Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Testing times: selective schools and tiger parents

HSC

Re: Testing times: selective schools and tiger parents

Quote Originally Posted by kuromusha View Post
    How about you face the facts and instead of kowtowing to political correctness?

This would not be a race issue, if Asians and White were proportionally presented. But it is not, Asians only occupy a minatory status in the population but is the majority in selective high school enrolments. So how is race not a factor?

When a race that is only 7% of a population takes 80% of the enrolment in selective high school, it has to be cultural or genetic.
    Are you actually joking right now? You just addressed all "white people" in your comment, literally. Then you went on to generalise a whole race, that all white people care about is creativity and that won't get them anywhere.

I never even argued any points for you to be saying I should face the facts. Because I know the facts. And I'll tell you right now that it definitely isn't genetic. It's 100% cultural. I bet you.

Maybe others can educate me here, but am I wrong in saying that more asian families have education highly valued and as a very encouraged goal vs. white australians? If so, then that is why people from asian families tend to excel in school.
    2015 HSC: English Adv, Mathematics, Business Studies, Biology, Multimedia.

HSC Biology Flashcards

HSC
    N/A

And cultural is connected to race. Duh, and East Asians race has higher average IQ than both white and black. The sources for IQ and race is everywhere.

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Flop21 View Post
    How about you don't turn this into a race thing? Or generalise a whole race for that matter.

This issue should have nothing to do with race. Every person is their own, and thus has their own parenting style - some people have shitty parenting and others have good.

However I think everyone just needs to chill out and find a balance between being strict, caring and allowing fun. My parents use to be VERY strict as a kid (they are white, and not 'lazy and uncaring'). It was stupid, but they loosened up a bit later on.
    It's actually quite common for new migrants to push their kids harder than those who have lived here. Compare second gen asian australian's v first gen asian australians. Completely different level of expectation. African immigrants in the US outscore every other immigrant group. It's more about an immigrant mentality than anything.

For Asian parents they view that kids in western schools have too much time on their hands, as the education system they know back home is essentially 7am-5pm for primary school kids. It's an adjustment issue.
    Flop21, RecklessRick and Sien like this.

HSC
    N/A

East Asians race has higher average IQ than both white and black. The sources for IQ and race is everywhere.
    never go full retard.
    Kiraken and Sien like this.

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by isildurrrr1 View Post
    African immigrants in the US outscore every other immigrant group. It's more about an immigrant mentality than anything.
    Yeah, right.. source please?!!! I want to read it. I bet it's onionnews.

HSC

Tip: Google

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

HSC
    N/A

Tell that to my friend's family.

Dad works at corning pulling 500k USD a year as a engineering manager. Eldest brother is an engineer at intel and grad' from Sloan school of business (MIT), other brother worked for cornell as director of admissions and now works at stanford in same role, sister is a doctor and my friend works in DC on foreign policy.

Yeah, not outperforming anyone at all really.

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertain...e-blacks/6891/

http://scholar.harvard.edu/files/asa..._etal_2014.pdf

HSC
    N/A

WTF.

No where in your source does it say black/African immigrant out performing other immigrants.

Both articles is about immigrant black vs native American black.

Your previous post said out performing "other immigrant group", not against native American black.

HSC
    N/A

P374 on the harvard article or p 6 on PDF.

Go read it carefully.

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by isildurrrr1 View Post
    P374 on the harvard article or p 6 on PDF.

Go read it carefully.
    Learn how to Harvard Reference a source, than I will read it.

You quote from the source and write it here the exact part you want the us to read to back up your claim. Not ask the audience to through the document, as I have no idea what part you're referencing to.
    Last edited by kuromusha; 11 Sep 2015 at 10:41 PM.

HSC
    N/A

Learn how to Harvard Reference a source, than I will read it.

You quote from the source and write it here the exact part you want the us to read to back up your claim. Not ask the audience to through the document, as I have no idea what part you're referencing to.
    jesus christ its a fucking table. go to page 374 of the article and you'll get your answer and stop being daft. youre the one that claimed 'no where in the source' does it mention it. learn to speed read.

what are you the gestapo of referencing?
    Last edited by isildurrrr1; 12 Sep 2015 at 12:02 PM.

HSC
    N/A

Jesus christ even a quick wiki will get you an answer

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_...rity:_Africans

go verify the sources yourself.

HSC
    N/A

Okay, okay, Africans are the smartest and the most disciplined and dominates every professions around the world. Because every I go, I see black CEO, lawyers, doctors and bankers.

You win.
    Goodbye.

HSC
    N/A

Okay, okay, Africans are the smartest and the most disciplined and dominates every professions around the world. Because every I go, I see black CEO, lawyers, doctors and bankers.

