Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
The list of nominees is out. Discuss.

List of nominees

BY ASSOCIATED PRESS / January 31, 2006

Printer-friendly »
E-mail this to a friend »

List of the 78th annual Oscar nominations announced Tuesday in Beverly Hills, Calif., by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences:

Best Picture:
"Brokeback Mountain"
"Capote"
"Crash"
"Good Night, and Good Luck"
"Munich"

Actor:
Philip Seymour Hoffman, "Capote"
Terrence Howard, "Hustle & Flow"
Heath Ledger, "Brokeback Mountain"
Joaquin Phoenix, "Walk the Line"
David Strathairn, "Good Night, and Good Luck."

Actress:
Judi Dench, "Mrs. Henderson Presents"
Felicity Huffman, "Transamerica"
Keira Knightley, "Pride & Prejudice"
Charlize Theron, "North Country"
Reese Witherspoon, "Walk the Line"

Supporting Actor:
George Clooney, "Syriana"
Matt Dillon, "Crash"
Paul Giamatti, "Cinderella Man"
Jake Gyllenhaal, "Brokeback Mountain"
William Hurt, "A History of Violence"

Supporting Actress:
Amy Adams, "Junebug"
Catherine Keener, "Capote"
Frances McDormand, "North Country"
Rachel Weisz, "The Constant Gardener"
Michelle Williams, "Brokeback Mountain"

Director:
Ang Lee, "Brokeback Mountain"
Bennett Miller, "Capote"
Paul Haggis, "Crash"
George Clooney, "Good Night, and Good Luck."
Steven Spielberg, "Munich"

Foreign Film:
"Don't Tell," Italy
"Joyeux Noel," France
"Paradise Now," Palestine
"Sophie Scholl - The Final Days," Germany
"Tsotsi," South Africa.

Adapted Screenplay:
Larry McMurtry & Diana Ossana, "Brokeback Mountain"
Dan Futterman, "Capote"
Jeffrey Caine, "The Constant Gardener"
Josh Olson, "A History of Violence"
Tony Kushner and Eric Roth, "Munich"

Original Screenplay:
Paul Haggis & Bobby Moresco, "Crash"
George Clooney & Grant Heslov, "Good Night, and Good Luck"
Woody Allen, "Match Point"
Noah Baumbach, "The Squid and the Whale"
Stephen Gaghan, "Syriana"

Animated Feature Film:
"Howl's Moving Castle"
Tim Burton's "Corpse Bride"
"Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit"

Art Direction:
"Good Night, and Good Luck."
"Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire"
"King Kong"
"Memoirs of a Geisha"
"Pride & Prejudice"

Cinematography:
"Batman Begins"
"Brokeback Mountain"
"Memoirs of a Geisha"
"The New World"

Sound Mixing:
"The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe"
"King Kong"
"Memoirs of a Geisha"
"Walk the Line"
"War of the Worlds"

Sound Editing:
"King Kong"
"Memoirs of a Geisha"
"War of the Worlds"

Original Score:
"Brokeback Mountain," Gustavo Santaolalla
"The Constant Gardener," Alberto Iglesias
"Memoirs of a Geisha," John Williams
"Munich," John Williams
"Pride & Prejudice," Dario Marianelli

Original Song:
"In the Deep" from "Crash," Kathleen 'Bird' York and Michael Becker
"It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp" from "Hustle & Flow," Jordan Houston, Cedric Coleman and Paul Beauregard
"Travelin' Thru" from "Transamerica," Dolly Parton

Costume:
"Charlie and the Chocolate Factory"
"Memoirs of a Geisha"
"Mrs. Henderson Presents"
"Pride & Prejudice"
"Walk the Line"

Documentary Feature:
"Darwin's Nightmare"
"Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room"
"March of the Penguins"
"Murderball"
"Street Fight"

Documentary (short subject):
"The Death of Kevin Carter: Casualty of the Bang Bang Club"
"God Sleeps in Rwanda"
"The Mushroom Club"
"A Note of Triumph: The Golden Age of Norman Corwin"

Film Editing:
"Cinderella Man"
"The Constant Gardener"
"Crash"
"Munich"
"Walk the Line"

Makeup:
"Cinderella Man"
"Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith"

