Distinction Courses: Interest and discussion on the proposed cancellation of courses (1 Viewer)

blackglitter

HSC
Re: Distinction Courses

the-derivative said:
I'm trying to get into Philosophy or Cosmo (leaning towards Philosophy).
yeah, i'm still deciding between comp lit and philosophy, leaning towards philosophy too

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC

blackglitter said:
yeah, i'm still deciding between comp lit and philosophy, leaning towards philosophy too
Comparative Literature to me would be crazy. Heard only a small handful (8 or something) people do it every year - so either it's really hard to get in or its really unpopular. Good luck though, hope you get in.

blackglitter

HSC

the-derivative said:
Comparative Literature to me would be crazy. Heard only a small handful (8 or something) people do it every year - so either it's really hard to get in or its really unpopular. Good luck though, hope you get in.
Lol thanks, i THINK it's because its really unpopular but that's just from what i've heard. Good luck to you too =]

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC

blackglitter said:
Lol thanks, i THINK it's because its really unpopular but that's just from what i've heard. Good luck to you too =]
LOL thanks!
Yeah, most people who accelerate a subject don't usually accelerate english, accelerated students probably generally hate english... so that might be why its unpopular.

blackglitter

HSC

the-derivative said:
LOL thanks!
Yeah, most people who accelerate a subject don't usually accelerate english, accelerated students probably generally hate english... so that might be why its unpopular.
haha, im one of the few (really really tiny percentage) of people who actually LIKE english so i can see why. I accelerated in IPT (eww) which has absolutely nothing to do with any of the distinction courses - maybe that's why i can't really choose

akrinis

HSC

How exactly do I accelerate in a subject? I'm in year 10, but I want to do Comparative Literature or Philosophy.

blackglitter

HSC

akrinis said:
How exactly do I accelerate in a subject? I'm in year 10, but I want to do Comparative Literature or Philosophy.
Nice, someone else who wants to do comp lit. I think it depends on your school - they have to offer accelerated courses and you have to get selected for one of those courses by them

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC

akrinis said:
You have to complete the HSC at least a year ahead of your cohort, so you would have to be sitting the HSC either this year or next year for one or more subjects and get a decent mark for it (usually 90+).

addikaye03

The A-Team
HSC

the-derivative said:
LOL thanks!
most students in general hate english not just accel. haha i have to say im apart of it

blackglitter

HSC

the-derivative said:
I don't hate English, but it's probably my least favourite subject.
I hope my english teacher doesn't read this.
Lol, i don't think there's much chance of that =P

eliseliselise

HSC

hiii!

i'm trying out for philosophy!! i'm waiting till the info day to be sure, although i don't think i'll like cosmo, but comp lit is still on the cards! but then if i pick up a distinction course.. ill have to drop chem.. so i cant do med [unless i do an abridging course]... so im not 100% certain yet.

;) they sound awesome though. ohh! have u had a look at the HSC papers?! for philo its just a few essay questions [probably quite hard ones...]!

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

I am leaning towards Cosmology at this moment. Howeve, I have a dreadful tendency to change my mind at the last minute so...I don't know what can actually happen in the end.

At this stage, I am only worried about getting all my accelerated subjects to the level of Band 6/E4 to give me a better chance of acceptance into these courses.

Cosmology will be awesome, by the way.

But I am only worried that I may not be able to keep my motivation ablaze for the rest of my HSC year. If that's the case, I would have just wasted a year doing that course and not making it count towards my UAI (on a positive note).

Would you guys still consider doing it when you are already performing extremely well in other subjects?

blackglitter

HSC

eliseliselise said:
hiii!

i'm trying out for philosophy!! i'm waiting till the info day to be sure, although i don't think i'll like cosmo, but comp lit is still on the cards! but then if i pick up a distinction course.. ill have to drop chem.. so i cant do med [unless i do an abridging course]... so im not 100% certain yet.

;) they sound awesome though. ohh! have u had a look at the HSC papers?! for philo its just a few essay questions [probably quite hard ones...]!
Yay! go us comp lit/philosophy people =] i'm waiting till info day to decide for sure. Yeah, i looked at some of the past papers and philosophy does look easier but i really want to do comp lit.

shaon0

HSC

The thing with Distinction courses are that there are a lot more people accelerating courses that want a Distiction course then are allowable.
Since most of these people will get a Band 6/E4. If you are accelerated you have to ask yourself...will you be accpeted in with a high Band 5? In some cases yes but normally no since Distinction Courses are aimed at GAT sudents.
You should really concentrate on getting Band 6/e4 in courses your accelerated in and not think about it too much or you could not be selected if your marks.
Well, thats my two cents anyways. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)