Depression and the HSC - how do you cope? (1 Viewer)

Ashabella

HSC
piss off.

What a terrible thing to say. I hope that you will never have to deal with anything traumatic and your parents will continue to wrap yourself in bubble wrap and protect you from the harsh reality of life, otherwise you will not cope and wonder, where did I go wrong.

Why are you bothering to comment on this thread if it is just to make other people feel bad? Are you proud that you have basically said that there is no reason for how I react to that situation? Are you pleased with yourself that you are blaming the many people who do suffer from mentall illness on themselves which is often part of the problem? Well I am glad that you seem to be the only person on thihs thread who realises what a narrowminded, ignorant and self absorbed view that is.

OH SNAP!

Well done. You just totally owned him.

But, what's more important is how your coping with what he said? I can imagine it would be pretty damn difficult to have to listen to someone minimise your problems. I think most people do enough of that on their own, without the help of others, hey?

Are you okay Sarah?

HSC
You want to hear how a science experiement went wrong? How a beaker exploded into millions of slithers, their remnants in my hair, eyelashes and eyebrows? You want to hear that everytime I hear a door slam or a big *bang* I can still hear everyone screaming? See the face of a girl that looked straight at me and screamed because I had blood all over my face from the lacerations caused by the glass? I had glass all over my face. Large bits of glass under my eye which was there for about 5 weeks because the doctors missed it and I could feel its sharp edges under my skin. I had a staff infection from my neck scar for which I still bear today. I had so many surgeries in an attempt to reduce scarring on that bloody thing and it still serves as a daily reminder of what happened. I blacked out. Had to help a friend of mine, the only other person left in the lab becuase she went temporarily deaf from the sound of the explosion. We ran out the door. Ten of us, plus the teacher who cut an atery in her arm were sent to hospital. People had glass in their eyes, one girl was instructed to hold the bunsen burner and continued to while it exploded and had to undergo massive surgery on her thumb that was partially removed.

If that is a mental weakness and if I am insane because I can literally feel the glass go into my face every year at 10.30am on the fourth of march. Then so be it. I refuse to make excuses for my condition. It is there, I just have learnt to cope with it. It is not my fault.
oh my gosh! that is sooo horrible!

sarahaussiegirl

HSC
Hey everyone,

I am, planning to boycott this thread as it has turned into an attack on me which given the circumstances are unfair. I would like to thank all those who have supported the cause and who have treated this thread as a serious issue of the mentally ill and for those whom it may affect their HSC results. Good Luck to everyone and for those who have mistreated this thread to use it as a terrible waste of a good thread to attack and blame those who are mentally ill I just pity you. I feel sorry for you and the fact that your empathy level is non existant to the stage that you attack minority groups. To you also, luck in life. You will need it.

Toodles
xoxoxoxo

Ashabella

HSC
Hey everyone,

I am, planning to boycott this thread as it has turned into an attack on me which given the circumstances are unfair. I would like to thank all those who have supported the cause and who have treated this thread as a serious issue of the mentally ill and for those whom it may affect their HSC results. Good Luck to everyone and for those who have mistreated this thread to use it as a terrible waste of a good thread to attack and blame those who are mentally ill I just pity you. I feel sorry for you and the fact that your empathy level is non existant to the stage that you attack minority groups. To you also, luck in life. You will need it.

Toodles
xoxoxoxo
I second that.

You're a very strong person to be able to say what you just said. I really admire that.

shell.q

HSC
Look for those who are giving everyone on here crap. We do NOT chose to have depression. It can be anything from hormone imbalance to PTSD
I know if I had the choice i would say not to depression becuase untill you have it you do not understand how much it eats one person up.
The people here who do post I'm guessing are like me, we want to find people who understand what we are going through and help each other. Ad for ashabella- she has a passion to help others. That is no harm on society
Just allow us to have our say without giving anyone crap. I am def not going into detail on what I have been through because of the shit I know i would get, but i know it is prob a lot more then wat the majority of you guys have been through.
Look you guys whom give crap to anyone who has shared their story in this thread you need to realise that this world was not built for an army of yours to rule.
Other people do belong here, and we have feelings as little as you guys might have, let us do what we want without disurbing please. =]

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC
Hey everyone,

Toodles
xoxoxoxo
Ahh, "Toodles". The typical "manic depressive" farewell.

q3thefish

HSC
I'm starting to feel the pressure but thus far, no depression.