Animated Short Film:
"Badgered"
"The Moon and the Son: An Imagined Conversation"
"The Mysterious Geographic Explorations of Jasper Morello"
"9"
"One Man Band"

Live Action Short Film:
"Ausreisser (The Runaway)"
"Cashback"
"The Last Farm"
"Our Time Is Up"
"Six Shooter"

Visual Effects:
"King Kong"
"War of the Worlds"
____

Academy Award winners previously announced this year:
Honorary Award (Oscar statuette): Robert Altman.
The Gordon E. Sawyer award (Oscar statuette): Gary Demos

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Well no, since almost all of those movies were released in America in 2005. There are a couple (Transamerica and The New World) that might've been released in early 2006, but they qualify as 2005 movies nonetheless.

nwatts

HSC
Yes but the ceremony is in 2006, hence 2006 oscars. ;)

A few things - I wanted Murray to be nominated for Broken Flowers, shame he wasn't. Johannson wasn't nominated for best actress/supporting. Match Point was only nominated for one award (!). Crash was nominated for too much - I realise it's popular but really it's woeful. No Charlie & Chocolate Factory for art direction? That is a film born to win an art direction award. No Malick for best director (New World). He's probably one of the greatest living directors. Damn the academy - they did the same to kubrick/scorsese.

Best animated feature- that's a damn hard ask. They're three very fine films. I'd go for Wallace and Gromit probably but damn Howl's is good (but still a far cry from miyazaki's earlier efforts).

Meh, I'm not impressed. I just hope Hoffman wins. He doesn't get enough recognision, and he's one of the world's finest actors. That's the only award i'm particularly passionate about - however there are a number of big runners i haven't seen yet- Brokeback, Walk the Line, Goodnight/Goodluck, etc..

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
I'm sure Hoffman will win. Neither Phoenix's nor Ledgers' performances come anywhere close. It's the best performance I've seen in years. Anyway, I don't think Bill Murray will ever win best actor. He should've been at least nominated this year to make up for not winning it for LiT (and the Academy is notorious for make up awards), but no nomination suggests to me that he's just not the Academy's idea of a best actor winner.

Overall, barring the nomination of Crash at the expense of Match Point, I think the Academy did a pretty good job this year. Broken Flowers, for all its BOS love, just didn't get the momentum it needed for any nominations.

You've seen Match Point then Nick? What did you think?

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
having just seen "walk the line", i have to say that it would be an absolute travesty if reese witherspoon does not win the best actress oscar. she carried that movie and her performance was outstanding. as much as i love judi dench, witherspoon will be a shoe in. its good really because i personally thought she should have won an oscar for her tracy flick.

icecreamdisco

HSC
AlleyCat said:
having just seen "walk the line", i have to say that it would be an absolute travesty if reese witherspoon does not win the best actress oscar. she carried that movie and her performance was outstanding.
agreed, though i didn't care much for the movie. and whilst dench was one of the few good things about the otherwise mediocre mrs. henderson presents, but she can do that role in her sleep.

and where was naomi watts' nod for king kong? i mean, if she can get in for her blech work in the equally blech 21 grams, then surely she can get in this year for the best blue-screen performance ever given. and she was snubbed majorly for mulholland drive in 2002, which is the best performance of thge decade IMO. oh well.

joseph gordon-levitt was snubbed for mysterious skin, though the film had no chance in hell at making it anywhere near the oscars.

my predictions of who will win vs. who i wanna see win, leaving out the short film categories cos they suck.

Best Picture:
"Brokeback Mountain"
"Capote"
"Crash"
"Munich"

Actor:
Philip Seymour Hoffman, "Capote"

Actress:

Supporting Actor:
Matt Dillon, "Crash"

Supporting Actress:
Amy Adams, "Junebug" (h/s, but would most likely be my choice given the raves she's received)

Director:
Bennett Miller, "Capote"
Paul Haggis, "Crash"

Foreign Film:
"Don't Tell," Italy
"Joyeux Noel," France
"Paradise Now," Palestine
"Sophie Scholl - The Final Days," Germany
"Tsotsi," South Africa. (h/s any of these, but i'm looking forward to this one most)

Adapted Screenplay:
Larry McMurtry & Diana Ossana, "Brokeback Mountain"
Dan Futterman, "Capote"
Jeffrey Caine, "The Constant Gardener"
Josh Olson, "A History of Violence"
Tony Kushner and Eric Roth, "Munich"

