Your experience with electives and sub-majors? (1 Viewer)

FlayD

HSC
So, I've yet to enroll in a either a sub-major or elective for this year.

Before I make my choice, I was wondering if anyone could share any advice or experiences regarding DAB electives and sub-majors. I'm currently studying Visual Communication, about to enter my second year.

geegables

HSC
So, I've yet to enroll in a either a sub-major or elective for this year.

Before I make my choice, I was wondering if anyone could share any advice or experiences regarding DAB electives and sub-majors. I'm currently studying Visual Communication, about to enter my second year.
Yo, I'm in 4th year for Vis-com.
From what i know they've removed sub-majors altogether? So even if you technically complete say all the subjects in a submajor.. it'll still come up on your transcript as the 4 different subjects.

Anyway in choosing the types of subjects. Do what interests you is my best advice. I entered 2nd year with the idea i was going to do an entire Advertising Principles submajor but after the 2nd subject realised it was not for me. In 3rd year i ended up doing 2 'Special Projects' electives - 1 which was with Architecture and Interior Design students and the other was working in a live brief with Telstra.

It depends on what your interests are from the course, i know from experience people who do the Photography electives end up doing all 4.. i know some people who did 4 different electives and loved the ability to get a taste for different design fields as well.

What were you thinking of taking up ?

FlayD

HSC
I'm interested in studying film, actually, although not so much the animation components (I'd certainly be interested, but I'm not so sure if it's practical). Otherwise, I'm not entirely sure what to choose, which is why I was asking in the first place. :p

geegables

HSC
I'm interested in studying film, actually, although not so much the animation components (I'd certainly be interested, but I'm not so sure if it's practical). Otherwise, I'm not entirely sure what to choose, which is why I was asking in the first place. :p
Ahah ok great well i entered with an interest in film so this works out well..

In third year there is a stream called 'VC Tech' where the VisCom students pretty much choose a VisCom elective - between Film, Web, Photomedia or Interactive Media. Here you can choose 'Introduction to Film' and then 'Advanced Film & Video' where you will pretty much learn how to shoot properly and all the effects you would need for a career in it etc: Its the best thing to Film in the Viscom course.

But for the electives in 2nd year .. the closest you could get to Film is in the 'Film and Video' submajor .. but its the subject called 'Introduction to Production Design' which will give you an insight into what is required to actually shoot .. so learning about mis en scene, lighting, set design etc:

The film options only really come in 3rd year..so you'll have to wait another year before you actually get behind a camera

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)