics is required in order for a band 6, which is attainable if you genuinely enjoy the subject.

xFlamez

HSC
N/A
In response to your question, i had 5 pages of notes for each topic and managed a 92 in my trials. Business studies= common sense imo.

rednellav

HSC
In response to your question, i had 5 pages of notes for each topic and managed a 92 in my trials. Business studies= common sense imo.
If you have common sense and know the syllabus well, 80%+ is pretty much a given.

LivesOffTheLand

HSC
Lol, when i used to study less and bull shit more for business I used to perform better. Half yearlies rank 2/92, nek minnut after trials 15/92. Feelsbadman.jpeg

It might be cause I truanted all of business past week 5 of term 3, but still.

PakZilla

HSC
oh wow that's funny OP because We got issued the same business studies in action book and from what I've heard and read its the best Business book concerning the new syllabus. However, any of you guys feel like its got quite a bit of irrelevant bullshit? Especially in regards to the HR and Operations topics. E.g Pages 5 - 8 of the book talk about Operations and customer focus and that shit is not mentioned anywhere in the Operations syllabus.

IDK what do brahs, exams on Monday and ain't nobody got time for all of that non-syllabus shite. Maybe i should just use the syllabus to title my notes and type up what I reckon is relevant from the book?

bongoli

HSC
Lol agreed, stick to dotpoint summaries but reinforce understanding with the textbook as it's heaps helpful if you don't get something

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
I didn't study, even for a day for the business HSC... Still managed a 87 - pretty good considering I couldn't remember the syllabus dot points to save my life.

MadLife

HSC
BSIA have sequenced the syllabus dot-points well though
1. Focus on the distinctive points that can be related to the core topics and elaborate like theres no fuckin tomorrow
2. $$ profit anyone?

Examine

same
HSC
BSIA have sequenced the syllabus dot-points well though
1. Focus on the distinctive points that can be related to the core topics and elaborate like theres no fuckin tomorrow
2. $$ profit anyone?
I agree.

Although it's really excessive, it practically has all the info you need bar case studies.

sirable1

HSC
Uni Grad
Business Studies in Action was the best book I've used. Creative Business Studies and Business Focus was also good.

Purchased all 3 books with my own money because the book I've used in school was that bad.

I hated Cambridge Business Studies, it was too inconsistent with the content. Too bad this was my school prescribed textbook for my HSC.

Examine

same
HSC
Business Studies in Action was the best book I've used. Creative Business Studies and Business Focus was also good.

Purchased all 3 books with my own money because the book I've used in school was that bad.

I hated Cambridge Business Studies, it was too inconsistent with the content. Too bad this was my school prescribed textbook for my HSC.
Yeah I was never a fan of Cambridge (used it for a bit but as you said it was heaps inconsistent). Creative Business Studies and BS:IA are the top choices imo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)