Original Screenplay:
Paul Haggis & Bobby Moresco, "Crash"
George Clooney & Grant Heslov, "Good Night, and Good Luck"
Woody Allen, "Match Point"
Noah Baumbach, "The Squid and the Whale"
Stephen Gaghan, "Syriana"

Animated Feature Film:
"Howl's Moving Castle"

Art Direction:
"King Kong"
"Memoirs of a Geisha"
"Pride & Prejudice"

Cinematography:
"Batman Begins"
"Brokeback Mountain"
"Memoirs of a Geisha"
"The New World"

Sound Mixing:
"King Kong"
"Memoirs of a Geisha"
"Walk the Line"
"War of the Worlds"

Sound Editing:
"King Kong"
"Memoirs of a Geisha"
"War of the Worlds"

Original Score:
"Munich," John Williams

Original Song:
"It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp" from "Hustle & Flow," Jordan Houston, Cedric Coleman and Paul Beauregard

Costume:
"Memoirs of a Geisha"
"Pride & Prejudice"
"Walk the Line"

Documentary Feature:
"Darwin's Nightmare"
"Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room"
"March of the Penguins"
"Murderball"
"Street Fight"

Film Editing:
"Cinderella Man"
"The Constant Gardener"
"Crash"
"Munich" (one of the most brilliantly edited films i've seen)
"Walk the Line"

Makeup:
"Cinderella Man"

Visual Effects:
"King Kong"
"War of the Worlds"

icecreamdisco

HSC
hasn't been released yet, and i never d/l movies. will see it on it's advanced screening weekend next week, if it has one.

nwatts

HSC
Benny_ said:
I'm sure Hoffman will win. Neither Phoenix's nor Ledgers' performances come anywhere close. It's the best performance I've seen in years. Anyway, I don't think Bill Murray will ever win best actor. He should've been at least nominated this year to make up for not winning it for LiT (and the Academy is notorious for make up awards), but no nomination suggests to me that he's just not the Academy's idea of a best actor winner.

Overall, barring the nomination of Crash at the expense of Match Point, I think the Academy did a pretty good job this year. Broken Flowers, for all its BOS love, just didn't get the momentum it needed for any nominations.

You've seen Match Point then Nick? What did you think?
Match Point? Superb. I'm not well versed in Woody Allen, so I can't really compare it to his earlier work, but I thought this was just marvellous. The great writing, fantastic acting (especially from Johansson), really great use of all the London monuments. Loved the film.

I'm quite keen to go to the advanced screening next tuesday at Moonlight in centennial park too, so I can see it on the big screen. And i'd bring along my friends (i'm notorious for making friends watch movies I love!), but it's damned valentines day and they've probably got plans! (cursed real-life romance) I'll have to grab the single ones.

walrusbear

HSC
icecreamdisco said:
Supporting Actor:
Matt Dillon, "Crash"
have you seen syriana already?
i'm interested to know how that movie is

icecreamdisco

HSC
walrusbear said:
have you seen syriana already?
i'm interested to know how that movie is
nah, i'm just predicting it.

sources tell me it's super-convoluted and one of the most confusing mainstream films of recent years. i love traffic despite it's flaws (it's just such great filmmaking) and this one seems to be in the same vein.

walrusbear

HSC
icecreamdisco said:
nah, i'm just predicting it.

sources tell me it's super-convoluted and one of the most confusing mainstream films of recent years. i love traffic despite it's flaws (it's just such great filmmaking) and this one seems to be in the same vein.
i really enjoyed traffic also. i think soderbergh nailed it. he managed to fit his style to the material perfectly.
the trailer for syriana got me excited. after good night and good luck clooney strikes me as someone who can make an interesting film out of a mainstream system.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
in lieu of oscars, i haven't seen everything yet.
in general terms i predict brokeback mountain and walk the line (haven't seen it yet) will be successful. personally i'd like to see munich and good night and good luck win them. clooney for director, either for best film.