Music and the french language does wonders though (oh, it's such a smexy language.)

Lets pwn the 08'ers and I wish all of you the best of luck!

HAHS 09'.

HSC
Hey everyone,

Toodles
xoxoxoxo
*hi 5* i agree :)

likah666

HSC
Some kids have no Idea , some of the people in this thread need to go educate them self on this illness that effect's 1 in 4 Australian's.

Anyone making light of this should be ashamed , that's not the Aussie way.
We should all pitch in and be serious and help one another.

slip00knot

HSC
The fact of the matter is. none of you people that come in here and attack people because of a mental illness know anything about life. 1 in 4 aussies are diagnosed and 99 in 100 are effected by it somehow. be it through friends, family or anything. none of you know what we have/are going through so shut your mouth until you do. depression is a mental illness. do you walk down the street and insult people with autism, downsyndrome or something similar?

its not very fair that these people have come online and started telling others about something that's literally controlling their lives and affecting all their friends and more people have attacked them for it

anyway i really started this post so i could tell some people some ways to get through the day when they are upset. it worked for me.

think of someone you love/care about. in my case its my girlfriend.
write 5 positive things that happened that day
watch your favourite movie/read a book
go for a jog
ALWAYS talk to someone you can trust. even if you don't know anyone and would like some support send me a message :) i'd be more than happy to help. i've been there. i know what your going through
if self harming is an issue here's some ways to deal with that. i personally used to hold ice on my wrists. it hurts but its better than a razor and won't have a lasting effect.
flick yourself with a rubber band
punching bag
surround yourself with people. (only if your a talkative person. otherwise it'll make it worse)
again, talk to someone. if anyone wants to know anything else feel free to message me :)

Last edited:

slip00knot

HSC
No problem :)

That's nice of you to offer your help too.

I'm glad you have managed to get over the depression you have had in the past. That's so positive. I hope you feel proud about it, because you should. It can't have been an easy thing to do, but wow... you managed... well done!

It sounds like you do have an excellent experience of it, both personally and through helping people close to you.

You said some really great things in this post. Some things that show that you have a really really good understanding of it all. I think a lot of people will get something from what you said.

Thanks again for all your words of wisdom... you are certainly very wise!

:)
oh by the way. i'm glad you decided mental health for a career. its something i'd like to do too. good luck :)

Ashabella

HSC
oh by the way. i'm glad you decided mental health for a career. its something i'd like to do too. good luck :)
Thanks.

I think you'd be good at it. You seem to have a good understanding of people.

Good luck with it all :)

xo

shell.q

HSC
The fact of the matter is. none of you people that come in here and attack people because of a mental illness know anything about life. 1 in 4 aussies are diagnosed and 99 in 100 are effected by it somehow. be it through friends, family or anything. none of you know what we have/are going through so shut your mouth until you do. depression is a mental illness. do you walk down the street and insult people with autism, downsyndrome or something similar?

its not very fair that these people have come online and started telling others about something that's literally controlling their lives and affecting all their friends and more people have attacked them for it

anyway i really started this post so i could tell some people some ways to get through the day when they are upset. it worked for me.

go for a jog
ALWAYS talk to someone you can trust. even if you don't know anyone and would like some support send me a message :) i'd be more than happy to help. i've been there. i know what your going through
if self harming is an issue here's some ways to deal with that. i personally used to hold ice on my wrists. it hurts but its better than a razor and won't have a lasting effect.
punching bag
surround yourself with people. (only if your a talkative person. otherwise it'll make it worse)
again, talk to someone. if anyone wants to know anything else feel free to message me :)
The sad thing is that i know the people giving others crap about depression in here will be ones that do this to.

jasmineIStheSEX

HSC
I was awfully thinking of suicide today as my only way out:( , but my bf talked me out of it

such a sweetie <3

Ashabella

HSC

go for a jog
punching bag

Thanks slipknot.

That was an awesome post. Coping strategies, personal insight, myth busting... the lot. haha. Sounds like some sort of burger when I put it like that...

REALLY good coping strategies mentioned too.

Note to everyone who reads this post: read slipknot's post.

;)

xo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)