Distinction Courses: Interest and discussion on the proposed cancellation of courses (1 Viewer)

HSC
Re: Distinction Courses

I thought you just send in an 'expression of interest' form to the BOS (I think that's what happened last year, gauging from the 'HSC Syllbuses' page on the website). They wouldn't send out letters, right, that's seems pretty ineffective...? Has anyone got a letter??

Howev. doesn't seem like they've posted the 2009 info yet. Shame 'cause my school wants all our subjects to be finalised for next year before the yearly's, in like 7 school days :cold:

btw I wanna do cosmo ;)

eliseliselise

HSC

hmmm anyone have any idea of dates for these courses?? the info day is like the week before the maths HSC papers... which is retarded timing!! & does anyone know when these courses start/when we find out if we've been rejected or accepted?? coz year12 starts at the beginning of term 3... and we go to an info day for the distinction courses which are a year 12 subject we havent started yet in the 3rd week of term 4 when we're already in year 12?? aye aye aye... sorry if that's confusing... im quite confused myself!!

sorry if i'm missing something blaringly obvious.. but i need to know whether or not i'm going to have to take up a hobby like knitting to fill in my 3 lines of free periods next year...

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

eliseliselise said:
hmmm anyone have any idea of dates for these courses?? the info day is like the week before the maths HSC papers... which is retarded timing!! & does anyone know when these courses start/when we find out if we've been rejected or accepted?? coz year12 starts at the beginning of term 3... and we go to an info day for the distinction courses which are a year 12 subject we havent started yet in the 3rd week of term 4 when we're already in year 12?? aye aye aye... sorry if that's confusing... im quite confused myself!!

sorry if i'm missing something blaringly obvious.. but i need to know whether or not i'm going to have to take up a hobby like knitting to fill in my 3 lines of free periods next year...

The course starts next year, I think. You don't get to start it next term. You first have to download the expression of interest sheet form the board of studies and hand it to the headmaster for signature and other things. And I am guessing that the letter of rejection/acceptance will probably come out after they look at our HSC results.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC

eliseliselise said:

From my knowledge, we apply after we've started the Year 12 course (Term 4 Year 11 that is) and they'll tell us if we've made it by the end of the Year (because my teacher said usually the school uses the results of the distinction course applicants as an indicator of those who get Band 6s).

I'm hoping I can get a Band 6 so I can get in...

eliseliselise

HSC

aaaaaaaaahhhhh i seeeeeeeee!! thankyou namu and the derivative!! i've sent off my expression of interest and wish we could start it next term coz im going 2 have 3 lines of free periods... so i'm going to have to take up a hobby of sorts... of just immerse myself in my other subjects!!

jaja thankyou!!

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

eliseliselise said:
aaaaaaaaahhhhh i seeeeeeeee!! thankyou namu and the derivative!! i've sent off my expression of interest and wish we could start it next term coz im going 2 have 3 lines of free periods... so i'm going to have to take up a hobby of sorts... of just immerse myself in my other subjects!!

jaja thankyou!!
Already? Damn. I need to get it organised now then...

eliseliselise

HSC

the-derivative said:
Are they out already?

My school hasn't told any of the accelerants about this.

Rage.
we had a whole page dedicated to all 4 of us on the last page of the additional extension subject booklet, so yeah that was nice.

my friend from columbia says that in most countries they have philosophy & cosmology as a kinda 'board-approved' course that anyone can take.. wish it was like that here!!

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC

eliseliselise said:
we had a whole page dedicated to all 4 of us on the last page of the additional extension subject booklet, so yeah that was nice.

my friend from columbia says that in most countries they have philosophy & cosmology as a kinda 'board-approved' course that anyone can take.. wish it was like that here!!
We had the distinction courses in the back of our subject selection booklets - probably so the school can brag that they offer Distinction Courses (even though the Unis run it).

Well technically it is a board endorsed course - just that only accelerants are chosen to sit the course.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

I went to my study coordinator and asked how I could get the signature. I was rather surprised when he didn't know what the distinction course was...

damn...my school is not very popular with this, is it?

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC

lyounamu said:
I went to my study coordinator and asked how I could get the signature. I was rather surprised when he didn't know what the distinction course was...

damn...my school is not very popular with this, is it?
No it's not..
Dunno why though. I mean most schools (I know mine is) would be proud to be able to have students sitting distinction courses and would encourage their students (those who are capable of course) to sit the course.

omniscience

HSC
N/A

the-derivative said:
No it's not..
Dunno why though. I mean most schools (I know mine is) would be proud to be able to have students sitting distinction courses and would encourage their students (those who are capable of course) to sit the course.
Yeah, some schools are just ignorant of that. I wouldn't have known about the course if my brother didn't do it.

My school didn't mention a word about the distinction course.

sabira001

HSC

eliseliselise said:
aaaaaaaaahhhhh i seeeeeeeee!! thankyou namu and the derivative!! i've sent off my expression of interest
Are we supposed to just send off the 2007 form thats on BOS? I think they might have forgotten to take the form off after last year's entries.

I'm thinking about doing Cosmology or Philosophy. Except with philosophy, I love hearing about other's ideas but I'm pretty crap at articulating my own.

And the distance education too. I reckon I'd either spend too much time on it or completely forget.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC

Timothy.Siu said:
prolly philosophy
Cool. Same here!

sabira001 said:
Are we supposed to just send off the 2007 form thats on BOS? I think they might have forgotten to take the form off after last year's entries.

I'm thinking about doing Cosmology or Philosophy. Except with philosophy, I love hearing about other's ideas but I'm pretty crap at articulating my own.

And the distance education too. I reckon I'd either spend too much time on it or completely forget.
I'm pretty sure they have new forms for every year - so you would just submit the 2009 expression of interest form - when it comes out.

Yeah - I think I'd probably completely forget.

jet

Banned
HSC

I want to do cosmology but they are all really appealing. I like english as well as maths so comparative literature would be good, and who doesnt like arguing over humanities blunders for philosophy lol.

joseph.chan.08

HSC

Hey guys

I'm doing the Cosmology Distinction course right now. There has been discussions for the cancellation of the three distinction courses. I'm not sure if this is a board of studies decision or some other issue. Either way it has been on the cutting board since 1998. Its only now that the powers be have decided to act.

For 2009

Comparative Literature is almost certain to go next year. This is because the academics who run it are retiring, and no one is giving up a fight to see it stay alive.

Philosophy is most likely staying for 2009.

Cosmology is iffy, but likely to stay, although it will switch from CSU to UNE.

As for all three courses, they are likely to be cut by 2010.

General information
The information day has been cancelled to my knowledge. This may change, but according to my sources 99% cancelled.

This is the info I have as now. By no means is it final, call the distinction course coordinator if you have queries. Don't quote me please. Its a shame the courses are going.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)