You win.
    Goodbye.
    somebody sad that the asians are the not the master race?

HSC

You win.
    Goodbye.
    sound salty af cuz asians aren't the 'master race'

HSC
    N/A

Never said anything about 'master race', why does it even mean?

This thread is about tiger parenting and Asians majority in selective high.

HSC
    N/A

Pointing out facts =/= racism.

Racism exists when there is an unequal treatment for based on race.

All races in Australia has the same treatment regarding to selective high school entry. Azns just do better than any other race because

1. More parental investment, whether financial or time.

2. Higher average IQ.

Pointing out these facts makes me a racist? If you think so, than I guess you're a liberal fundamentalist.

HSC

All races in Australia has the same treatment regarding to selective high school entry. Azns just do better than any other race because

2. Higher average IQ.

Pointing out these facts makes me a racist? If you think so, than I guess you're a liberal fundamentalist.
    you are clearly looking down on other races, that's already "unequal treatment for based on race". Yea bradah that's racism there.
    As for your 2nd point, asians just tend to be more hardworking which produces results which you admitted yourself in pt1. It doesn't mean they have higher IQ than other races. Do you pull your 'facts' out of your asshole or something?
    you make asians look bad with your shitty patriotic posts

HSC
    N/A

racism
    noun
    the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

2. Higher average IQ.
    Why, in your opinion, do asians have higher IQs? Not a loaded question, genuinely curious. If your answer is that your first point leads to your second point then that's far less contentious than making generic statements which strongly imply that you believe Asians to be naturally intellectually superior.
    Economics (95) | Modern History (98) - State Rank | History Extension (48) | Mathematics Extension 1 (93) | Mathematics Extension 2 (lol) | English Advanced (94) | English Extension 1 (47) | English Extension 2 (50)

"If you aim low enough, you'll never be disappointed"

hit me up for tutoring lol

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Sien View Post
    you are clearly looking down on other races, that's already "unequal treatment for based on race". Yea bradah that's racism there.
    As for your 2nd point, asians just tend to be more hardworking which produces results which you admitted yourself in pt1. It doesn't mean they have higher IQ than other races. Do you pull your 'facts' out of your asshole or something?
    you make asians look bad with your shitty patriotic posts
    No I am not looking down on other race. I am just saying that on average Asians have a higher IQ. And I would never discriminate a person because of their race.

For example, if I am a boss and I two potential employees, the job I have is highly cognitive, one candidate is black and the other one is Asian.

If I dismiss the black candidate simply because he's black, then I'm could be labelled as a racist. If I did research into both candidates, on average, there is higher probability that the Asian candidate would have a better education and/or a higher intelligence. Not because I like Asians better than black. If they both have the same education and intelligence, than both are likely to be employed. Does that make me a racist?

Another example would be, I am a coach of a professional basketball team, I will draft players based on their athletic performance. So my team would most likely to be made up of black players over Asian players. Would this make a racist?

Regarding to race and IQ.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_and_intelligence

They found the highest national IQs among Western and Asian developed nations and the lowest national IQs in the world's least developed nations in Sub-Saharan Africa and Latin America.

J. P. Rushton has argued that Africans on average have smaller brain cases and brains than Europeans, and that this is evidence that the gap is biological in nature.

"Reaction times show that both Chinese and British children are more intelligent than one another".

The few Amerindian populations who have been systematically tested, including Arctic Natives, tend to score worse on average than white populations but better on average than black populations.[47]

Rushton & Jensen (2005) write that, in the United States, self-identified blacks and whites have been the subjects of the greatest number of studies. They state that the black-white IQ difference is about 15 to 18 points

For example, in the United States the average scores of blacks on some IQ tests in 1995 were the same as the scores of whites in 1945.
    Last edited by kuromusha; 12 Sep 2015 at 3:03 PM.

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by RecklessRick View Post
    racism
    noun
    the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

Why, in your opinion, do asians have higher IQs? Not a loaded question, genuinely curious. If your answer is that your first point leads to your second point then that's far less contentious than making generic statements which strongly imply that you believe Asians to be naturally intellectually superior.
    Animals are the result of their genetic and environmental make up.

Difference races have different genetics make up and thus result in bother tangible and intangible characteristics. Whether you regard a characteristic as superior or inferior is up to you.

Eg. In Asian countries, pale skin is preferred, esp in women, while in the West, tanned skin is preferred. Does that Asians and Westerns are racist when it comes to skin colour?
    Last edited by kuromusha; 12 Sep 2015 at 3:12 PM.

