Economics- HSC Essay predictions 2015 (1 Viewer)

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Hey everyone,

Here are my economics predictions for 2015. After numerous PMs over the last months, i've finally done it! :lol:

DISCLAIMER:In no way am i stating these questions will be in the HSC exam, they are simply my recommendations on what you should pay particular attention to. Ensure you study for all other topics, there is no shortcut to ensuring a band 6.

These are just MY thoughts on what will be in the exam and an additional resource you can use, I'm not fussed if you have different opinions.

Macroeconomic and Microeconomic policies addressing economic issues- Likely.

• Trend is every 1-2 years and has been for a very long time
• I believe there will be a focus on monetary policy as you can talk about the implications of continually lowering rates (and the diminishing effectiveness of MP in the process)
• A general macro policies question (allowing you to pick either fiscal or monetary) may appear considering they specified fiscal last year
• Was used in CSSA 2015
• I doubt microeconomic policies will be included as it was used in 2014

External stability/Balance of Payments/CAD- Very very very likely

• This is probably the predication I’m most certain on
• Long overdue for an essay question, trend is every 2-3 years and 2015 will be year 3
• Was used as a CSSA 2015 question
• CAD was present in the 2014 independent paper
• Plenty of recent information that can be used including the deterioration of the mining investment boom, china etc

Exchange rates- Very likely

• Trend is every 2-3 years, last used in 2013 so I’m certain it’s either this year or 2016.
• It is a major issue in the Australian economy currently so I’m more leaning towards it being asked this year
• Plenty of information that can be integrated over the last 18 months

Study your hearts out for topic 2 kiddos, I’m certain you’re going to get at least one essay question on it.

International agreements/free trade- potentially

• The trend is for this question to be asked the year after a case study question, so I believe it may be asked
• It is very relevant as you can discuss the importance of Australia establishing a more diverse range of exports to overcome the deterioration of commodities
• China free trade agreement can be used effectively

Environment- Very very very unlikely

• Came up last year, will most probably be a 5 mark short answer question if this content is used again
• Students tend to skip this part of the syllabus so it is a potential ‘curveball’ question

Globalisation/Case Study- very very unlikely

• Case study is unlikely as it was used in 2014,
• I believe it will be used in the short answer questions instead if asked…

I might add to this list in the next few days, depends how i feel...

Last edited:

Ekman

HSC
Well I guess we can all agree that BOP is a definite essay question, even the master essay predictor says that it is very very VERY likely

edwardjoh2

HSC
What about cause and effect of growth this has been in quite a few schools trials?

Will_97

HSC
"Macroeconomic policies addressing - Likely."
Could any of you guys give me some example essay questions for this?

Last edited:

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
"Macroeconomic policies addressing - Likely."
Could any of you guys give me some example essay questions for this?
This just me realise i made a mistake. It should be "Macroeconomic policies addressing economic issues"

In regards to providing questions, i'm not going to spoonfeed anyone here, all the questions are accessible on the BOS website via the past papers.

Flop21

HSC
Can you do one for business... please :D ??

sida1049

HSC
Plot twist: the HSC committee has decided to stimulate the unpredictability of the global economy by asking the exact same essay questions as last year's.

In all seriousness, thanks OP for the great overview. There seems to be a question regarding microeconomic policy, or macroeconomic policy, or both, nearly every year. While labour market policy was asked last year, then haven't seemed to asked the more broad independent supply-side policy questions for the last 4 years.

Last edited:

iStudent

HSC
Also, watch out for the *out of nowhere* topic 3 questions (much like last year's inflation question). They did it 2 years ago for unemployment. They're not hard to prepare for (and you should know them well anyway) so study those just to be safe (you can skip inflation though).

Yea eco growth is one I'd look out for (it might be tied in with macro policy, but you never know!) :)

Gabriel Moussa

HSC
I would also consider prepping:

Assess the impacts of Globalisation on inequality in the global economy.

There's a whole chapter in it in the dixon textbook and it hasn't really been asked before. Thoughts?

Ekman

HSC

There's a whole chapter in it in the dixon textbook and it hasn't really been asked before. Thoughts?
Never saw it in a trial or hsc exam as an essay question, but I have seen it been asked as a 4-5 marker in previous trials.

Flop21

HSC
I think that's rather difficult to pinpoint as there are no real trends, especially since the new syllabus in 2012.
great, another reason why business sucks

teridax

HSC
N/A

i highly doubt this will be asked tbh; income inequality was assessed last year

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)