Your thoughts (1 Viewer)

stormz89

HSC
Ok I'm not the best essay writer, my essays were like a 12/20, but I never put in any effort because I didn't know how.

But during last holidays I found some of those Excel english study guides. I used them to create the 4 essays that I needed. I took notes, and did the 2007 exam paper. When I handed it into the teacher she said I plaglarised, because its not my level of work. But it isn't plaglarism if you use notes, and write an essay structured similarly to theirs right? Its not like its word for word. It's notes taken, expressed similar to the essay writen by Excel, and adapted to the essay question. Isn't that what the resources are for?

Speaking of plaglarism, do we have to do that "All my own work" on the board of studies or we don't get our HSC? I've done half, its just so long.

seano77

Walk On
HSC
Unless you're in year 11, im pretty sure you should've done the "All my own work" stuff by now. Taking ideas from excel and using them directly as your own is plagerism. Sure, take concepts but memorising chunks from excel is firstly not going to get you super high marks and secondly doesn't show your understanding.

HSC
Without offence I don't know why you'd copy them anyway. The excel guides, especially for english and history, are the home of the desperate.

btw: Did anyone hear what happened a couple of years ago with Telling the Truth: Frontline? in 'The Siege' the Excel guide made a mistake by saying there was a scene where Marty wears a flak jacket (for those in the know he only says Stu's suggestion is a great idea) apparently that mistake was repeated throughout students essays...Hundreds and hundreds of times.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
I am not sure about the plagerisim thing but all my own work is compolsory we did at the end of year 10,for all the people that were staying on

stormz89

HSC
I guess I better do the "all my own work soon then"

and I'm not taking ideas directly, its like ideas and expressing them myself. For example in strictly ballroom it talks about diegetic music, in my essay I explained what diegetic meant and related it to film, while the excel book didn't. As far as I know, this isn't plaglarism. It's like paraphasing and using it in different terms. I would just like to know now before I head into the HSC and get a zero or something.

jacqueline-joan

HSC
we had to complete "All my own work" the teachers said it was very important, and had to be done so i'm guessing you should complete it. but i totally agree its very long and also very boring lol.

stormz89

HSC
I just did the all my own work. I already did the first 2 so I just did the last 3.
I feel sorry for the people who have to check that everyone has done it... but its probably done with computers.

It said that using ideas is not plaglarism... as it is not copied word from word
and it also said that using someone else's essay to check how to structure a good essay is not cheating.

BUT what I'm concerned with is that my related material is done as good as my prescribed text. Mainly because I only spent 30mins on it because I just wanted it done.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
Tell your teacher shes retarted.
Everything is 'plagerised' to a certain degree.

Theres only so far a text can be analysed, and with 40 000 kids doing it a year for the last 5+ years, it going to happen, + its good of you to take the studious initiative.

How else do you learn and suceed in the english HSC, have the natural aptitude to break down and individuall analyse a text.

wendus

krawr.
HSC
cannibal.horse said:
btw: Did anyone hear what happened a couple of years ago with Telling the Truth: Frontline? in 'The Siege' the Excel guide made a mistake by saying there was a scene where Marty wears a flak jacket (for those in the know he only says Stu's suggestion is a great idea) apparently that mistake was repeated throughout students essays...Hundreds and hundreds of times.
are you serious? i don't own one of those books but i thought he did wear a flak jacket... didn't he? ):

HSC
wendus said:
are you serious? i don't own one of those books but i thought he did wear a flak jacket... didn't he? ):
Nah-ah. Stu's all like:

Stu: Are you sure you don't want a flak jacket?

and Marty's all like:

Marty: Great idea!

But no flak jacket, that shit is cray-zay.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)