Your first driving experience (1 Viewer)

HSC
How would you describe it? Were you nervous? Do anything stupid? Well I had yesturday and today, and I just felt nervous at the start but just got over it. I don't look over my shoulder, but got better throughout the driving lessons. I also don't know why but I accelerate too much!

WORST Moment: The instructor had his foot on the break while i tried to accelerate in a quiet street as i didnt see that it was a one way street sign. Lucky there wernet any cars around.

Jiga

I would say I was good on my first go, drove home through some light traffic as I already had enough confident after 30mins practicing.

I don't look over my shoulder, but got better throughout the driving lessons. I also don't know why but I accelerate too much!
Dats weird, personally I dont even use side mirrors... like I will look occasionally and rear view to get an idea of whos around me, but when I turn I prefer to look over shoulder to look for a gap. Bad part of this is if the car in front brakes hard its easy to rear end, gotta do it quickly! And with da accelerating, I think thats normal, I did it as well because personally at least I didnt expect the car to roll forward so easy when you take your foot off the brake, this and the fact that you still need to learn how much to push pedal down etc contribute to it. I also had probs with this when going from my mums car to 2 lessons in an Honda Accord... didnt really like the feeling of that car although even after 2 lessons I was getting more use to it.

Pace_T

HSC
my first experience was prettyboring mainly coz i was driving around soooooo slowly n every time i put my foot the slightest bit more down on the acceelorator i would get yelled at......
but now most of the time i have the accelorater all the way down when accelorating coz the cars a nugget haha

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
My first driving experience was in a manual so naturally I think like everyone is that first time they get behind the wheel I was nervous more of stalling and controlling the clutch then anything else.

I was in an industrial estate which besides the odd truck and person going fishing was all but empty although on this day the local cycling club was having a big ride around :O. Sat in the car for awhile with dad explaining everything about how the car (manual) works what to do with the clutch changing gears etc etc. Of course within the first few seconds of starting the car and trying to take off I stalled it. Many a hour was spent on that estate practicing the fine art of clutch movement and basic car control before backstreets main roads and finally wherever.

Being a learner driver seems such a long time now. Don’t worry I am sure your instructor like all have seen it all for learner drivers and probably was not to phased. As with anything practice makes perfect and as you kept practicing your confidence will slowly build.

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
Stalled like 50 times.
Got it purring.
Dad explained things.
Went for a drive up the road.
Learnt how to change gears, maintain a safety cushion, learn how to drive on country road with no centreline.
Then stopped, got dad to turn around cause I was inept at smooth take offs..
Drove back.
Practiced more take offs.

Next day hillstarts.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
I was nervous but very excited at the same time. Didn't stuff anything up, just did as the instructor told me too and it was all good and fun.

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
First driving experience, I sorta had to adjust from the style of driving in racing games to try as best not to even scratch the car.

Hit the kerb quite a few times when turning corners. But when I did park, the car was about 20 cm away from the kerb so it was pretty good (lucky).

SiZmOs

"Shaken, not stirred."
HSC
mmm just did quiet driving in streets near home. didnt get above 50. i drove for over a year to get above 50 hours, (ended up on about 70) before i even got an instructor.
and with the not looking over your shoulder - i used to never do it, but driving home one evening almost veered into the guy who was in my blind spot. now i always check it. you'll learn.
all the best :)

Jiga

Man I cant believe people dont check it! Ive always used my own eyes as opposed to looking in the mirrors, and even then sometimes I become complacent and start to slowly move into another lane while checking and then realise someone is their!

HotShot

-_-
HSC
u have to check the blind spot, you wouldnt how many times i forget to check and as i was overtaking - honk!!!! HONK!!..lolz so check cos sometimes the other drive might be sleeping and then BANG! - u dont want that to happen.

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
Heh, fun times those first few drives hey?

I didn't stall, never did stall very much, but my first time out I did major "bunny-hops" lol. Then I had issues slowing down fast enough for turning into driveways etc (luckily I was learning in a small town with next to no traffic). Also held clutch in when stopping. Terrible terrible terrible. I was also afraid to accelerate too fast, since I found the accelerator to be way more touchy then I was expecting, but little did I realise it's not really that bad when you're moving.

