Calls to move Australia Day (1 Viewer)

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
The future of the Commonwealth of Australia was forged by the European fathers who arrived on this great land on January 26.

Today we celebrate the Commonwealth of Australia which without European settlement would be series of small tribes with little unity. That or we would be speaking french or dutch. It would be stupid to think that if the British didn't do it no other country would!

I support Australia proudly and acknowledge January 26 as the rightful day to celebrate it. If the remote Indigenous population has a problem they can initiate their own day to celebrate their recognition as citizens of this great nation or the apology afforded to them by Prime Minister Rudd which is not universally recognised by all Australians.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
Pft why should we move it for? I mean, if the Europeans didn't come here, Aboriginals would still be chasing after wild animals instead of chasing our tax money and benefits we give them.

Yeah, I'd say; we'll change the Australia Day date in return we'll stop giving Aboriginals welfare.

I'm sure 99.9% of Aboriginals will back away from that proposal. :spzz:

Lentern

HSC
I don't think it should change. I'm the first to admit that European settlement has caused some devestating things to happen to the indigenous Australians and that they could reasonably have some reservations about the day. I believe however that we are a society moving forward and experiencing continous improvement. At the moment European settlement is something the indigenous community can quite reasonably resent but I like to think that we are heading in the direction where one day indigenous Australians will for the large part look back and be able to honestly say that it was a long bumpy ride but we are now at the stage where everyone indigenous, asian, English, Islamic can be happy that the settlement took place. I believe that whe that day comes whether it's in twenty years, fifty years or a hundred years that we should commemorate the day where that great journey commenced, on the 26th of January.

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
This land is theirs? I am pretty sure they have no concept of land ownership in their culture. I'll stop trolling now, I promise.
My original point which I did not bother to express was that the national day should not be changed to May 27th as that date really only hold significance to Aboriginals, I am all for some sort of commemoration of the day, but it should not be any stretch of the imagination by the national day.
I personally believe that the most appropriate day for Australia day would be Federation day, but because of it's unfortunate timing January 26th is the next best thing.
Agreed with Federation Day

just give us Jan 2 or Dec 31 off as well

overRun

HSC
The abos can go fuck themselves. Its the best day of the year, now we can insult the abos by celebrating the day they lost their land and no one cares.

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
also

australians are tragically ignorant of their own indigenous peoples' cultures

i bet everyone itt could name at least 2 native american tribes

but doesn't know the name of their local aboriginal group, or any of their language

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
also

but doesn't know the name of their local aboriginal group, or any of their language
refern abos, mount isa abos

both speak pigeon english

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
I know every Abo tribe in Australia pre-invasion

prime-factor

HSC
What is really surprising here is the amount of people referring to 'all' Aboriginal's based on what 'one' person has had to say. I agree that the idea seems outlandish, but it probably doesn't reflect all Australian Aboriginal's views. Also the racial stereotypes are getting old and really just indicate a lack of substance in what you have to say.

Ben Netanyahu

Banned
HSC
N/A
Same goes for your posts in general:

hello there chaps. this and that. you ought to take the middle line and stop being so uneducated okay? regards, prime factor.

prime-factor

HSC
Thankyou. I was just pointing out the fact, since it obviously isn't clear to some people. And you Exphate are a scholar and a gentleman (sarcasm) .

rasengan90

HSC
also

I live in Darug nation, Kunigal tribal territory! Represent yo!

Last edited:

incentivation

Hmmmmm....
HSC
N/A
Opposed. The nation state that is "Australia" was derived out of European Settlement. Sure, develop a public holiday to reflect the 'reconciled nation', but don't do it to the detriment of our history. The misdeeds of some throughout our history, should not automatically mean we should misplace and forget our ancestry; the creation of a productive, first world nation.

We are continuously told by many Indigenous academics that their heritage and history was greatly affected by European Settlement. I suggest they adopt their own preachings and instead of attempting to promote animosity towards 'white history', promote a policy of acceptance and inclusion. Instead of telling government what is right, promote open and frank discussion from both sides.

Adopt a policy that promotes the idea that throughout history, mistakes have been. Indeed many great mistakes, by many great leaders. However, reinforce the idea that despite these tarnishing blots on our history we can achieve genuine reconciliation and acceptance.

E

Empyrean444

I don't personally think that changing the date is really necessary, or will have any substantial effect. Some sombre reflection on the dual direness (for Aborigines) of the day would be nice, but Australian culture being what it is, I doubt such self reflection would ever occur on more than a very small individual level, unfortunately.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)