If you can get rank 1 , there a point going all out? (2 Viewers)

micuzzo

HSC
lyounamu said:
That's what's not fair.

Think about it. Your whole UAI depends on that single HSC. Imagine getting sick or something during that time. Then how would you go through HSC? Doing internal exam has a lot of purposes in it. And this is one of the reason: you can use your internal result to estimate what you should/could have got if you did HSC under normal situation.
well obviously there would be buffers if you got sick... well i dunno its just a thought..

oh i never answered thread question:>>>
you need good marks to get a good rank, thus u should try hard...

My 2 cents....

Good night and God Speed

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
micuzzo said:
im not necessarily proposing anything,rather, mearly pondering upon the idea that the system may not be fair to all...

i just wonder if it would be better(which it may not) if all this stuff was removed and your mark was the one u got for your final exam ie HSC without scaling and aligning... thus u recieve your raw mark and thats it... then you can say for sure this is what i deserved bcoz i studied and tried hard and not this is what i got, however i may not have necessarily deserved it.

as i said earlier this may not be the best idea but maybe it could be better...obviously it would change what is defined as doing well but hey u never no
I hereby won't bother with you as you seem to believe a raw mark means something.

Newsflash sunshine, if you did an exam with 60,000 students and 59,999 of them got 100% whereas you got 99% raw. - you're shit.

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
micuzzo said:
im not necessarily proposing anything,rather, mearly pondering upon the idea that the system may not be fair to all...

i just wonder if it would be better(which it may not) if all this stuff was removed and your mark was the one u got for your final exam
Well you do, you still receive your exam mark however your assessment mark is the one that changes according to if you have an on or off day.

Say I ranked internally 1st but did poorly in the HSC exam I would still receive my poor exam mark which corresponds to 50% of my overall HSC mark however the top examination mark would become my assessment mark.

I think the system is great, it allows students who perform well in assignments a chance to gain top marks internally and it also takes off the pressure slightly making the HSC an all year effort, rather than 3 hours.

micuzzo

HSC
dp624 said:
Nah, no way it'd be better.

So you propose that for the entire year your performance (12 years' worth of it) is based upon ONE assessment
that's nowhere near fair

also, raw marks are arguably much easier to get for certain subjects. there'd be no point doing 4u maths etc.
well i dont mean 1 exam only... more like a series of exams with some being interviews... see in europe they have oral exams( i dont no if they use scaling and all that) where the sit u down and ask u what u've learnt... im not saying that i wanna do that its just as i said a thought...

micuzzo

HSC
tommykins said:
I hereby won't bother with you as you seem to believe a raw mark means something.

Newsflash sunshine, if you did an exam with 60,000 students and 59,999 of them got 100% whereas you got 99% raw. - you're shit.

settle down buddy... i just it was a thought... we are all entitled to our own opinions... to start with i did say 'I really dont know if this stupid system is fair' i did not say that i think it isnt (ok maybe stupid is a strong word)... now after some debate i understand it a bit better and am leaning to say that it is fair..BUT what ive said about raw marks, as reitterated constantly, is just a thought.. no more... im not saying i wanna be prime minister and change it... i see your reeasoning and i respect it...however i may hav my own opinions which u may not like<<-- but its only an idea..lol and of course raw mark means somethong... wont it b one of the first things to determine your scaled mark

Last edited:

singh.with.me

HSC
and to be honest, if you screw up, then it's sorta your fault really. that's the risk you take by going to a lower-ranked school: it's easier to top internally, but if you screw up, *boom*
and i would like to take this oppurtunity to cry.

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
micuzzo said:
well i dont mean 1 exam only... more like a series of exams with some being interviews... see in europe they have oral exams( i dont no if they use scaling and all that) where the sit u down and ask u what u've learnt... im not saying that i wanna do that its just as i said a thought...
Wouldn't that lead to a complete overhaul of the NSW syllabus, it sounds rather pointless to me.

On top of that we already do have a series of assessments rather than exams to assess the capabilities of students, that way students who are better at assignments/ research tasks/ prepared speeches can gain higher ranks internally instead of basing assessments sorely on exams.

micuzzo

HSC
Sarah182 said:
Wouldn't that lead to a complete overhaul of the NSW syllabus,
yes

Sarah182 said:
it sounds rather pointless to me.
no, if your gonna change the system u gotta do it properly

Sarah182 said:
On top of that we already do have a series of assessments rather than exams to assess the capabilities of students, that way students who are better at assignments/ research tasks/ prepared speeches can gain higher ranks internally instead of basing assessments sorely on exams.
It was just a thought...

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
LordPc said:
Also keep in mind if you go average now and get 1st, then you go hardout just before HSC, the extra marks you pick up in the HSC exam will partially go to the other students because you went hard out too late for the school to notice so the BoS will think you just got lucky and take marks off you and give them to other students who underperformed
That isn't true at all.

If you're ranked absolute first, it's not possible for anyone to 'steal' your marks.

Sure, the others will be moderated upwards because your performance on the exam shows that your class was better than your school thought it was, but you don't lose any marks.

There was nothing wrong with what was said by Lyounamu.

You can model the moderating process yourself here.

micuzzo said:
lol and of course raw mark means somethong... wont it b one of the first things to determine your scaled mark
Raw marks show your position relative to other students, and they show how you've performed on one exam paper, and that's all.

You can't use them for anything else - including adding them to other raw marks or to rank students who have taken different courses. (See explanation here.)

dp624

HSC
well, your thoughts annoy me
lol

with regards to the system - i think it's very good. you're not really disadvantaged in many ways at all. look, at the end of the day, the bulk of your marks are going to come from what YOU do. and that's what counts.

micuzzo

HSC
dp624 said:
well, your thoughts annoy me
lol

with regards to the system - i think it's very good. you're not really disadvantaged in many ways at all. look, at the end of the day, the bulk of your marks are going to come from what YOU do. and that's what counts.
fair enough..though i didnt mean to offend lol

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
micuzzo said:
fair enough..though i didnt mean to offend lol
Seriously, don't worry. If it really was an unfair system, even the most stupid gov (i.e. ree's gov) would have fixed the system.

Oh wait...they didn't fix their goddamn arrogant attitudes about disclosing info about marking/hsc result release procedures...

dp624

HSC
lyounamu said:
Seriously, don't worry. If it really was an unfair system, even the most stupid gov (i.e. ree's gov) would have fixed the system.

Oh wait...they didn't fix their goddamn arrogant attitudes about disclosing info about marking/hsc result release procedures...
Yeah, that and the thing I raised about Distinction courses
not that they'll be around for much longer... ah well

micuzzo

HSC
lyounamu said:
well i dont think its unfair.. i was just wondering if it would be better... it was a general thought...lol... didnt expect such an uproar lol:ninja:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
dp624 said:
Yeah, that and the thing I raised about Distinction courses
not that they'll be around for much longer... ah well
Oh, we will probably fight against ree's gov about the distinciton course too (espeically about the potential removal of it which is VERY likely at this current situation).

It's pretty pathetic of ree's gov not to spend some more cents for our education.

@micuzzo: of course it can get better. You know, anything can always get better...but it's just too hard to make it "better"

micuzzo

HSC
^lol 1+

ps... woh u have more than 7000 posts...scary( in a good way)

micuzzo

HSC
okay i have another question...
say if there are two students X and Y.
In school, student X is ranked first and has a mark of 91, student Y is ranked second and has a mark of 89.... they do their hsc in the subject and student X gets 71 while student Y gets 92... what happens to their marks?

dp624

HSC
Y gets 92 external and ~90 internal
X gets 71 external and 92 internal

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)