does ur school rank really affect ur mark? (1 Viewer)

LordPc

HSC
theoretically, school ranking does not affect you uai.
however psychologically it will. What i am trying to say is that someone in JR will be in a better position to gain a higher uai because of their environment; they have friends which they compete with, and asian parents (even the non-asian JR parents are affected by this >>>very contagious in selective schools)...>.> the pressure present in those high ranked selective schools are not present in shit schools. Without the motivation, you cannot succeed =(

thats why asian parents want you to make smart friends...so that you can be like other asians...and then beat them. o.0
Yep, very true. The atmosphere will just make you want to work harder that at a normal school

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
I have heard some amazing stories over the years such as Nathan Compton who got 100 UAI from St Gregory.

And it's just not very common that people from school ranked 500+ end up doing well because most academic people just move to different schools that are ranked higher and they cannot really take advantage of the smart form from their school so it is of course quite rare.

And SC can be harder than your school exams. And you may not have fulfilled the syllabus properly. May be your answers were poorly structured/worded. May be, you were not really good enough on the exam day. But I will tell you this, your results seem good. You got few Band 6s and Band 5s, that's amazing. I know that you aren't satisfied and feel bitter about all this matter, but you really shouldn't take much care in this matter. There is much harder and more important exam to come called HSC. Leave your sc results behind now and get back to succeeding in HSC which really matters. No body cares about your sc results anyway. It would be stupid to mention that mark over and over again when no body actually cares about it.

AND I don't understand your "theory". How can BOS just make your perform worse? When markers mark your papers, they don' know your school, your name or other details. They just mark it so there is hardly any prejudices. So please feel assured that you are safe from such cheating practices. And as I said, school rank is NOT determined by BOS. It's all these newspapers that make it.
Are you sure about your information about Nathan Compton? I checked the Google and it said that he got a UAI of 99.60.

I'm looking for information of kids who got 100 UAI but went to low ranked schools. Could you guys be kind enough to help me by naming a few?

dp624

HSC
Are you sure about your information about Nathan Compton? I checked the Google and it said that he got a UAI of 99.60.

I'm looking for information of kids who got 100 UAI but went to low ranked schools. Could you guys be kind enough to help me by naming a few?
Not many this year (i think there's a thread for it)

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC

my school was in the 600's in 07 rankings, moved to the 300's in 08s.
we had a 98.65.
Not 100, but close enough.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
@Dragonmaster:

Hm, I am sure he got 100 UAI. I heard that from someone else.

But I am not entirely sure. Maybe I falsely assumed that he got 100 UAI because he topped 2 subjects (meaning that he got 200/200 scaled marks for those two and on top of that, he got Band 6 for the rest..)

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC

tennille.lung

HSC
i love when people with really good marks still compare themselves saying they should've gotten way more.. dude i studied real hard and got 60 something and was just above average. did i complain? no. because i tried my hardest and don't give a donkeys balls what other people got. its none of my business. one of my friends got 98% in an exam and cried because she "could've done better". i just got 35% in my math half yearly (my bludge subject cos they wouldnt let me drop) and i'm happy i got over 20%

but basically.. if you're really high and the other students are low, you will get scaled down. but if most students have high marks, the lower students will get scaled up. last year my friend was top and everyone was well below her.. she got low band 5 thanks to them.. its stupid, i know. but its not the end of the world

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
i love when people with really good marks still compare themselves saying they should've gotten way more.. dude i studied real hard and got 60 something and was just above average. did i complain? no. because i tried my hardest and don't give a donkeys balls what other people got. its none of my business. one of my friends got 98% in an exam and cried because she "could've done better". i just got 35% in my math half yearly (my bludge subject cos they wouldnt let me drop) and i'm happy i got over 20%

but basically.. if you're really high and the other students are low, you will get scaled down. but if most students have high marks, the lower students will get scaled up. last year my friend was top and everyone was well below her.. she got low band 5 thanks to them.. its stupid, i know. but its not the end of the world
if you don't know the system shut up please.

red-butterfly

HSC
just change schools.. ranked 657? I thought there were only like 600 schools in the state.