HSC
    N/A

In the original article

It's no easier to find clear answers in Australia. The Department of Education & Communities (DEC), which runs the selective-school entrance exam in NSW, does not collect data on coaching, and does not endorse it. Andrew Fielding, the department's director of business systems, and a passionate advocate for selective schools, describes the test as "similar to IQ tests - they're supposed to be tests you can't prepare for. Going to a coaching college doesn't necessarily mean you'll understand them."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/good-weekend/t...#ixzz3lUkgDDAQ
    Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

So, selective high school test is similar to IQ tests, and more Asians are accepted into selective high, therefore Asians score better in these tests that are similar to IQ tests. We can conclude Australias aznz have higher IQ than non anz Australians.

You mad?

HSC
    N/A

It's very well known that IQ tests have a cultural bias towards it and are no way accurate. I wouldn't dispute the dedication and drive of immigrant groups, but you know what impresses me more? Some kid whose from a shit household whose able to achieve academically and still keep up good grades.

A lot of asian kids do have the luxury (due to culture) of not having to work while they attend tertiary studies. You bet your ass it can make a world of difference when juggling a job and uni.

the funny thing is that although asian countries dominate secondary education in ranking, the universties fall very far behind.
    Last edited by isildurrrr1; 12 Sep 2015 at 3:39 PM.

HSC
    N/A

Animals are the result of their genetic and environmental make up.

Difference races have different genetics make up and thus result in bother tangible and intangible characteristics. Whether you regard a characteristic as superior or inferior is up to you.

Eg. In Asian countries, pale skin is preferred, esp in women, while in the West, tanned skin is preferred. Does that Asians and Westerns are racist when it comes to skin colour?
    Hahahaha surely this is just next level trolling
    Economics (95) | Modern History (98) - State Rank | History Extension (48) | Mathematics Extension 1 (93) | Mathematics Extension 2 (lol) | English Advanced (94) | English Extension 1 (47) | English Extension 2 (50)

"If you aim low enough, you'll never be disappointed"

hit me up for tutoring lol

HSC

No I am not looking down on other race. I am just saying that on average Asians have a higher IQ. And I would never discriminate a person because of their race.

For example, if I am a boss and I two potential employees, the job I have is highly cognitive, one candidate is black and the other one is Asian.

If I dismiss the black candidate simply because he's black, then I'm could be labelled as a racist. If I did research into both candidates, on average, there is higher probability that the Asian candidate would have a better education and/or a higher intelligence. Not because I like Asians better than black. If they both have the same education and intelligence, than both are likely to be employed. Does that make me a racist?

Another example would be, I am a coach of a professional basketball team, I will draft players based on their athletic performance. So my team would most likely to be made up of black players over Asian players. Would this make a racist?

Regarding to race and IQ.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_and_intelligence

They found the highest national IQs among Western and Asian developed nations and the lowest national IQs in the world's least developed nations in Sub-Saharan Africa and Latin America.

J. P. Rushton has argued that Africans on average have smaller brain cases and brains than Europeans, and that this is evidence that the gap is biological in nature.

"Reaction times show that both Chinese and British children are more intelligent than one another".

The few Amerindian populations who have been systematically tested, including Arctic Natives, tend to score worse on average than white populations but better on average than black populations.[47]

Rushton & Jensen (2005) write that, in the United States, self-identified blacks and whites have been the subjects of the greatest number of studies. They state that the black-white IQ difference is about 15 to 18 points

For example, in the United States the average scores of blacks on some IQ tests in 1995 were the same as the scores of whites in 1945.
    "They found the highest national IQs among Western and Asian developed nations and the lowest national IQs in the world's least developed nations in Sub-Saharan Africa and Latin America."The fk... Most people don't get an education in 3rd world countries, so it's a given that first world countries score better (and iq tests most likely come from 1st world countries, biased much)Iq tests don't take in account of the examinee's situation, so there's no way these tests are accurate
    In the original article

It's no easier to find clear answers in Australia. The Department of Education & Communities (DEC), which runs the selective-school entrance exam in NSW, does not collect data on coaching, and does not endorse it. Andrew Fielding, the department's director of business systems, and a passionate advocate for selective schools, describes the test as "similar to IQ tests - they're supposed to be tests you can't prepare for. Going to a coaching college doesn't necessarily mean you'll understand them."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/good-weekend/t...#ixzz3lUkgDDAQ
    Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

So, selective high school test is similar to IQ tests, and more Asians are accepted into selective high, therefore Asians score better in these tests that are similar to IQ tests. We can conclude Australias aznz have higher IQ than non anz Australians.

You mad?
    once you do enough practice tests for selective you start to see the patterns in the tests (not sure about the english part tho)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information