your opinion on tutoring... (1 Viewer)

~*HSC 4 life*~

HSC
N/A
tutoring is good, but you'll do just as well without a tutor if you out the effort in yourself

Heinz

The Musical Fruit
HSC
Ive never had a tutor but what Ive seen from those people who do have tutors is that its a complete waste of time/money. A few hours a week paying someone to set you more homework... your time would be better invested in buying a few textbooks and learning things on your own.

Personal experience tells me that you can do just as well without having a tutor and its even more sweeter when you beat someone who gets tutored in exams and assessments :p

astro

HSC
Tutoring, for me, was quite helpful as i came from being last in adv maths (yr 10) in a couple of exams to 2nd for my yearly one. English was pretty good too.

skypryn

sexual robot
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Newbie
its a neccesary evil
the popularity of it means you are at a disadvantage if you dont go
dammit nwebie i would have thought better from you. yeah greeninsanity your so right its only people who go to tutoring that tell others ts a disadvantage by not going!

tutoring is the biggest lie of all time. everyone who has improved their marks is always in denial, attempting to convince themselves that it was the tutor that made a differece...how wrong they are.

tutoring is not paying for learning, its paying someone to motivate you because your too damn lazy while at the same time therer are children starving in Africa.

Want success? get access to the same resources that you pay the tutors to and work them out yourself? dont feel unfortunate that everyone else wastes their money. just worry about yourself and how well you know the work.

end shpiel

is a roflcopter
HSC
i think i can safely say that everyone in the top 20 of my school went to tutoring

whatever conclusion you derive from that is up to you

also while its a bit cynical, its also naive to assume that what they teach you at school is neccesarily the most efficient way to do things

KfWang

also while its a bit cynical, its also naive to assume that what they teach you at school is neccesarily the most efficient way to do things
yes i very much agree with it. Some tutors teach different methods of learning, and different methods of going about the same problem.
Some people actually get a lot of new methods of doing things at tutoring, but it can just as easily stuff you up.

Example: My maths tutoring teaches me good methods for intergration and differentiation, but for Simpson's rule its not as good as the school method

Archman

HSC
N/A
yes i agree too. You should only go to tutoring to enhance your learning, not to catch up on what you missed while asleep.

skypryn

sexual robot
HSC
N/A
i think i can safely say that everyone in the top 20 of my school went to tutoring

well thats obviously not surprising as anybody going to tutoring will recieve decent marks - they either care about their marks or their parents force them to...

having said that the best students do not require tutoring. its like submitting to allowing somebody to read you problems or tell you problems that they know, when you could have read them and worked them out yourself. money is much better spent on resources.

btw, i dont donate the money to children in africa, it was obviously a humourous analogy, but if i had any money, i probably would.

one of my heros is this guy in my year. he has no money. he lives with his mum who runs a daycare in his apartment and every single afternoon he has to go straight home and help "mind the babies". he has never had tutoring. he doesnt have internet. he doesnt even buy books like excel. and last year in yr 11 he got 98 in 2U maths...he just worked from grove real hard and made sure he knew every answer to every question.

heres another thought of mine...many students who take tutoring in chatswood etc. travel to get there, it doesnt start till 6 so they hang around, travel to get home. they often get home at like 7.30-8 just for a one hour tutoring. what a waste! instead, i just go home and start work at 4.30 and by the time they get home after a one hour social session, ive done 3 hours work!

private tutors are a little better, but cost more money...i think the more private you go the more your paying for someone to dig up resources for you because you cant be bothered.

;)

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC

thats not true, i know 2 or 3 that havent had any tutoring :p but i do agree with the last part, the teaching methods at school are shithouse (but then all my teachers were crap cept 2)

But it depends... most tutoring place just give you an incentive to do work... + handouts... which for some subjects arent really needed. you can spend that time doing the work yourself. ...also depends on your teacher though, i had a pretty incompetent english adv teacher(s) and prolly wouldve prefered 2 have a tutor at the time....

on the other hand you can always use the fact that you don't have tuition as a motivation technique. it works....occasionally. hehe.

edit: actually no wait tuition is good! tuition is great! give me a message if you need help in Physics or ext1 maths :D

Last edited:

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
gosh- this is like the 100th thread on tutoring. :p

in short, its good but its not necessary if u can sustain motivation and stuff- which was hard for me last year. :eek:

Blackalicious

HSC
HUGE waste of time UNLESS your teachers are not teaching you properly or your having difficulty understanding the work. In which case individual tutoring is better than group tutoring

Sickle

Hello Sunshine
HSC
Tutoring can get expensive, but my parents are willing to pay for it and anything school related, it's helped me so much with math, I just can't get my head around the stuff. My tutor is deffinitly a miracle worker and she deffinitly earns her money.

skypryn

sexual robot
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by SpoRTsGaL
i don't think i can ever learn from a tutor.. maybe if i a not going well in 4u maths i will get a tutor, but i won't know if i have gone baclly until i get my half yearly exam back.
um...i think youd know if you're doing well at it or not. if you need a test result to verify your progress, then i would say your going sh*t. if not, you woulda walked outta the room knowing you killed the test

is a roflcopter
HSC
Originally posted by Constip8edSkunk
thats not true, i know 2 or 3 that havent had any tutoring :p but i do agree with the last part, the teaching methods at school are shithouse (but then all my teachers were crap cept 2)

But it depends... most tutoring place just give you an incentive to do work... + handouts... which for some subjects arent really needed. you can spend that time doing the work yourself. ...also depends on your teacher though, i had a pretty incompetent english adv teacher(s) and prolly wouldve prefered 2 have a tutor at the time....

on the other hand you can always use the fact that you don't have tuition as a motivation technique. it works....occasionally. hehe.

edit: actually no wait tuition is good! tuition is great! give me a message if you need help in Physics or ext1 maths :D

oi!
you're suppose to back me up no matter how wild my exaggerations are :D

Marie-Paule

tution is good but only at th right age coz some parents give their chicd tution at like such an early age like in yr 3 whihc is soooo wrong (i think) coz a child that old should be runnin round n diggin holes not gettin maths n english tution...maybe in like yr 7 or 6 no earlier lol but orelse they r so good hehe especially 4 chem :p

WishUponAStar

Happy Tafe Student!
HSC
My maths tutor helps me heaps.
I can remember more things now because I write the things I don't understand down during the week and we go over it when she comes over. It's easier that going to the teacher because she's really busy and doesn't have enough time to do one on one help.

Some of my friends have had tutoring and it hasn't helped, though.

blam_babe

This chick in my yr did really well in one of her assessments coz her tutor basically did it for her. I recon that constitutes cheating, if she's not actaully doing the work (eg research) for herself whereas everyone else has to do it for themselves.

Zarathustra

Dasein
The ficticious world of subject, substance, "reaso
HSC
Originally posted by blam_babe
This chick in my yr did really well in one of her assessments coz her tutor basically did it for her. I recon that constitutes cheating, if she's not actaully doing the work (eg research) for herself whereas everyone else has to do it for themselves.
That is cheating but what are you going to do:rolleyes: - she admts it how many don't (everyone with a tutor:p - all generalities are false but still fun) I suppose it is an opportunity open for all - still if more than one person from the same school had the same tutor then they're stuffed:D

Stolen Kiss

HSC
That depends on how the tutor and student relationship.
Example, if the students badly need a tutor and willing to learn from his/her tutor the tutorial become successful, but if the students are lazy and the tutor is not that really dedicated to his/her work that's what you call a waste of time and money.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)