If you can get rank 1 , there a point going all out? (1 Viewer)

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
for a second I was worried someone was badmouthing my school calling it ranked 500!!! haha

micuzzo

HSC
lyounamu said:
Rank > marks

Think about it. All schools have different exam standards. Therefore, schools reporting to BOS about how good/bad you guys are in terms of marks is meaningless.

However, on the other hand, rank is very important. Look at this example:

School A:
  1. Jane 100 at school AND 60 in HSC
  2. Jim 90 at school AND 70 in HSC
  3. Jack 80 at school AND 40 in HSC
School B:
  1. Mary 80 at school AND 100 IN HSC
  2. Maria 70 at school AND 80 IN HSC
  3. Matt 60 at school AND 90 IN HSC.
School A:
Now they fix your internal marks in accordance with your HSC marks.
Jane from school A gets 70 for her internal mark instead of 100 because 70 was the TOP HSC MARK from her own school. And he keeps her 60 for HSC mark. So she gets 65.

Jim from school A gets 60 for his internal mark instead of 90 because 60 was the second top hsc mark from his own school. And he keeps his 70 for HSC. So he gets 65 also

Guess what would happen to Jack

School B:
Mary gets 100 for her internal mark instead of 80 because 100 was the top HSC mark from her own school. She keeps her 100 as her external mark. So she gets 100.

Guess what would happen to others.

P.S. Excuse my examples of names. If they belong to you, I didn't mean it. And about sexism issue that others might have with this, I balanced everything out. So please forgive me if you have any issues. :angel:
Ok thanks for that no I understand... but when you say internal mark, you mean the yearly mark the school gives you in the subject right??

>>>I really dont know if this stupid system is fair...

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
micuzzo said:
Ok thanks for that no I understand... but when you say internal mark, you mean the yearly mark the school gives you in the subject right??

>>>I really dont know if this stupid system is fair...
Internal marks = school results.

Why isn't it fair? I mean, I reckon it's quite on the money.

Think about it, some schools have these exams which are ridiculously hard. So if someone got 60 and came first, should he/she get restricted by what she/he got at school despite doing exceptionally well in HSC?

Ok, I will confess. My school makes bloody easy exams. So like 11 people got like 100% in the first exam. Does that mean that we have all these people who should get 100% in HSC? I don't think so.

micuzzo

HSC
^^ i know what you mean..BUT>> say if im ranked first and go to a really crappy school, i have a bad day in HSC and every1 else's mark is crap too... then what??? i get a crap hsc mark

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
micuzzo said:
^^ i know what you mean..BUT>> say if im ranked first and go to a really crappy school, i have a bad day in HSC and every1 else's mark is crap too... then what??? i get a crap hsc mark
you get what you deserve.

if you're first in a shit school and your cohort's max mark is 60, then you deserve a 60 internally

micuzzo

HSC
tommykins said:
you get what you deserve.

if you're first in a shit school and your cohort's max mark is 60, then you deserve a 60 internally
thats not true...there are students who are very acedemically gifted that go to schools that have a cohort that isnt... then what... do they deserve a crap mark..not at all!

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
micuzzo said:
thats not true...there are students who are very acedemically gifted that go to schools that have a cohort that isnt... then what... do they deserve a crap mark..not at all!
Look at my example again. If you are first, you are first. You get what you deserve.

Let's say you got 100 at your school. Then if you get 100 in HSC, you get 100! You don't take anyone's mark into account in that way.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
then yes there is a point (someone correct me please)

as has been discussed these few days,

say if ur first and get 100% internal and 2nd dude gets like 60% internal school marks and the rest like 50's...

then the first guy screws up in the hsc and say gets 80 the 2nd guy gets 85 3rd gets 83, 4th 82. etc.
the first guy wud get more than 85?(i'm really confused about this)

micuzzo

HSC
lyounamu said:
Look at my example again. If you are first, you are first. You get what you deserve.

Let's say you got 100 at your school. Then if you get 100 in HSC, you get 100! You don't take anyone's mark into account in that way.
im saying if you go bad in externals... ie get 100 internal, 50 in external and every 1 else is significantly lower than you in both internals and externals... like 40s and 50s

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Timothy.Siu said:
then yes there is a point (someone correct me please)

as has been discussed these few days,

say if ur first and get 100% internal and 2nd dude gets like 60% internal school marks and the rest like 50's...

then the first guy screws up in the hsc and say gets 80 the 2nd guy gets 85 3rd gets 83, 4th 82. etc.
the first guy wud get more than 85?(i'm really confused about this)
Ah yeah. That happens if the first gets some ridiculously low mark compared to what was predicted

micuzzo

HSC
tommykins said:
then you get 50...its what u deserve.
well i disagree.. its not what you deserve.. its what some stupid system says you deserve.. though i understand your reasoning.. but its just that there are ppl out there who may be wothy of good high marks and cannot achieve them because of their school cohort..(and no these people may not be able to move school either)

lol ive hyjacked the thread

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
micuzzo said:
well i disagree.. its not what you deserve.. its what some stupid system says you deserve.. though i understand your reasoning.. but its just that there are ppl out there who may be wothy of good high marks and cannot achieve them because of their school cohort..(and no these people may not be able to move school either)

No, they can't achieve it because of themselves or a stroke of bad luck (even then, no 'bad luck' can effect you THAT significant to the point where ur 'potential' 95 in 4unit becomes a 70).