Isn't it obvious by now that shit schools are scaled down, why on earth would all those smart Asian parents be working so damn hard to send their kids to the best selectice and private schools if all schools were scaled the same.
I agree!!

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
I agree!!
It is because of the environment and hence mentality instilled by the "best selective and private schools".

Again, you can still get an awesome UAI in a non-selective or non-private school but it is up to the individual to go that extra mile to get the better marks.

gabgab

HSC
the rank of your school shouldnt affect the mark you get. im not sure whether it does or not, so dont jump down my throat or whatever,

But, you cant compare yourself to others in your school, especially if its a low ranked school, because there will be thousands of other people doing better than you if you dont try. It is sort of like, relative.

e.g. if you hang with your friends from your school, and compared to them you are a super nerd who never sees the sun, you have to realise that there will be people who are studying more than you.

at my school, i'm in a really dumb year. our principal calls us "the year who likes to party". There are predictions that we will be the worst year to go through the college, and they are probably right. So, if i compare myself to the rest of the year, and im ranked 1st in all my subjects, it doesnt mean much, because our year is not "academically focused". Just remember that there are wizz kids out there spending 12 hours a day studying, and go and study, rather than worrying about your school affected your marks.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
the rank of your school shouldnt affect the mark you get. im not sure whether it does or not, so dont jump down my throat or whatever,

The rank of your school does NOT affect your marks.

This is because the schools are ranked annually based on the performance of the Year 12 cohort for that year.

Any ranking you see for your school was based on last year's or some other year's cohort and will not affect the ranks for 2009.

It may give you an idea of how well your school has gone in the past but it won't affect how well your cohort will go.

A school may move up or down in the rankings by quite a few places between years.

First of all your school ranks you.

The schools tells the BOS those ranks (via marks and gaps).

You sit the HSC.

The exams are marked, marks moderated, aligned and scaled - depending on what needs to be done to the marks at each stage.

The HSC results and UAI results are sent to students.

Schools are ranked on these results.

With that process you can see that last year's rank of your school will have no bearing on your performance but rather your performance will determine the rank of your school for 2009.

RuffWoof

HSC
Hell yeah school ranks affect your mark.

People that oppose this fact are those that go to schools with mediocre rankings (i.e. outside the top 20) and hence need this propaganda for themselves and others alike as motivation.

This is why people aim to go to selective schools in order to get higher scaling for internal marks.

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
Hell yeah school ranks affect your mark.

People that oppose this fact are those that go to schools with mediocre rankings (i.e. outside the top 20) and hence need this propaganda for themselves and others alike as motivation.

This is why people aim to go to selective schools in order to get higher scaling for internal marks.
except no.

in 07 my school was ranked like 646th or something ridiculous. Top UAI for grad year 07 was 91 or something.

after my grade in 08 it was in the top 300 or something.
My UAI was 95.25
My schools dux's was 98.65.
We had a heap of 92s, 94s and 96s.
A lot of high 80s.

RuffWoof

HSC
except no.

in 07 my school was ranked like 646th or something ridiculous. Top UAI for grad year 07 was 91 or something.

after my grade in 08 it was in the top 300 or something.
My UAI was 95.25
My schools dux's was 98.65.
We had a heap of 92s, 94s and 96s.
A lot of high 80s.
Ok, I'm not trying to talk down your great UAI or anything, but 98.65 at my school lies below median and people that get in the 80s are considered 'bludgers'.

spence

HSC
Ok, I'm not trying to talk down your great UAI or anything, but 98.65 at my school lies below median and people that get in the 80s are considered 'bludgers'.
and we're all very happy for you, but what's your point?

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
which is why your school is assumably ranked higher (and is probably selective?), but its not that school rank thats enables such results. its just indicative of the results of past years and with in the consistantly highly ranked schools an indicator of where you can expect your marks to lie, ie your example sof 98 as a median.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)