Distinction Courses: Interest and discussion on the proposed cancellation of courses (1 Viewer)

eliseliselise

HSC
Re: Distinction Courses

blackglitter said:
Yay! go us comp lit/philosophy people =] i'm waiting till info day to decide for sure. Yeah, i looked at some of the past papers and philosophy does look easier but i really want to do comp lit.
yay!

lyounamu said:
At this stage, I am only worried about getting all my accelerated subjects to the level of Band 6/E4 to give me a better chance of acceptance into these courses.
join the club!! =.=;

lyounamu said:
Would you guys still consider doing it when you are already performing extremely well in other subjects?
it's a gamble... depends how much faith your career advisor/whoever has in your other subjects, and what would in the end give you the best HSC mark, i suppose. but i have a feeling it would be a gamble worth taking considering you are already mathematically/scientifically minded and i believe cosmo is a crossbreed of the 2?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

eliseliselise said:
yay!

join the club!! =.=;

it's a gamble... depends how much faith your career advisor/whoever has in your other subjects, and what would in the end give you the best HSC mark, i suppose. but i have a feeling it would be a gamble worth taking considering you are already mathematically/scientifically minded and i believe cosmo is a crossbreed of the 2?
It would be a pure lie if I said that I am mathematicall and scientifcally minded. I actually lean towards English in terms of natural talent. Mathematics is just my passion and I am only good at calculating. All the rest is effort. For science, same thing applies.

Anyway, I am not really certain at this point in time. I will have to see how I go. I really hope that I make a right choice and not waste BOS's money. I would feel extremely guilty if I did that...

Last edited:

shaon0

HSC

the-derivative said:
I don't hate English, but it's probably my least favourite subject.
I hope my english teacher doesn't read this.
How did you make ur flsh/animate object...what program did you use?
It looks pretty cool....wat language did you use? WHTML, Javascript?

Last edited:

blackglitter

HSC

lyounamu said:
It would a pure lie if I said that I am mathematicall and scientifcally minded. I actually lean towards English in terms of natural talent. Mathematics is just my passion and I am only good at calculating. All the rest is effort. For science, same thing applies.

Anyway, I am not really certain at this point in time. I will have to see how I go. I really hope that I make a right choice and not waste BOS's money. I would feel extremely guilty if I did that...
You should do what you are passionate about more than what you think you have a talent for because in the end, you will enjoy your favourite subject more and do better in it. I guess im better off than you two right now because I've already finished my accelerated subject and gotten the marks I need, but seriously, you don't need to feel guilty. The BOS will pick you for the course if they believe you have the potential to do well in it and if it will help you in the future. As for picking a distinction course even though you're doing really well in your other school subjects, it is a gamble but one I think is definitely worth making - i've talked to my careers adviser about it and even though im doing really well in my subjects, she thinks that by doing a distinction course it can complement my other subjects and give me the skills I need for studying after uni. Anyways, i hope you get in and good luck in making a decision :)

L

lsam

blackglitter said:
You should do what you are passionate about more than what you think you have a talent for because in the end, you will enjoy your favourite subject more and do better in it. I guess im better off than you two right now because I've already finished my accelerated subject and gotten the marks I need, but seriously, you don't need to feel guilty. The BOS will pick you for the course if they believe you have the potential to do well in it and if it will help you in the future. As for picking a distinction course even though you're doing really well in your other school subjects, it is a gamble but one I think is definitely worth making - i've talked to my careers adviser about it and even though im doing really well in my subjects, she thinks that by doing a distinction course it can complement my other subjects and give me the skills I need for studying after uni. Anyways, i hope you get in and good luck in making a decision :)
Agreed. I am not sure if I am going to do this or not. If I am, I am going for Cosmology with Namu. I guess it's another class with dear old Namu.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

blackglitter said:
Yeah, thanks. I will re-think about that.

To Sam: you liar! You told me you are doing this thing. Don't do this. Just concentrate on what you like. You will ruin my time...(jokes!)

blackglitter

HSC

lyounamu said:
Yeah, thanks. I will re-think about that.

To Sam: you liar! You told me you are doing this thing. Don't do this. Just concentrate on what you like. You will ruin my time...(jokes!)
No probs =], yeah, i sounded sure of myself then but I was so indecisive when I first heard about these courses :p

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

I am actually quite dissapointed that no one is particularly intersted in Cosmology...

Oh well, I guess that makes me special in that regards. :D

blackglitter

HSC

lyounamu said:
I am actually quite dissapointed that no one is particularly intersted in Cosmology...

Oh well, I guess that makes me special in that regards. :D
Special is good :) who wants to be normal anyways lol?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

Does anyone know whether people get such thing as "Band 6" or "E4" in Distinction Courses?

Dr.Chau

Banned
HSC

Without Wings said:
It isn't marked based on the HSC system, i.e. bands etc. As they are run by the university they use the university marking scheme:
Pass
Credit
Distinction
High Distinction
Yo, how do I make my username red?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

Without Wings said:
It isn't marked based on the HSC system, i.e. bands etc. As they are run by the university they use the university marking scheme:
Pass
Credit
Distinction
High Distinction
Thanks. Then what about the Premier's Award for this? Does this get calculated as "Band 6" or "E4" if you get High Distinction?

If it doesn't get counted, it would suck...

freaksoutalot

HSC

im intrested in philosophy, how do you get into these courses?

i mean how do we apply?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

Without Wings said:
Thanks.

But I still don't see if that gets counted as either "Band 6" or "Band E4" when it comes to calculating the number of top bands. It doesn't say in the website.

I better ask the past students for Distinction Courses.

Thanks again for your great help.

freaksoutalot

HSC

so they'll send me a letter to see if im interested?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

freaksoutalot said:
so they'll send me a letter to see if im interested?
Um...no.

You should first be accelerated in a subject and you should have got a good result in that accelerated subject to be selected for the spot at the course. (Band 6 is probably the cut-off if not the high Band 5).

You apply it yourself. As far as I know, they don't just send a letter to everyone so that they can apply if they are interested.

freaksoutalot

HSC

lyounamu said:
Um...no.

You should first be accelerated in a subject and you should have got a good result in that accelerated subject to be selected for the spot at the course. (Band 6 is probably the cut-off if not the high Band 5).

You apply it yourself. As far as I know, they don't just send a letter to everyone so that they can apply if they are interested.
but to quote it, the FAQ said they would send a letter out to all those elligible, mmm. dunno im kind of comfortable with my 9 units i got for next year.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

freaksoutalot said:
but to quote it, the FAQ said they would send a letter out to all those elligible, mmm. dunno im kind of comfortable with my 9 units i got for next year.
I don't think so. I have got tonnes of friends in Year 12 who were accelerated last year who didn't even get a letter.

Anyway, good luck with your decision. 9 Units will be awesome next year but I wouldn't like to miss this opportunity even if I have to sacrifice great proportion of my study time.

VampireGirl

HSC

I'm accelerated in chemistry and hoping to study Comparative Literature.

So does anyone know when the letters are sent out? or when we send them a letter? whichever one it is because i have no idea at the moment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)