The system is fair, seeing as 50% is from all-round year work and 50% is from the final HSC exam, that is completely fair.

What would you propose? 100% of the HSC Mark coming from the final HSC exam? If anything that's more unfair.

dp624

HSC
micuzzo said:

nah not really
firstly there's things which compensate for anomalous external performance

and to be honest, if you screw up, then it's sorta your fault really. that's the risk you take by going to a lower-ranked school: it's easier to top internally, but if you screw up, *boom*

LordPc

HSC
the guy who came 1st internally will get the top mark in that case Timothy because throughout the year he has shown that he is the best and in the HSC he just had an off day, so his mark will be bumped up. IMO he will get 84 or 85 in your situation and everyone else will get slightly worse marks to compensate

internal marks rank you among your peers at school. The HSC is a tool to rank people at different school. For example if you go to Ruse and get 50/100 for your internal maths 2u mark. but that is just comparing you to the other people at Ruse. If you went to a lesser school, like ranked 300, that 50/100 at ruse may be 99/100 at the lesser school. This is what the HSC is trying to determine. Its trying to compare the internal marks across the state

and that is why you want to go all out, even if your already 1st because the more you distance yourself now, the more you will be distanced during the HSC, even if you perform badly

Also keep in mind if you go average now and get 1st, then you go hardout just before HSC, the extra marks you pick up in the HSC exam will partially go to the other students because you went hard out too late for the school to notice so the BoS will think you just got lucky and take marks off you and give them to other students who underperformed

and no offense lyounamu but since you havent done your HSC yet, Im not entirely sure you should be giving out hardcore advice IMHO

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
LordPc said:
the guy who came 1st internally will get the top mark in that case Timothy because throughout the year he has shown that he is the best and in the HSC he just had an off day, so his mark will be bumped up. IMO he will get 84 or 85 in your situation and everyone else will get slightly worse marks to compensate

internal marks rank you among your peers at school. The HSC is a tool to rank people at different school. For example if you go to Ruse and get 50/100 for your internal maths 2u mark. but that is just comparing you to the other people at Ruse. If you went to a lesser school, like ranked 300, that 50/100 at ruse may be 99/100 at the lesser school. This is what the HSC is trying to determine. Its trying to compare the internal marks across the state

and that is why you want to go all out, even if your already 1st because the more you distance yourself now, the more you will be distanced during the HSC, even if you perform badly

Also keep in mind if you go average now and get 1st, then you go hardout just before HSC, the extra marks you pick up in the HSC exam will partially go to the other students because you went hard out too late for the school to notice so the BoS will think you just got lucky and take marks off you and give them to other students who underperformed

and no offense lyounamu but since you havent done your HSC yet, Im not entirely sure you should be giving out hardcore advice IMHO
Um, im pretty sure hes already done at least two hsc exams and he knows the system better than most....

hassanelias

HSC
lyounamu said:
This is a stupid question.
Please, i was newb now i know , there is no such thing as stupid question , stupid people yes.

As for school name i forget because i apply for both school.

ok thank you everyone

micuzzo

HSC
tommykins said:
No, they can't achieve it because of themselves or a stroke of bad luck (even then, no 'bad luck' can effect you THAT significant to the point where ur 'potential' 95 in 4unit becomes a 70).

The system is fair, seeing as 50% is from all-round year work and 50% is from the final HSC exam, that is completely fair.

What would you propose? 100% of the HSC Mark coming from the final HSC exam? If anything that's more unfair.
im not necessarily proposing anything,rather, mearly pondering upon the idea that the system may not be fair to all...

i just wonder if it would be better(which it may not) if all this stuff was removed and your mark was the one u got for your final exam ie HSC without scaling and aligning... thus u recieve your raw mark and thats it... then you can say for sure this is what i deserved bcoz i studied and tried hard and not this is what i got, however i may not have necessarily deserved it.

as i said earlier this may not be the best idea but maybe it could be better...obviously it would change what is defined as doing well but hey u never no

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
micuzzo said:
im not necessarily proposing anything,rather, mearly pondering upon the idea that the system may not be fair to all...

i just wonder if it would be better(which it may not) if all this stuff was removed and your mark was the one u got for your final exam ie HSC without scaling and aligning... thus u recieve your raw mark and thats it... then you can say for sure this is what i deserved bcoz i studied and tried hard and not this is what i got, however i may not have necessarily deserved it.

as i said earlier this may not be the best idea but maybe it could be better...obviously it would change what is defined as doing well but hey u never no
That's what's not fair.

Think about it. Your whole UAI depends on that single HSC. Imagine getting sick or something during that time. Then how would you go through HSC? Doing internal exam has a lot of purposes in it. And this is one of the reason: you can use your internal result to estimate what you should/could have got if you did HSC under normal situation.

dp624

HSC
micuzzo said:

Nah, no way it'd be better.

So you propose that for the entire year your performance (12 years' worth of it) is based upon ONE assessment
that's nowhere near fair

also, raw marks are arguably much easier to get for certain subjects. there'd be no point doing 4u maths etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)