Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Griffith University - calling all students

HSC

Re: Griffith University - calling all students

Griffith is very popular on the Gold Coast, almost everyone in my school is tryng to get in =__=

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Ice.Coffee
    sorry if i revive it again? i'm hoping to get into Griffith's Bachelor of Medical Science. The 'campus' for the School of medicine looks pretty high-tech, and it's directly connected to the Gold Coast Hospital so over time i think Griffith will be the place to be for medicine in QLD. What kind of scares me is the 'lack of' school grounds? i dunno..its seems Griffith is spread out all over the Coast, so..how do you meet people outside of your study area?
    for the most part you only go to one campus .. i only know a couple of people who are enrolled in classes at more than one. so it's not like you have to go between the gold coast/nathan/mt gravatt campuses or whatever.
    hi super nintendo chalmers!

HSC

it's likely that i'll be going to griffith in 2007 to study multimedia. i put down graphic design as my first preference at the queensland college of art but no doubt i won't make it in so multimedia is the next option for me. Is anyone else doing this course, if so what is it like? hopefully i'll enjoy it as much as i did in high school.

HSC

queensland college of art IS griffith university, no?

Cadet
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Ice.Coffee
    sorry if i revive it again? i'm hoping to get into Griffith's Bachelor of Medical Science. The 'campus' for the School of medicine looks pretty high-tech, and it's directly connected to the Gold Coast Hospital so over time i think Griffith will be the place to be for medicine in QLD. What kind of scares me is the 'lack of' school grounds? i dunno..its seems Griffith is spread out all over the Coast, so..how do you meet people outside of your study area?

Just on this topic, I'm guessing UQ also has the same course. If it does, can I ask if you've got other reasons on top of those for wanting to go to Griffith? I'm an interstate applicant, so for me its a decision between the 'older and more prestigious UQ' or the 'new and awesome' Griffith which from what I have found has campuses all over the place...

So if anyone also knows, whats it like going to a uni which is spread out compared to an all in one uni? for example in terms of uni facilities/social clubs etc

ps, Is the a difference in the cost of living from Gold Coast and Brisbane? I'm guessing the GoldCoast is more expensive because tourists inflate the economy.
    Last edited by Spon888; 30 Sep 2006 at 9:02 PM.

HSC

i liked the Mt Gravatt campus, and the bus system is brisbane kicks the shit out of sydney so its easy to get to.

Just because you are paranoid doesnt mean they arent after you

Quote Originally Posted by blah101
    i highly doubt u could drive something just below the speed of light i do belive the ground speed record is in the region of 350mph which is a mear 100 times less that the speed of light idiot so in order to travel the speed at which u specify would i not need to be poileting the vehicle?

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Spon888
    So if anyone also knows, whats it like going to a uni which is spread out compared to an all in one uni? for example in terms of uni facilities/social clubs etc
    you only go to one campus .. well, the med students have a couple classes at the medical campus at the hospital, but apart from that they pretty much stick to one. like, i'm enrolled at the gold coast and i've never even been to mt gravatt/south bank/logan whatever, like, it's of absolutely no concern to me and all the social outings/clubs/facilities and stuff are totally separate for each campus.

Cadet
    HSC

katietheskatie - Can I ask what course you're doing? and which campus?

Also, would you say the campus itself has enough clubs/facilities/societies etc...basically has it got the things that a bigger all in one uni would have>?

HSC

um, i'm doing a bachelor of business in hotel management/bachelor of international business.

yeah, i'd say there's enough .. there's a club for pretty much every sporting or cultural thing you could think of, there's decent facilities etc. there's probably not as many restaurants/shops/whatever as something like unsw, but depending on the campus it's pretty good. except for logan campus which is like three buildings from what i've heard lol.

Cadet
    HSC

well basically what I'm trying to get at is deciding between UQ and Griffith (GC Campus), purely in terms of their locations/facilities first. I'm an interstate student, so accomodation for me is also a big factor. I'll be heading over there sometime after the HSC to check it out, but I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons from the internet first. Otherwise thanks for you're replies, they've been very useful. Do you know of any other things I might find useful?

HSC

Imo Brisbane is much nicer than GC, especially if your campus is the one in the botanical gardens (I'm not sure which is which). Also there's absolutely heaps of student accommodation around Brisbane city (and very reasonably priced too) - check out the accommodation link from the Griffith website. Hope this helps.

I'm moving up there next year too (from NSW), but most likely will be living up in the mountains.
    When I open my eyes I must sigh, for what I see is contrary to my religion, and I must despise the world which does not know that music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy.

