2008/09 English premier League (1 Viewer)

08er

HSC
I believe agger is not as solid in defence, but is better than skrtel in other areas e.g. shooting, dribbling, aerial threat

SM_Liverpool

HSC
Agger is a lot more classy and comfortable on the ball, which is why he'd do very well in the Serie A, though deffense wise Mr Skrtel takes the cake as he is one of the most solid in the PL..For me Agger did not hit it off the moment he started playing, probably due to the injuries, where as Skrtel almost beat the fuck out of Harewood on debut. Though there is no doubt that they are the future for our deffence and we need to do all we can to keep Agger from throwing his toys out the pram and staying, though it will be ahrd to break up the Skrtel and Carra defence as they do so well together, and Carra cant keep occupying the right as Arebloa does so well there. Carragher, our greatest CB for the last 20 years,
still has a bit more juice in him, this season he has been immense, end of.

The amount of times he has put a stop to a goal threat and the way he reads the game is still as sharp as it was 4 years ago when he was slide tackling Ibrahimovic and Del Piero to keep us in the CL, and I will never ever forget how he played againts Chelsea and later on Milan, he kept us in the CL for those 6 minutes ET at Stamford Bridge in 05. If I had become a member on this forum 59 pages ago, I would have said Liverpool for the win, especially after some much needed strengthening on our flanks by signing Albert and Doss, although both have not yet hit me with awe. This season it goes to Manchester, but not becuase of their persistance and hard work, it is due to us fucking up and not holding on, struggling to finish off teams that we really should have.

But Oh Well, it will be an interesting summer window, lets see how Rafa goes, personally I think Rafa needs to stay, there is no point in bringing in a new manager unless he is the Special One, hopefully he gets the sack from Inter. Lets face it, not many other available managers have the bollocks to chase united, Mourinho will. But personally I think Rafa should stay as he is starting to get his hands around it and his CL tactics are amazing, as we all have seen. Why bring in who the yanks want (Klinsmann, Sven and all those over rated twats) when all they will do is die on the ass mid season.

Sorry about the long rant guys, hope everybody has enjoyed the season and hope every Manc on this forum has the bitter taste of the biggest home defeat in 17 years still in their mouths. I really hope it keeps you up at night in a cold sweat, just remember who did the double over you this season guys, always remember. 4-1. Oh My Word.

Y.N.W.A

-Stephen

Last edited:

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
and he does the job for me on playstation.
Haha man. I base players skill on their FM rating. For youth, they are almost always right.

But Oh Well, it will be an interesting summer window, lets see how Rafa goes, personally I think Rafa needs to stay, there is no point in bringing in a new manager unless he is the Special One, hopefully he gets the sack from Inter. Lets face it, not many other available managers have the bollocks to chase united, Mourinho will. But personally I think Rafa should stay as he is starting to get his hands around it and his CL tactics are amazing, as we all have seen. Why bring in who the yanks want (Klinsmann, Sven and all those over rated twats) when all they will do is die on the ass mid season.
I personally think he should stay - if he is only allowed to coach the side in Europe. It may sound lunacy, but clubs waste money on copious players all the time. Why not hire two managers - one with domestic expertise, and one with European expertise? Because, deep down, all Liverpool fans know you will not win a league title under Rafa. And all Liverpool fans know deep down that they would happily trade the CL trophy for the EPL one.

08er

HSC
I remember skrtel choking on his debut against some division 2 team but he has since improved exponentially.

mourhino for domestic and rafa for euro? *drools at the unlikely prospect of acquiring both managers*

Last edited:

SM_Liverpool

HSC
haha, one can wish. I think Rafa will crack it. If we bring in a decent fucking winger, develop Mr. Babel and inject him into the squad a tad more, there should be no reason why we cant do it next season. Our players this season have been great, huge turn around by Xabi, Arbeloa has always been consistent and Kuyt is doing a lot better, i've started to become more fond of him each game. Doing the double over Chelsea and Man United and Madrid shouldn't go un-noticed, even if the CL is Rafa's playground. We'll see, hopefully he pens an extension, though if he fails to do anything next season and the yanks are still in charge not to sure he will keep his spot.

As for Skrtel, I remember his game against Villa where he had a go at Harewood which showed he had some balls seeing as Harewood is about the size of Shrek. Im sure it was his debut, or close to it.

Last edited:

SM_Liverpool

HSC
Haha man. I base players skill on their FM rating. For youth, they are almost always right.

I personally think he should stay - if he is only allowed to coach the side in Europe. It may sound lunacy, but clubs waste money on copious players all the time. Why not hire two managers - one with domestic expertise, and one with European expertise? Because, deep down, all Liverpool fans know you will not win a league title under Rafa. And all Liverpool fans know deep down that they would happily trade the CL trophy for the EPL one.
I thought that we'd never do it, after coming 4th again last season, but from the start of this season my mind and perspective changed. People blaming Rafa for stupid things like drawing against Fullham, Stoke etc need to wake up. Look at the team we fielded against them, with the excpetion of one or two games where we left Keane and El Nino on the bench, we should have destroyed them, but no, Rafa is at fault because of his mad rotation policy. As for employing 2 managers,there is no way it will work. Rafa is way to stubborn. Roy Evans and Gerard tried that at the start, did not work.

Bar Rafa I can only think of one manager who would do it for us, that's Jose. What will be the point of sacking Rafa, bringing in who the yanks like, fucking up starting all over again, by which then united would probably beat us in PL tittles and equaled CL tittles.
Give Rafa the chance ffs, at least one more season, if he fails to do anything then with possible new signings then I wont be able to make many more excuses for him. We did not push this hard under Roy Evans, nor did we under Gerard bar 2001/2002 season, though we were still something like 8 points behind the Gooners.

