You Want Help On Speeches??? (1 Viewer)

7bonita7

hey guys
read a few threads on speeches hopin to learn somethin new. noticed people didnt even know basics. ask me questions or anyhting. here to help

7bonita7

k, well obviously no one is here right now.
firstly group the speeches.

Speaking to the People: Lincoln and Keating
On Trial: Socrates and Goldman
The Lawyer and the Preacher: Cicero and King
Exclusion and Inclusion: Pearson and Suu Kyi
Finding the Balance: McAleese and Levertov and Havel
In Literature: Atwood

Remember they are grouped like this for a reason, firstly easier to remember and they have similar views and ideas put forward.

Sophie777

Yeh, what the hell techniques does Vaclav Havel and whats her name Suu Kyi and McAleese.

-Recoil-

This question is definitely the one I'm the least prepared for, it's full of crap and the scope for the texts they may ask you is huge. Personally I'm going in with a basic knowledge on all of them but have Keating & Lincoln's speeches somewhat indepth. The questions have been based around these two fairly often so knowing my luck they'll ask for the shit foreign ones - Kyi, Havel, russian/irish idiots.. I dunno, they're all crap.

Sophie777

Yeh i reckon, they'll specify one of the shit ones. Like cicero. Seriously!! He died soooo long ago WHO CARES WHAT HE THINKS!

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
i hate the "reception in different contexts" part, i sooooo dont get it

7bonita7

-Recoil- said:
they'll ask for the shit foreign ones - Kyi, Havel, russian/irish idiots.. I dunno, they're all crap.
true they probably will.
list things you need to know.
such as context, subject matter, etc. i know people think techniques and that are most important but i find if you know the basis of the speech you will remember everythin more clearly. eg. use of rhetoric

7bonita7

Sophie777 said:
Like cicero. Seriously!! He died soooo long ago WHO CARES WHAT HE THINKS!
hate to be a stick in the mud but markers will.
atleast you know he's ancient so thats a start.
Cicero's speech revolved around another Roman poiltician Catiline, who aimed to use tyranny as a political move to gain rome under his power. Cicero being the smart man he was prevented this plan from going under way.
post any questions, i dont know exactly what to tell you.

zelda

just a question...
what does it mean by universal themes in speeches?
eg in luther king, equality, justice, freedom is that right?

and how does a speech resonate thru time?
is it because of the techniques and the universal themes?

thanks

Sophie777

Yes. I would have only written yes but the stupid thing said it has to be more than 10 characters.

Seraph

Now You've done it.......
HSC
N/A
townie said:
i hate the "reception in different contexts" part, i sooooo dont get it

how was it recieved in the various contexts... (the various periods of time)

e.g
obviously Socrates speech in its historical context was not recieved well . I mean come on they put the guy to death...... because all the people cared about then was their materialistic possessions
but now to a more modern context i guess Socrates oratory is much more receptive since alot more people are realising the value of wisdom over materialism, furthermore Socrates's general structure of his speech in his use of "socratic Irony" is very widely used in a more modern context , think about dialectic ( the exchange of propositions and counter propositions) apparently this came about because of his Oratory...

7bonita7

zelda said:
just a question...
what does it mean by universal themes in speeches?
eg in luther king, equality, justice, freedom is that right?

and how does a speech resonate thru time?
is it because of the techniques and the universal themes?

thanks

universal themes is saying what rings true for everyine everywhere, so you are right in saying in kings its equality, justice and freedom.

resonate through time?? if you refer to what seraph says in light of socrates in regards to his technique and so on, you'll see how one speech can echo throughout time a good thousands of years. so in saying resonate, remember the word is saying echo or ring.

umm, its actually a good idea to run through all speeches and just jot down what it meant to them and their audience at that time, and then write what it means to us as contemporary audience.
does the meaning change or does it stay the same??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)