Griffith University - calling all students (1 Viewer)

HSC
haha, uq is so overrated. at least i'm not the only person on the whole damn boredofstudies site at the gold coast campus :D

sweetcherry

HSC
Uni Grad
I only recently enrolled at GU Mt Gravatt today - doing B.Education - Special Education. Should be interesting this semester.

phatic

HSC
Ah, time for another thread revival. I'm applying for B. Mus in Composition at the QCGU. Auditions are just over a week away! This is getting exciting. :D

Ice.Coffee

HSC
sorry if i revive it again? i'm hoping to get into Griffith's Bachelor of Medical Science. The 'campus' for the School of medicine looks pretty high-tech, and it's directly connected to the Gold Coast Hospital so over time i think Griffith will be the place to be for medicine in QLD. What kind of scares me is the 'lack of' school grounds? i dunno..its seems Griffith is spread out all over the Coast, so..how do you meet people outside of your study area?

chilipepper

scentless apprentice
HSC
I'll b going to Nathan in 07, but I cannot decide between B enviro planning/BScience OR B enviro management....Its stressing me out so much. Anyone help me ? Why the fuck are there so little replies to this Griffith Uni thread... are there no griffith people? No one i know is goin to griffith its like it doesnt exist theyre all headin to QUT or UQ...

Ice.Coffee

HSC
Griffith is very popular on the Gold Coast, almost everyone in my school is tryng to get in =__=

HSC
Ice.Coffee said:
sorry if i revive it again? i'm hoping to get into Griffith's Bachelor of Medical Science. The 'campus' for the School of medicine looks pretty high-tech, and it's directly connected to the Gold Coast Hospital so over time i think Griffith will be the place to be for medicine in QLD. What kind of scares me is the 'lack of' school grounds? i dunno..its seems Griffith is spread out all over the Coast, so..how do you meet people outside of your study area?
for the most part you only go to one campus .. i only know a couple of people who are enrolled in classes at more than one. so it's not like you have to go between the gold coast/nathan/mt gravatt campuses or whatever.

topsoup

HSC
it's likely that i'll be going to griffith in 2007 to study multimedia. i put down graphic design as my first preference at the queensland college of art but no doubt i won't make it in so multimedia is the next option for me. Is anyone else doing this course, if so what is it like? hopefully i'll enjoy it as much as i did in high school.

Spon888

HSC
Ice.Coffee said:

Just on this topic, I'm guessing UQ also has the same course. If it does, can I ask if you've got other reasons on top of those for wanting to go to Griffith? I'm an interstate applicant, so for me its a decision between the 'older and more prestigious UQ' or the 'new and awesome' Griffith which from what I have found has campuses all over the place...

So if anyone also knows, whats it like going to a uni which is spread out compared to an all in one uni? for example in terms of uni facilities/social clubs etc

ps, Is the a difference in the cost of living from Gold Coast and Brisbane? I'm guessing the GoldCoast is more expensive because tourists inflate the economy.

Last edited:

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
i liked the Mt Gravatt campus, and the bus system is brisbane kicks the shit out of sydney so its easy to get to.

HSC
Spon888 said:
So if anyone also knows, whats it like going to a uni which is spread out compared to an all in one uni? for example in terms of uni facilities/social clubs etc
you only go to one campus .. well, the med students have a couple classes at the medical campus at the hospital, but apart from that they pretty much stick to one. like, i'm enrolled at the gold coast and i've never even been to mt gravatt/south bank/logan whatever, like, it's of absolutely no concern to me and all the social outings/clubs/facilities and stuff are totally separate for each campus.

Spon888

HSC
katietheskatie - Can I ask what course you're doing? and which campus?

Also, would you say the campus itself has enough clubs/facilities/societies etc...basically has it got the things that a bigger all in one uni would have>?

HSC
um, i'm doing a bachelor of business in hotel management/bachelor of international business.

yeah, i'd say there's enough .. there's a club for pretty much every sporting or cultural thing you could think of, there's decent facilities etc. there's probably not as many restaurants/shops/whatever as something like unsw, but depending on the campus it's pretty good. except for logan campus which is like three buildings from what i've heard lol.

Spon888

HSC
well basically what I'm trying to get at is deciding between UQ and Griffith (GC Campus), purely in terms of their locations/facilities first. I'm an interstate student, so accomodation for me is also a big factor. I'll be heading over there sometime after the HSC to check it out, but I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons from the internet first. Otherwise thanks for you're replies, they've been very useful. Do you know of any other things I might find useful?

phatic

HSC
Imo Brisbane is much nicer than GC, especially if your campus is the one in the botanical gardens (I'm not sure which is which). Also there's absolutely heaps of student accommodation around Brisbane city (and very reasonably priced too) - check out the accommodation link from the Griffith website. Hope this helps.

I'm moving up there next year too (from NSW), but most likely will be living up in the mountains. :)

topsoup

HSC
the gu campus is at south bank which is right accross the river from the cbd. you shouldn't have any trouble finding accomodation at their cmapuses, there is plenty. choosing the right campus really depends on the course ur doing as transport etc is cheap and easy.

Spon888

HSC
Awesome thanks for the info. But maybe I should stop choosing on location and go by which Uni offers the better course. In the end that will probably be the decisive factor. But of course the location will be the icing on the cake. But right now, I'm more inclined to UQ, even though you guys put some great points foward about Griffith.

Naylyn

HSC
I'll be going to Griffith next year, hopefully I'll get into on campus at nathan, since the campus is really nice with all the trees and everything, since I live in the middle of a national park at the moment I don't think I could stand being surrounded by nothing by concrete.

Also I want to do a bachelor of science with advanced studies and none of the other brisbane uni's have it.

ShopOholic

HSC
Hey guys im a prospective GU Gold Coast student:p
Looks like so much fun there (as well as an excellent uni of course lol), only problem i have now is where to live as im from NSW! Ive looked at the student built accomm. and i think its either going to be a toss up between Nexus Place or Uni Village. If anyone could tell me a little more about both of those places (or even the other two - Metro on Central or Uni Square) that would be FANTASTIC!!

Thanks in advance!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)