Other issues I had which I also see common with all new learners:
Slowing down on hills. Need to press the accelerator dudes!
Major lack of confidence on roundabouts.
Just general shitness (to be expected though)

Ah learning's good fun :)

Jiga

Major lack of confidence on roundabouts.
Lol the first couple of times I went through a roundabout I didnt know you HAD to giveway to your right, I just waited to their was a gap and went... in retrospect I cant believe I didnt know that! Its amazing though how many even full license holders have no confidence in roundabouts, they are designed to be free flowing but alot of people with their lack of confidence turn them into a hazard

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
DUmsum said:
Slowing down on hills.
In a hilly area it's not really that I have no idea of my speed when going down hill, but sometimes I really can't be bothered to brake especially if the road is clear ahead.

Then you would have to press the accelerator a lot more when you go uphill again.

Jiga

^

Yeah I think most people do that... there is a valley type situation like that near me where I reach like 80km/h in a 50 zone cos then it means I dont have to acclerate at all going up the hill where there is a stop sign. N e ways I think Dumsum was referring to going up hill and how some people continue at the same depression of the accelerator whilst going up hill when you obviously need to give it some more gas to maintain a constant speed!

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
Schoolies_2004 said:
^

Yeah I think most people do that... there is a valley type situation like that near me where I reach like 80km/h in a 50 zone cos then it means I dont have to acclerate at all going up the hill where there is a stop sign. N e ways I think Dumsum was referring to going up hill and how some people continue at the same depression of the accelerator whilst going up hill when you obviously need to give it some more gas to maintain a constant speed!
Yeah that's what I meant, sorry dudes.

CieL

HSC
First time..

Drove a big german v6.. and with german cars the accelerator and the brakes are like, 1cm apart...

Anyways, stepped on accel, car LEPT... I got scared... hit the brakes, felt alright when the car was stationary.. moved my foot to step on accel again, and accidentally stepped on the side speakers instead...

Anyways.. first corner.. I had no idea of speed and I entered the corner too fast (like 60 on a sharp turn), and gutter bashed the rear alloys..

I think that was a total of 5mins and I didnt drive again till I got my Ls.

CieL

HSC
Schoolies_2004 said:
Lol the first couple of times I went through a roundabout I didnt know you HAD to giveway to your right, I just waited to their was a gap and went... in retrospect I cant believe I didnt know that! Its amazing though how many even full license holders have no confidence in roundabouts, they are designed to be free flowing but alot of people with their lack of confidence turn them into a hazard
Also stupid new rule is also a hazard.... About indicating left when you're getting out of a roundabout?

This roadabout was huge... so I wasn't sure where the guy was coming from, but he had no indicators on, so I planned on giving way for him to go straight... However since the roundabout has two lanes, him being in the inside lane started indicating left and suddenly switched to the outside lane whilst in the roundabout... and at the same time he was also next to an exit, so I thought he was indicating left to exit on the road to my right...

So I started going... AND HE GOES STRAIGHT AFTER INDICATING LEFT

And then he beeps at me...

Like wtf... if you were going to indicate out of a round about... make sure you don't do it so fkn early it looks like you're going to turn left!

Jiga

^

I think the rule in THEORY is a good one, it would aid traffic flow if people knew that a car was intending to exit the roundabout as opposed to continuing along. However practically its crap, no-one does it, not even cops because its to much of a hasle and in some tight roundabouts, it would be a hazard trying to indicate left while needing to turn sharply!

In your situation though Im not so sure if its the blinker rule thingy thats to blame, Im not 100% but isnt it illegal to change lanes whilst on a roundabout? I know there is a 2 lane roundabout near me that has a solid line around it, meaning you cant change... because for obvious reasons like you experienced its dangerous!

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
People should indicate left to exit roundabout, but only at the appropiate time, as with all other indicating situations. Watch their wheels, best way to know where they're headed.

CieL

HSC
Schoolies_2004 said:
Im not 100% but isnt it illegal to change lanes whilst on a roundabout? I know there is a 2 lane roundabout near me that has a solid line around it, meaning you cant change... because for obvious reasons like you experienced its dangerous!
Yes... however, this is the roundabout on Smithfield Rd (if you've ever seen it)... The thing is, this roundabout has like, 6 exits...

To go straight:
1. Wait in the right lane
2. Head straight into the inside lane
3. Start indicating left after two exits into the ouside lane
4. Exit the roundabout

View attachment 13765

THAT is what you're meant to do.

However, the guy that nearly crashed into me did alllll that, cept he went the way of the purple line.... He indicated at the same spot too so I thought he was going to follow the red line... apparently not *grr*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)