» Karate or Kickboxing for self defense ? (1 Viewer)

mrsajmon23

The Szyja
HSC
Dont be follish enough to look at katas and think thats going to help you in a fight. Katas in Karate are specifically for the "internal" part of Karate, aswell as increasing muscle memory and reflexes.

hungwell1337

HSC
N/A
go join up with the shaolin monks, medidate and train for 20 years, then no1 will be able to roll you

Silent_Sniper

Watching you through my sniper scope!!! Getting re
HSC
Dont be follish enough to look at katas and think thats going to help you in a fight. Katas in Karate are specifically for the "internal" part of Karate, aswell as increasing muscle memory and reflexes.

Katas teach you style and also increases your speed... So therefore they do in fact help you in a fight... No your not going to do the kata in a fight but you will use the speed and style you have learnt..

suntzu

HSC
LOL @ all the stereotypical karate comments!
clearly no one here knows anything about martial arts..and if you did, you'd know all have their strengths and weaknesses, therefore showing there is no superior art.

mrsajmon23

The Szyja
HSC
Katas teach you style and also increases your speed... So therefore they do in fact help you in a fight... No your not going to do the kata in a fight but you will use the speed and style you have learnt..
lol....thats EXACTLY what i meant, i don't think i typed it right.

doing a kata in a fight obviously won't help, but the skills etc you learn from doing them will.

mrsajmon23

The Szyja
HSC
LOL @ all the stereotypical karate comments!
clearly no one here knows anything about martial arts..and if you did, you'd know all have their strengths and weaknesses, therefore showing there is no superior art.
please refer to post # 20 you scrub.

DownInFlames

Token Member
where I spend the vast majority of my time
HSC
I'd be tempted to say kickboxing. I study Karate and find that most of it probably won't help me that much in a fight. Maybe it will be different given a few more years of practice. Who knows.

Out of anything the sparring practice would help the most, you learn some useful stuff like "It really hurts my arm if I hit you with that part of my hand, I won't do that in future." and "if I hold my guard out further it's harder for you to hit me."

Basically I look at it like this: Karate probs won't help me defend myself all that much. Neither will netball. It helps to increase coordination, flexibility, strength, balance, control. So it's still good.

I don't know much about kickboxing so no critique there sorry.

Last edited:

inhinyero

HSC
I am actually a frustrated taekwondo player. but between the two? I'd prefer karate over kickboxing

Utsawin_Guitar

HSC
you're a massive faggot, dont do martial arts its for asians who are trying to find a way to defend themselves because they are little bitches
wtf is wrong with you"? all im saying is that kickboxing/muay thai in my personal opinion is better for you then fucking karate, id rather learn some stuff, then learn nothing at all, and yeah i believe its good to learn all styles, bJJ, muay thai, boxing and all that,,...and plus the skill of someone fucking someone up in a fight is the individual, not everyone who does martial arts is a "shit" or a "good" fighter,theres plenty of people out there who do martial arts, such as MT, would seriously fuck you up and im pretty sure its open to all races,

whats up your ass? your daddies cock?did he touch you in the shower when you were young? so now your taking your vengeance out in the cyber world? go blow a goat asswipe, do me a favour and get yourself curb stomped

Silent_Sniper

Watching you through my sniper scope!!! Getting re
HSC
wtf is wrong with you"? all im saying is that kickboxing/muay thai in my personal opinion is better for you then fucking karate, id rather learn some stuff, then learn nothing at all, and yeah i believe its good to learn all styles, bJJ, muay thai, boxing and all that,,...and plus the skill of someone fucking someone up in a fight is the individual, not everyone who does martial arts is a "shit" or a "good" fighter,theres plenty of people out there who do martial arts, such as MT, would seriously fuck you up and im pretty sure its open to all races,

whats up your ass? your daddies cock?did he touch you in the shower when you were young? so now your taking your vengeance out in the cyber world? go blow a goat asswipe, do me a favour and get yourself curb stomped
roflmao

whiteguy

HSC
N/A
For pure self defence. Go krav maga, or find a good reality based self defense (RBSD)school.In sydney, try Flora fighting system, budo jitsu, join a good martial arts forum like Blitzmag.net to ask for something near you.

The thing with RSBD is that they go beyond the phyiscal part of confrontation. they look at psychological (huge part) as well and go beyond physical mpvements in the air.

Things like scenario training, weapons defence, tactics, etc...

If your serious about self-defence dont waste your time on trditional stuff like karate. For pure fighting techquies, extreme power, fitness, conditioning look no further than the proven arts of Muay thai, boxing, wreslting, BJJ, Sambo and combination of two or more of those will be Mixed martial arts. And the best way to find a good MMA , muay thai, boxing , wrestling gym is to look at the fighters they've produced. The proof is in the pudding.

SYDNEY gyms: Elite fight gym, bulldog gym, sinosic perosh, roots, gracie barra, gracie Oceania, ultimate fighting arts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)