Last edited:

08er

HSC
his rotation policy was one of his biggest downfalls and a major reason why we're behind this season. keeping a fit torres on the bench is insane seeing we have to win every game in the epl. babel is an exciting player but highly inconsistent and this is with no help from the manager, who subs him on with 20 mins left of each game. he's a self-confessed striker but with rafa putting torres up front by himself, theres no room for babel except on the left. one of many ways to improve now is to sign attacking players in the next transfer window in order to add to our depth which we are obviously lacking.

SM_Liverpool

HSC
his rotation policy was one of his biggest downfalls and a major reason why we're behind this season. keeping a fit torres on the bench is insane seeing we have to win every game in the epl. babel is an exciting player but highly inconsistent and this is with no help from the manager, who subs him on with 20 mins left of each game. he's a self-confessed striker but with rafa putting torres up front by himself, theres no room for babel except on the left. one of many ways to improve now is to sign attacking players in the next transfer window in order to add to our depth which we are obviously lacking.
Yeh pretty much what I have been saying in regards to width. As much as we'd all like to bame Rafa, there were some games when Torres was not match fit and that bringign him on would be pointless, though some games I cant justify, but in saying that,

Reina

Arbeloa Carragher Skrtel Dossena/Aurelio

Mascherano Alonso

Benayoun Gerrard Riera
Kuyt

Should have finished off the lower team we drew againts, end of. If UTD played Nani, Park, Wellbeck and Rafel they would have done it, no excuses, that is why for a mjaority of our drawn games, Rafa cant be blamed, why should he be? Though there are excpetions.

Not to sure where Babel will fit in as i'd like to see him play as a CF or striker, but somebody will miss out, i.e, Mascherano becuase Gerrard would have to be brought back, unless ofcourse Rafa does the smart thing and rids Riera. Useless, started off good but now I just dont see it in him, way to slow, looses the ball too many times.

SM_Liverpool

HSC
Valencia much need the Euro, but their asking price for the David's is fucking stupid. Apart from them I cant think of any other players we could get that would make a tittle changing difference. Podolski was linked with us for a strange fee of 10m, but then again he is not a winger. Would not say no to Lennon on the left though.

Last edited:

08er

HSC
riera was awful against manu. i believe some of the best in-form wingers are in the premiership... lennon and young. david silva is too similar to benayoun so it would be a waste to spend on him.

SM_Liverpool

HSC
Similar to Benayoun? Your having a dig right?

Maybe in position as they both do well playing in the whole behind the striker, but their techniques, ability and skills cant be compared. Yossi is good for quick impact coming off the bench as he is technical and weaves his way in and out good, but Silva is about 5 years younger and on a whole different level.
Yossi is not really a starter, if we sign Silva it would be for over 30m pound, he would definitely, DEFINITELY start. There is no way Yossi would be 1st in the pecking order if we get Silva so it doesn't really matter if he is too similar....

Last edited:

08er

HSC
ive only seen silva play 2-3 times and that was during the euro cup, and on that basis i can definitely see similarities between him and yossi. silva tends to drift into the centre where he 'weaves his way in and out'.

SM_Liverpool

HSC
Silva can play as an AM/CF type player or a winger, either 3, (INCASE PEOPLE CANT READ) so like I said, that is the similarities with he and Yossi, but the fact is that Silva is a much better, quicker and technically gifted player, so if we sign him, which we really should, Yossi will hardly be pushing for a starting spot against him, and dont get me wrong, I love Yossi as a player, he's one of the best off the bench when were down or were drawing, but regardless of similarities he is not a better player then Silva. It's like comparing Gerrard to Koren ;););)

Last edited:

08er

HSC
you cant simply make those assumptions; what if silva doesnt adapt to the epl or doesnt perform? does he still get a start ahead of yossi?

SM_Liverpool

HSC
So why bother spending 30m on him then? Why bother spending anything on a player from a foreign league? Why bother spending 20m on Torres, ridding the squad of a decent player in Garcia?

It was a punt and it worked didn't it? Many of punters and critics doubted Torres, yet look how he did 1st season. Silva is in the same boat, he, like Torres, is young, has to an extent established himself and is a fair good player. Im not going to lie, not many Liverpool fans would choose Yossi Benayoun over David Silva.

u-borat

Banned
HSC
fuck me
you're both clueless

how often has torres been fully healthy(ie, not recovering from an injury) and on the bench?
i can remember one game exactly in two seasons; portsmouths' 0-0 draw last year.

dossena/aurelio is not a competition.
aurelio is one of the most technically gifted players in the epl and dossena has nothing on him except pace and a debatedly better cross.

get rid of riera?
a player goes through rough patches; bet you werent saying the same when he ripped wes brown and bosingwa earlier in the season.

lmao @ buying young or lennon.
oneill rates young at like 30 million pounds and hes a fucking nutcase; plus we have no PR with him anyway after barry fiasco from last year.
lennon is about as inconsistent as they come and even when he's fully firing his end product is suss.

ahahahaha @ smliverpool, stop playing fm/fifa/pes. silva as an am/cf type player? they're completely different things you tard. and he is in no way a center forward lololol

fuck silva; i haven't seen any marked improvement from his time at celta vigo which was like 2 or 3 years ago till now.
way too lightweight for the pl and i think that at best, he'd be a slight upgrade on benayoun.

Roy9

HSC
i like agger because he is so mobile along the ground. his ball skills are that of a midfielder, and he does the job for me on playstation.

pool won 1-0.
Haha. Fifa 09 right? That game's awesome... just waiting to get my xbox back so I can play it again

sk1001

HSC
ive only seen silva play 2-3 times and that was during the euro cup, and on that basis i can definitely see similarities between him and yossi. silva tends to drift into the centre where he 'weaves his way in and out'.
except silva isnt jew

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)