ACST101 and STAT170 not advisable together? (1 Viewer)

rayy_bann

HSC
We were told today that ACST101 and STAT170 can be rather challenging for students, especially for those who do not perform very well in maths. I wouldn't know how to classify myself in regards to math ability, but I did wonder if I could actually handle it.

Basically, does anyone agree with doing these two units in separate semesters if one is not particularly good at math?

If so, which unit do you think would be better done during semester 1 and semester 2?

Thanks!

Fisiks

HSC
I've heard stat170 is very easy so if maths isn't your strong suit, take stat170 first. I think the math involved in acst101 is similar to the financial maths part in the hsc mathematics course if that gives you any indication of the difficulty.

You could also take the planet unit math123 http://www.handbook.mq.edu.au/2012/Units/UGUnit/MATH123 and do those units at a later time.

just my 2c...

FTW

HSC
The handbook says:

A background of HSC Mathematics or equivalent numerical competency is desirable.

But what are you doing it for? As an elective?

rayy_bann

HSC
I've heard stat170 is very easy so if maths isn't your strong suit, take stat170 first. I think the math involved in acst101 is similar to the financial maths part in the hsc mathematics course if that gives you any indication of the difficulty.

You could also take the planet unit math123 http://www.handbook.mq.edu.au/2012/Units/UGUnit/MATH123 and do those units at a later time.

just my 2c...
Hey thanks for your input!

Yeah its good because I chose to do STAT170 in first semester. When I tried hard in maths ext during HSC, I did well, but not exceedingly well. So in saying that, its good that I put ACST as second semester as opposed to having both maths related subjects in one semester.

rayy_bann

HSC
The handbook says:

A background of HSC Mathematics or equivalent numerical competency is desirable.

But what are you doing it for? As an elective?
What unit are you talking about?

I'm doing ACST because its part of my foundation units in my Commerce degree
I'm doing STAT170 because I haven't decided if i'm doing Finance or International business as my major in comm during second year. Hence, I'm doing it as both these majors require it. Therefore I don't waste time.

And btw I do have a competent Ext. 1 Maths background, its just I perform better and am more confident in writing subjects

gsweeper

HSC
Stat 170 is boring, not hard. If you can keep yourself motivated through the course, there are some pretty easy marks there for the taking. Unfortunately the hard bit is getting over the boredom.

Acst101 is challenging, but it is not hard by any means. If you keep on top of your work, again there are easy marks there to be taken.

gsweeper

HSC
Oh and the handbook isn't always accurate. I know plenty of people that only did general maths at school who easily beat people that did 3/4 unit, it's a different ball game at uni, just keep on top of your work and you'll be sweet.

rayy_bann

HSC
Oh and the handbook isn't always accurate. I know plenty of people that only did general maths at school who easily beat people that did 3/4 unit, it's a different ball game at uni, just keep on top of your work and you'll be sweet.
Oh thanks for that! its good to know! :)

builder2818

HSC
This is how I am approaching things. I finished school 14 years ago and only did General Maths if that's what it's called these days. It was called maths in society when I was at school. I have been teaching myself higher levels of maths now online and I find the concepts are coming to me better than I thought. As a teenager I would just immediately switch off if things seemed too confusing. I have done 3 physics subjects as part of a building diploma and a maths subject as part of a diploma of financial services and managed to get distinctions in them. I know it was only tafe but because I had a keen interest in the subject, I put the effort in.

gsweeper

HSC
This is how I am approaching things. I finished school 14 years ago and only did General Maths if that's what it's called these days. It was called maths in society when I was at school. I have been teaching myself higher levels of maths now online and I find the concepts are coming to me better than I thought. As a teenager I would just immediately switch off if things seemed too confusing. I have done 3 physics subjects as part of a building diploma and a maths subject as part of a diploma of financial services and managed to get distinctions in them. I know it was only tafe but because I had a keen interest in the subject, I put the effort in.
Don't worry about it too much, as long as you can grasp the fundamentals, they kind of re teach it to you in their own way. You'll be fine.

rayy_bann

HSC
Thanks for that insightful input! Yeah its good now knowing that there's always ways around things especially if you're not that experienced in a certain subject or area. I'm surely going to take that as initiative to finish my university studies. thanks! Now I feel more welcoming to the maths courses!

MrBean1561

HSC
Uni Grad
I agree with this. Though ACST101 and STAT170 together doesn't sound too bad, I definitely wouldn't mix ACST101 with ECON111 (just my opinion though).

Last edited:

rayy_bann

HSC
I agree with this. Though ACST101 and STAT170 together doesn't sound too bad, I definitely wouldn't mix ACST101 with ECON111 (just my opinion though).
Hey what's your view about ECON111 and STAT170 in semester 1 and ACST101 in semester 2? ok for not a math oriented student?

MrBean1561

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey what's your view about ECON111 and STAT170 in semester 1 and ACST101 in semester 2? ok for not a math oriented student?
Perfect (I'm not a math oriented student either :)) that was my unit structure last year except in reverse order; I had ACST101 in Sem 1 and ECON111 and STAT170 in Sem 2 (as well as ACCG106)

Last edited:

rayy_bann

HSC
Perfect (I'm not a math oriented student either :)) that was my unit structure last year except in reverse order; I had ACST101 in Sem 1 and ECON111 and STAT170 in Sem 2 (as well as ACCG106)
So out of curiousity (if its okay), how did you find that timetable, was it good for you and did it reflect in your grades somehow? Oh and I'm doing ACCG100 (accounting A). this must be alright with ACST right?

MrBean1561

HSC
Uni Grad
So out of curiousity (if its okay), how did you find that timetable, was it good for you and did it reflect in your grades somehow? Oh and I'm doing ACCG100 (accounting A). this must be alright with ACST right?
That timetable was pretty good because for me ACST101 required a lot of time to study (i did more study for acst than my other units - MKTG101, BUSL100 and BBA102 in that semester). Those other units weren't too difficult so they didn't require as much study as ACST (imo). As I struggled with that unit at the beginning those extra hours really helped me and I was able to pass. Having ECON111, ACCG106 and STAT170 in Sem 2 wasn't too bad imo they didn't require as much study time than ACST individually so I was able to split time between them quite evenly, so going into the final exams in Sem 2 I went in with a D average for ACCG, D average for STAT and P average for ECON (I found this one to be the hardest of all imo). So yes i think it did reflect my grades, because if I had ECON and ACST together... I don't even want to think what my grades would be like :p

gsweeper

HSC
Hmm, my 2nd sem of my first year was a little something like acst101, econ111, stat170 and accg106. I managed to get 2 D's and 2 HD's but damn that was difficult. Econ111 is challenging but if you do econ110 first sem or have a decent understanding of econ you should breeze through it. Same with accg106 with hsc business studies. A lot of the maths in acst101 isn't new, but it's the elements that really kills everyone.

oh; although it personally doesnt matter, if I remember correctly, all the actuaries do acst101 2nd semester, meaning the average mark is a lot higher, so quite often it would leave not actuary students behind the average, but this doesn't impact your mark at all, more of a psychological thing.

MrBean1561

HSC
Uni Grad
^ I would not survive if I had those units in a semester lol. Did you also feel that the ACST101 lecturer was a bit discouraging?

gsweeper

HSC
^ I would not survive if I had those units in a semester lol. Did you also feel that the ACST101 lecturer was a bit discouraging?
DAVID WESTCOTT IS KING! lol, I loved him, angry old bastard really knows how to drill things into your head. His pure anger and hatred was quite entertaining.

Fisiks

HSC
any advice for someone who is doing acst101 and econ111 in the same semester?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)