If you can get rank 1 , there a point going all out? (1 Viewer)

hassanelias

HSC
As question say because i go to rubbish school (ranked 500: Giraween) , is there a point going all out for a subject you can get rank 1 in , ex i only need 70 in trial to maintain rank 1 , is their point going for 90 in trials etc?

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
It's not a bad idea... at least it gives you an idea of the level of study you'll need to do for the HSC.
I didn't go all out for my subjects in trials and as a result I didn't get the ranks I could otherwise have achieved.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Even though you might have secured the first rank, try putting your maximum effort during the trials so that its a practice for the external HSC exams.

Rainie

HSC
You should maximise your marks as much as possible. It just gives you extra practice and sort of an idea how the HSC exams are going to be like. If you can improve, why not? It gives you an edge over other students.

My two cents :p

LordPc

HSC
true what these guys say, gives you a practice run for HSC but furthermore, you want to distance yourself from who ever is ranked 2nd at your school. that way if you perform below your potential in the HSC, your school marks will tell the Board that you are better than that and it will bump your mark up, more so than if you just barely got 1st place.

its much better to get 1st place by 20 marks then to get 1st place by 1 mark. it may have an impact down the line

joben

HSC
try your best man. BTW, isnt giraween a selective school?? why is it rank 500th??

dp624

HSC
well you don't *have to*
but if you save time on trying for a 90 to get a 70, which you can use for another subject to jump ranks, then why not?

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
wixxy2348 said:
OP is either a nob or a troll or both.
Neither.

Go for it Hassan ;). It's good practice, especially for the externals, where you can benchmark your performance against your cohort and your subjects (e.g. what subject you need to concentrate on more -> the lower mark/rank) etc.

All the best :D

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Exactly, Giraween is one of the state's strong performing schools, I mean it is academically selective.

Being helpful, you should still try and improve your marks because they will also align your Internal mark according to your performance and your cohort performance - so if your cohort did perform poorly, if there was a significant difference in marks, you wouldn't fall victim to the moderation.

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
hassanelias said:
As question say because i go to rubbish school (ranked 500: Giraween) , is there a point going all out for a subject you can get rank 1 in , ex i only need 70 in trial to maintain rank 1 , is their point going for 90 in trials etc?
there's no point, you gotta conserve your brain cells for teh actual hsc exam lol

eggy91

HSC
yeah do the best to your ability so you don't regret it down the track if you somehow miss the UAI you desire.

On an unrelated note can someone tell me what makes a person a "troll" because lately i've seen it being said a few times.

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
Pussycat? Is that the best you can do? Omgosh so offensive.

eggy91,
Wikipedia said:
An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the intention of provoking other users into an emotional response[1] or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.
In this case, troll factor became apparent when the OP 'forgot' the name of his school.

Sayangliss

HSC
Of course there is a point, just to show off. And maybe motivate your cohort into trying a bit harder.. if you're the humanitarian type.. don't have to of course. =]
The alternate is you pull so far away from your cohort that they just surrender and you retain #1 whilst cruising.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
This is a stupid question. Yes there is a point.

At the end, in HSC, you are competing with everyone doing the course.

But really it depends on the definition of "going all out" really.

micuzzo

HSC
hang on a second.... does this mean that rank is more important than marks>>> i know rank is important but say if you are ranked first in your school but ur marks are like in the 60s can you still get a good uai of like 89+???

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
micuzzo said:
hang on a second.... does this mean that rank is more important than marks>>> i know rank is important but say if you are ranked first in your school but ur marks are like in the 60s can you still get a good uai of like 89+???
Rank > marks

Think about it. All schools have different exam standards. Therefore, schools reporting to BOS about how good/bad you guys are in terms of marks is meaningless.

However, on the other hand, rank is very important. Look at this example:

School A:
  1. Jane 100 at school AND 60 in HSC
  2. Jim 90 at school AND 70 in HSC
  3. Jack 80 at school AND 40 in HSC
School B:
  1. Mary 80 at school AND 100 IN HSC
  2. Maria 70 at school AND 80 IN HSC
  3. Matt 60 at school AND 90 IN HSC.
School A:
Now they fix your internal marks in accordance with your HSC marks.
Jane from school A gets 70 for her internal mark instead of 100 because 70 was the TOP HSC MARK from her own school. And he keeps her 60 for HSC mark. So she gets 65.

Jim from school A gets 60 for his internal mark instead of 90 because 60 was the second top hsc mark from his own school. And he keeps his 70 for HSC. So he gets 65 also

Guess what would happen to Jack

School B:
Mary gets 100 for her internal mark instead of 80 because 100 was the top HSC mark from her own school. She keeps her 100 as her external mark. So she gets 100.

Guess what would happen to others.

P.S. Excuse my examples of names. If they belong to you, I didn't mean it. And about sexism issue that others might have with this, I balanced everything out. So please forgive me if you have any issues. :angel:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)