Your Technique in 'Effectiveness' Essays (1 Viewer)

crimsonking

HSC
My sister has been teaching me how to write legal essays (in general, essays in all subjects). I would like to see how you guys write an essay for legal, and considering that 'effectivenss' is a popular choice I would like it if we used that as a basis.

What My sister told me to do:
  • Intro: brief rundown on eg. consumer law, what happens etc. My sister has said that you need a brief summary of your essay in here. For example: when assessing whether or not consumer law is effective a criteria must be used. The criteria is; equality, resource efficiency, accessibility
  • Body: expand on your criteria
  • Sum it up
My main reason to start this thread was to see how people write essays and specifically how many factors do you include? I just had a legal assessment and I placed four factors influencing effectiveness.

So if you are a legal prodigy (or know of one) how many factors do they include? If you are a fast writer, 5-6 well argued for both effectiveness and ineffectiveness in 40-50 mins.

crimsonking

HSC
Thank you for teh acronym link, but what I am focusing on is how many factors of effectives have BOSers used in their essays?

If you think about, covering 9-10 points adquetley is probably impossible, while covering 4-5 is easily done.

I was also wondering what factors Bosers did use.

poopoohead

HSC
how many cases/media/documents etc should we aim to refer to in our essays to achieve a good mark?

?

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
poopoohead said:
how many cases/media/documents etc should we aim to refer to in our essays to achieve a good mark?

?
wherever necessary
use them to back up your content.

ellejay145

HSC
The factors which affect the effectiveness of the legal system include: Equality, Accessability (Time, cost, knowledge), Enforceability, Resource Efficiency, and the Balance of rights of the individual and rights of the community. In regards to media reports and cases, you need as many as you can remember. Obviously the ones in the textbook are important, especially ones which set precent and include part of the sylabus ie definition of marriage hyde v hyde, but in our marking criteria for our essays it generally says around 20 cases. That is just an estimation and if you can include a case/media report for every area included in the essay than you will get more marks. Hope that helps

ms.JESS

HSC
I have the best Legal Studies teacher! She has taught me so much! I went through prelim not knowing a thing then my old teacher left and my new teacher came and I had a sudden passion for Legal Studies!

Im aiming for a band 5 or 6, need to study the first topic though! We're doing shelter at the moment .. I HATE IT! I wanted to do world order but it was a class vote. Anyone doing world order, how do you like it??

crimsonking

HSC
but in our marking criteria for our essays it generally says around 20 cases

Geez, that is a lot to remember 20+20+10 (from crime maybe).

A few questions:
Have you done the HSC and if you have how did you go?
If you are doing the HSc this year, how are your marks?

I can't really remember any atm, but when I do.....

Korrupt Soul

HSC
Oww, and remember that if you evaulate something as ineffective, then you need to suggest reforms to to fix the problems.

ellejay145

HSC
In response to Crimsonking, i know it is alot to remember but that is simply for a band 6 response, and im guessing if you only know 10 for each but get everything else in the marking criteria then you will still do well and get a band six. I am currently doing the HSC, and the subjects we are doing:
Law and Society(inc Human Rights), Crime, Consumers and Family
Not wanting to seem like im bragging or anything but you asked; in all of my assignments i have gotten 100% (one assignment for each topic), my prelim examination marks: half yearly 91%, yearly 93%, and my HSC marks so far was 92% for the half yearly (we havent done the trials, they are next week)
Just remember to know enough cases to back up what you are trying to say. Also remember when you are talking about cases and media reports, do not go on and on about then, simply state why they are important, you don't need to say every detail, about one sentence.

crimsonking

HSC
Brag all you want elle, with marks like that you have the right to.

I'm doing the same topics as you, I have figured out that it is hard to incorporate case law for crime questions (well most of them any way).

Thanks for the info though.

ellejay145

HSC
hehe, my name is Lisa btw, ellejay is just my initials ie L.J
Yeah i think it's hard because in the HSC crime questions are short answer and revolve around case study type questions. I think the only really important one for crime would be:
Dietrich v the Queen (1992) [legal aid]
and possibly McInnes v R (1979) [although i forget what this was about sorry, maybe legal aid aswell?]
If you did find any that were easy to remember then it would be good, you could slip in into a question and show those examiners what your made of! But honestly, don't waste your study time on learning them if you need it to be concentrating on the other topics, esp the ones for the essays at the end. If you need any help, any cases or anything like that just lemme no, i'll be only to happy to help (if i can). :rofl:

Surviv0r

HSC
ellejay145 said:
In response to Crimsonking, i know it is alot to remember but that is simply for a band 6 response, and im guessing if you only know 10 for each but get everything else in the marking criteria then you will still do well and get a band six. I am currently doing the HSC, and the subjects we are doing:
Law and Society(inc Human Rights), Crime, Consumers and Family
Not wanting to seem like im bragging or anything but you asked; in all of my assignments i have gotten 100% (one assignment for each topic), my prelim examination marks: half yearly 91%, yearly 93%, and my HSC marks so far was 92% for the half yearly (we havent done the trials, they are next week)
Just remember to know enough cases to back up what you are trying to say. Also remember when you are talking about cases and media reports, do not go on and on about then, simply state why they are important, you don't need to say every detail, about one sentence.
its all true...i'm in her class and theres no way i can beat her...even my 16 page assignment failed....:( i have beaten her once by one mark...MUHA..

ellejay145

HSC
heheh Hello Survivor, yes, you did beat me in one exam, and perhaps you will beat me in the trials?:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)