Beethoven

HSC

the gu campus is at south bank which is right accross the river from the cbd. you shouldn't have any trouble finding accomodation at their cmapuses, there is plenty. choosing the right campus really depends on the course ur doing as transport etc is cheap and easy.

Cadet
    HSC

Awesome thanks for the info. But maybe I should stop choosing on location and go by which Uni offers the better course. In the end that will probably be the decisive factor. But of course the location will be the icing on the cake. But right now, I'm more inclined to UQ, even though you guys put some great points foward about Griffith.

HSC

I'll be going to Griffith next year, hopefully I'll get into on campus at nathan, since the campus is really nice with all the trees and everything, since I live in the middle of a national park at the moment I don't think I could stand being surrounded by nothing by concrete.

Also I want to do a bachelor of science with advanced studies and none of the other brisbane uni's have it.
    Bachelor of Photonics and Nanoscience at Griffith University

HSC

Hey guys im a prospective GU Gold Coast student:P
    Looks like so much fun there (as well as an excellent uni of course lol), only problem i have now is where to live as im from NSW! Ive looked at the student built accomm. and i think its either going to be a toss up between Nexus Place or Uni Village. If anyone could tell me a little more about both of those places (or even the other two - Metro on Central or Uni Square) that would be FANTASTIC!!

Thanks in advance!

HSC

metro and nexus place aren't near uni, so they have a shuttle bus thingo which i guess could be a pain in the ass .. uni square and uni village are within walking distance, but uni square doesn't have a pool. i think it's marginally less expensive or something though.

HSC

Ok guys i really need your help....

If ANY OF YOU could pleasssseeeeee tell me more about the GC campus i would really appreciate it as i cant vist and really want someone who's been there to give me their honest opinion about the place. I also have found this course i like at QUT so any good info on the Griffith GC campus to weigh up my options would help so much!!!!

Thanks! (*Waits impaitently for a reply*....)

HSC

.. what else do you want to know? be more specific.

HSC

Oh sorry, forgot to mention what i wanted info on! (im a dag i kno lol)
    Well basically i would like info on the social scene at GUGC: is there many social acitivties, what O week is like there as well as what the GC is like in general (havent been there since i was like 5 lol)...

Also, im looking at studing either communication's or international business, so any info on what those degrees/subjects are like would be really handy aswell...

Cadet
    HSC

I did the drive-through visit of the GC campus, and from what I saw (mainly the outside of buildings/facilities) its a very nice place. I think its one of the larger campuses of the Griffith University, but facilities wise it doesn't have a lot going for it in the actual campus. However I saw a very large Sports Centre opposite the road from the campus, so I guess thats where the action can take place.

The new student accomodation being built for the GC campus is across the road (but the road is a major highway), but they'll have walkways joining the campus and accomodation. Right now they are still clearing the land and haven't laid foundations for it, but hopefully as they say, they will complete the first 200 beds by February 2007.

I'm from Sydney too, so if I can compare it to the ones here, I have to say what I saw looks very nice, mainly because a lot of the stuff is fairly new and they are still building more.

Otherwise I would have thought the main attraction of the GC campus is that its in GC, and therefore close to the beach, good weather and all round great place to be.

HSC

I am aiming to get to Griffith University and study IT, for 2009.
    UAI Goal: 60-65
    Bachelor of IT @ Southern Cross Uni
    Biggest challenge: Motivation

HSC

lol i haventy been here for a while, but im now finishing third year at GU - Nathan, still doing the B. Science, majoring in Chemistry, overall the uni is fairly good, but the timetabling sucks major donkey balls...

But over all, ive seen two Campus' Mount Gravatt Campus, which is for the Teaching and Psychology students mainly, but there is some arts, and other subjects there, and Nathan, which is about 4-5 times bigger, and has everything bar music, psych, teaching, as it's the major campus up at brisbane.

It's fun and it's worthwhile going there.

Class of 2004 of Ballina High School

"the death of normality", and the birth of reality tv, where the hell is the world going????

“I am reading it more and enjoying it less.” – John F Kennedy

HSC

Hey James, I might see you there...I intend to go to Griffith as well
    Except I will be doing (hopefully) commerce/law

Does anyone know what sport is like at griffith nathan/gold coast...I am a major sport freak and am curious to know what its like?

HSC

Hello. I am new here.

I plan to do a Bachelor of Arts / Business next year at Griffith GC. I will apply for the double degree once I am accepted into the Arts degree because of the OP 6 required.

I will, hopefully, work in public service after I am finished at university.

Anyone else staying at Griffith University Village? On the GC. Because I am :-).

J.

HSC

isn't it like op 10 now? i got into bachelor of arts/business in 2004 and the cutoff was 6, but i'm pretttty sure it's dropped since then.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information