Your feelings towards internationals. (1 Viewer)

lolcal

buy my notes
HSC
N/A
after apartment searching in the cbd for two weeks i already hate the fucking disgusting international students with no sense of hygiene or social skills

bwendan

HSC
International students can get into a course if they have reached the Guaranteed ENTER/UAI,etc. (rather than the clearly-in), in the same way that local students who are willing to pay full fee could.
That's no longer allowed because of the Rudd Govt.

Using your logic, it would then be fair to say that local students who could pay full fee also reduce 'the quality of the signal [you] can convey to potential employers from having a BCom/BSc from UoM'... whatever that means
Anything that increases the variance in student quality would, so yes.

Also, ironically, this 'variance in student quality' is not the fault of international students.
I didn't say it was solely their "fault".

it's unfair to judge 'student quality' by university entrance scores alone.
Boo-hoo. You got a better measure that is objective and directly comparable?

That's like saying that Commerce students in UoM are better than Enginnering ones just because the cut-off score was higher.
Or that students don't develop intellectually throughout their stay in Uni and that they'll always just be worth whatever their university entrance score is.[/quote]

Are you done attacking the straw-man?

Further, who is to say that university entrance scores aren't correlated with academic achievement at the university level? If it wasn't correlated, there wouldn't be much point in using university entrance scores in selection.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Further, who is to say that university entrance scores aren't correlated with academic achievement at the university level? If it wasn't correlated, there wouldn't be much point in using university entrance scores in selection.
Required entrance scores are based on demand/competition for places.

If were based on the intellectual requirments, engineering would have a higher necessary score than commerce.

u-borat

Banned
HSC
I currently have an international asian student living in the garage. All he does every day is abuse the electrical appliances and doors plus call people on his mobile and invite his friends into my place and waste all the internet downloads per month. At school (luckily he doesn't go to my school) he doesn't care about homework and stuff. Most internationals here are lazy and just want them to be Australian citizens so their families can also immigrate here. Most international students are cheap people like they waste as much water and electricity and internet at home. When they go out they wear their big designer labels- Gucci, Gianni Versace, LV, Prada while their poor parents back in their homeland give them everything so they are spoilt. Most international students usually do these subjects for the HSC- English ESL, Chinese Background Speakers or Chinese Extension +Chinese Continuers, 4u Maths (do bad and there's the huge scaling they count on) as they actually have an age advantage over us locals- in year 12 there are internationals that are 21-22 years old and they have already finished their schooling back in china but their parents want them to have a richer life in Australia so they send them here. The international that lives in my house doesn't work at all compared to us locals who work to earn money for our families. My dad says most international students or immigrants that try to immigrate here usually come with a 457 visa while some illegally work with a holiday visa cause the Australian dollar value is worth a whole lot more than their homeland. As a local i feel that the intake of internationals is generating money for the government and schools but there are the flaws of taking up our uni spaces and UAI spots
ahahahahahahhahhahahaha retard post

antisheep

HSC
Personally I am glad for International Students as a whole because the fact of the matter is universities need money to run, and given how heavily subsidised the education is that us domestic students are receiving, it's a nice little money spinner for the university, meaning that we can get quality education without paying anything upfront... it's a good deal for us.

what I don't like though, is things like UTSInsearch and SIBT where you pay out the nose for a year, get slightly above average marks and then can get into university degrees with little or no actual proof of aptitude to my way of thinking... My friend's mother tutors english to International students at Tafe planning on applying to university and apparently the attitude is "I don't need to worry if I fail... SIBT and Insearch will take me because my parents have money" and that's what I don't like....

As for actual university life with International students, the vast majority I don't mind. It's true that I avoid them when it comes to group work occassionally but that usually is me being selfish and not wanting to deal with the language barrier/edit written work than it is a fear that they won't work hard... I did two oral presentations last year both with a group comprised of only international students and it was fine.

I think people just get a bit of xenophobia rather than any real substantive issues with international students to be honest... just remember that if it weren't for them then either we'd be paying out the nose for our education or a bunch of universities would have had to shut down by now...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)