HSC
Benny_ said:
I don't think Bill Murray will ever win best actor. He should've been at least nominated this year to make up for not winning it for LiT (and the Academy is notorious for make up awards), but no nomination suggests to me that he's just not the Academy's idea of a best actor winner.

sorry but i don't like when people think someone should get an oscar just to make up for past performances that were great and went unrecognised. thats the reason denzel washington won for training day- that performance was no way near as good as russel crowe in a beautiful mind- but the academy felt sorry for him and gave him the oscar to make up for the past. it should go on that one single performance that was the best that year.

i realise you are agreeing with that tho. but hoffman over ledger. i think maybe you are going on the great performance hoffman has delivered over the past years. i feel that ledger will lose just cos he isn't so media co operative and is too young which is totally unfair.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Actually I think what I said was that the Academy had a habit of belatedly awarding good performances. Since Bill Murray put in a superb performance for LiT, and another performance worthy of a nod for Broken Flowers, yet wasn't even nominated, I've come to beileve that perhaps they won't ever give him the recognition he deserves. It was merely an observation.

Have you seen Capote? Ledger's Enis del Mar was exceptional, but Hoffman's Truman Capote is one of the best performances that I can remember from recent times. I'm no connoisseur of acting, but this was one of the few performances in the past 6 years that's had me saying aloud : 'damn, that's fine acting'. He'll win it, because he deserves it.

walrusbear

HSC
Benny_ said:
Actually I think what I said was that the Academy had a habit of belatedly awarding good performances. Since Bill Murray put in a superb performance for LiT, and another performance worthy of a nod for Broken Flowers, yet wasn't even nominated, I've come to beileve that perhaps they won't ever give him the recognition he deserves. It was merely an observation.

Have you seen Capote? Ledger's Enis del Mar was exceptional, but Hoffman's Truman Capote is one of the best performances that I can remember from recent times. I'm no connoisseur of acting, but this was one of the few performances in the past 6 years that's had me saying aloud : 'damn, that's fine acting'. He'll win it, because he deserves it.
a question, benny
i haven't read any capote and don't know very much about him. will this affect the movie for me? (i love phillip seymour hoffman though).

ps.
is takitani still a possibility??

nwatts

HSC
something_funny said:
sorry but i don't like when people think someone should get an oscar just to make up for past performances that were great and went unrecognised. thats the reason denzel washington won for training day- that performance was no way near as good as russel crowe in a beautiful mind- but the academy felt sorry for him and gave him the oscar to make up for the past. it should go on that one single performance that was the best that year.
They do it all the time - see Morgan Freeman for Million Dollar Baby. He's done better, but the Academy felt sorry they hadn't awarded that sexy voice earlier, and give him a medal.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
walrusbear- you don't need to read any Capote or know much about him.. it might help if you know the basics about his sexuailty and personal life I guess, but it's not essential.

YOu can still get Tony Takitani off that friend I told you about, or I can get him to burn it on to a cd for me and I can give it to you myself. Whatever you prefer.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
something_funny said:
thats the reason denzel washington won for training day- that performance was no way near as good as russel crowe in a beautiful mind- but the academy felt sorry for him and gave him the oscar to make up for the past.
they were both terrible overacters in my opinion. if i had to give it to one of the nominees, i would probably have given it to tom wilkinson... but that's just me.

this year i havent seen all of the movies yet, so i dont like to comment on performances, but i really enjoyed reese witherspoons performance and i also loved watching every player in "good night and good luck", which is a film very close to perfection in my opinion.

the directing of munich was brilliant, but then again so was that of BB mountain (although it wasnt much of a movie in general.)

Ellie-Bee

HSC
These are what I think should win!!! (in italics!)

Best Picture:
"Brokeback Mountain"
"Capote"
"Crash"
"Munich"

Actor:
Philip Seymour Hoffman, "Capote" (just coz he is cool!)

Actress:

Supporting Actor:
Matt Dillon, "Crash"

Supporting Actress:
Amy Adams, "Junebug"

Director:
Bennett Miller, "Capote"
Paul Haggis, "Crash"

Animated Feature Film:

"Howl's Moving Castle"

Art Direction:

"King Kong"
"Memoirs of a Geisha"
"Pride & Prejudice"

Cinematography:
"Batman Begins"
"Brokeback Mountain"
"Memoirs of a Geisha"
"The New World"

Original Score:
"Munich," John Williams

Original Song:

Costume:
"Memoirs of a Geisha"
"Pride & Prejudice"
"Walk the Line"

Makeup:
"Cinderella Man"

Visual Effects:
"King Kong"
"War of the Worlds"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)